Contribute
Register

Haswell GT1 no QE/CI on Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
But i'm having 360MB EFI part, yet can't format existing partition to HFS :(
In fact, I may try to remove MSR partitions, but since I consider this as a failed experiment, I don't want to invest much time on it. I'd like to give NUC a shot instead.
*Note: I'm comparing with my external drive, 200MB is default size of Clover.

Your problem is the MSR partition.

Your problem is the MSR partition.

Thanks RehabMan, you're right, after deleting MSR partition (using Gparted), I can format existing partition just fine :)

Hi gman76, sorry for the late response. I think I'm gonna stop, there are many reasons, but mostly is because after I replace OEM SSD, and restoring original Windows partition, Disk Utilities won't allow me to add HFS partition (while GParted works just fine, but without the ability of HFS). That's just disappointed, since it's the whole reason why I upgrade it. Second of all, I've tried some other device IDs today, still no luck, so I think the chance is somewhere near zero. Regarding your question, I'd go for an i5 NUC, if you care about WiFi, don't choose RYK model, since it has an Intel WiFi card soldered. I personally will pick one of them soon.

About 2.5" compatibility of HP Stream Mini, it's not that easy. You will need a special ribbon cable (please see attachments), which existed in HP Pavilion Mini. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned that it can cost up to $75 at the moment.

UPDATE: MSI also has some interested barebones:

Thanks, tvhung. But what's the upshot? Are you still pursuing this? I've looked into MSI sff boxes they've intro'd recently but it seems to be safer to go with the Brix. I'd also like a case that accommodates at least one 2.5" drive, so the MSI is out. And the more I read about celerons (for hackintosh), the more I move away. The stream mini was a nice option since it already has Win8 installed. The main issue with all the NUCs seems to be the built-in wifi, which I think I need.

This makes me rethink my strategy - I can give my wife the mac mini (which has wifi) and for myself build the new Brix/NUC (which doesnt need wifi). I need a dual boot machine for work related things (SPICE, pcb layout tools) and other utilities that are not ported to OS X.

Hi gman, i'm done with Hackintosh on HP Stream Mini, after I installed Clover, it messed up stock EFI partition, and couldn't boot to Windows anymore, so I restored to OEM Windows. I'm ordering a NUC, I guess I can live with LAN port ATM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back