Contribute
Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have a new ML dualboot with Win 7. I tried the Realtimeisuniversal fix, but the time is still off. It "stays" correct for an hr, or less maybe, then jumps back to the wrong time again.

Is there any other fix, then the realtimeisuniversal? The only thing I did not do, since setting it, is boot up the mac side. Do I need to boot to the mac side, set the time, come to win7, set the time again and then it will work?

All help appreciated.

Regards
RealTimeIsUniversal is the only fix that doesn't require anything on the OS X side. You can try opening clock date & time in system preferences and unchecking the automatically set clock box.

I followed this guide, except my only difference was that I restored windows from a disk image. After I reinstalled chimera, OSX ML boots perfectly, but if I go into Chimera, the windows OS will not boot.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I followed this guide, except my only difference was that I restored windows from a disk image. After I reinstalled chimera, OSX ML boots perfectly, but if I go into Chimera, the windows OS will not boot.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
This is a Windows 7 disk image from a different build? Not same motherboard/CPU/other hardware as OS X?
Did the Windows installation boot ok before you installed Chimera again?
Windows anti-piracy check has probably got you stopped. When you install any Windows 7 or 8 it makes a file recording all of your hardware. It checks this file against your hardware every boot. If you move the drive to a different machine and try to boot it, too bad, the file doesn't match the hardware, therefore it is pirated software and will not boot.

Your best bet is to install from scratch. Then take a disk image for backup purposes.

It is a disk image from a copy of windows I had on the machine when I had SL installed. Something happened when I was trying to get ML up and running, so I had to make a disk image and erase my entire HD. The drive did boot before i reinstalled chimera. The only thing I have changed is I updated my ram to 16gb from 8gb. I think the boot loader just can't boot to my windows partition.
Thanks,
Clayton :D

You can use a hardware cloner where all you have to do is plug in the source hard drive and a target hard drive and in about 2 hours it makes a copy.

nice guide, i used it to install Lion and Win7 to seperate HDDs. no issues.

now I'm trying to install ML and Win7 to one SSD. so I create partitions in existing Lion using diskutil: exFat and MacOS Extended with GUID

then I start with Windows 7 DVD, select the exFat partition and format it. now installation cant go on: "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style"

so gtp is right, I set it up like this ;) but I followed the guide I think. When I set up with MBR I cant install ML, so i need some help to get this running, please.

nice guide, i used it to install Lion and Win7 to seperate HDDs. no issues.

now I'm trying to install ML and Win7 to one SSD. so I create partitions in existing Lion using diskutil: exFat and MacOS Extended with GUID

then I start with Windows 7 DVD, select the exFat partition and format it. now installation cant go on: "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style"

so gtp is right, I set it up like this ;) but I followed the guide I think. When I set up with MBR I cant install ML, so i need some help to get this running, please.

If you have Win7 32bit it won't work - you must have 64bit version to install Win7 on a GPT disk.

If you partition and format the drive in disk utility, making the partition tables GUID, format the partition MSDOS FAT or ExFAT, then use the Win7 disk management utility in the installer to format the partition NTFS, you should be able to select that partition and install Win7 64bit on it.

I have done this with Win7 Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate so far and haven't had any problems.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I currently have working copies of Windows 7 ultimate 64bit and Mountain Lion installed on two separate 64GB SSD's and I am struggling to get the W7 to boot in Chimera. The W7 partition has been in use for a while so I would rather not do a format or anything along those lines if it can possibly be avoided.

When in Chimera, ML appears as does an NTFS Windows drive and my 1TB storage drive, however selecting either of those results in a Boot MNGR not found, please restart message. I believe this is because the actual boot files are located on a small windows partition (~100MB) within the 64GB SSD that for some reason Chimera cannot recognise. Is there any way for me to boot W7 through Chimera, or failing that, a way to boot ML through the W7 bootloader??

Many thanks in advance!

In case anyone needs it my build is as follows:

CPU: i7 3770
GPU: GTX570
MoBo: GA-Z77-D3H
2x 64 GB SSD's (Operating Systems)
1x 1TB HDD (storage)
2x 8GB G.Skill RAM

does anybody knows what would happen if you do this in win7 drive?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-to-use-a-vhd-to-dual-boot-windows-8-on-a-windows-7-pc/4847

I have two seperate disks for os x and windows. os x is first disk. if I convert vhd windows 8 to diect boot in windows 7 drive what would happen?

theorically it 'll boot to chameleon screen but triple boot option along with windows 7 and windows 8? or booting to windows directory then choosing between windows 7 and windows 8 as the article shows? or all get messed up? :D

I can't get past point 2B.

I've already installed Mountain Lion on my 120gb SSD and it runs like a dream, no trying to install Windows 7 onto the same drive. The drive is partitioned into 60gb Mac Journaled and 60gb FAT32. It boots from the Windows disk, I click "custom" then chose disk 0 partition 3 but it gives me the following error message (paraphrased):

"Selected disk is MBR. On EFI systems, windows only on GPT disks."

Things I've already tried:
- In the BIOS I've changed the SATA controller from ACHI to IDE, no luck.
- Set the SSD drive as first in the boot list
- Disabled all other drives & CD drives

Please help :(

(Motherboard is GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, Intel Z77)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back