Register

[Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going Bald said:
Update log:
--------------------------------------------------------

Win7 + OS X on separate hard drives

Installing on separate hard drives is easy. It does not matter which you install first.
Boot to BIOS and set SATA ports to AHCI, power saving mode to S3, enable HPET and set it to 64 bit mode. Save and exit.

Install Win7, update it get it working 100%. Shutdown, disconnect the Win7 drive.

Connect the OS X drive, install OS X, update it, get it working. Shut down.

Reconnect the Win7 drive. Boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in hard drive boot order in BIOS. Save&Exit and continue to boot to Chimera time out screen.

Hit a key to boot Win7, select System Reserved icon (only if you installed Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Business and Windows 7 Enterprise) or the Windows NTFS icon and hit enter. If you would rather the boot process stop and let you select which OS to boot, select Instant Menu in MultiBeast to install.

---------------------------------------

This is exactly what I did. However when I boot I only see Lion option. No matter which buttons I press I never see the Windows options. But if I go into BIOS and without making any changes then click F10, then I see the Windows options when i get to that screen. This happens every single time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robzzz

Stork said:
Here's an oldie but good. One of tonymacx86's first blog posts, and it describes dual booting on the same drive.

Dual Boot Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard Using Chameleon

There are other guides, but you'll have to search for them.
Thank you but this does not answer my question, it doesn't even address it.

Let me try to be clearer.

I installed Lion to my Samsung 830 256GB SSD.
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to my Intel 520 240 GB SSD.

I booted into BIOS and made sure that the Samsung SSD is the first drive (In priority) to boot.

Then when I saved and rebooted I saw all the Win and OSX options.

So now lets say I boot to Lion. And decide to reboot so I can get to Windows.

I reboot and when I get to the Chimera's screen I only see Lion. Baffled!!!

Now if I boot back into BIOS and simply click F10 I will again see all the boot options. Until the next reboot. Then its back to Lion only until I go into BIOS and F10 again.

Does that make it clearer?

I'm assuming when you installed Windoze you installed it with the Lion disk disconnected. While running Lion, I'd download Chimera and reinstalling it with your Windoze disk disconnected. (No need to rerun MulitBeast.) However, I'll get Going Bald to answer your question.

Stork said:
I'm assuming when you installed Windoze you installed it with the Lion disk disconnected. While running Lion, I'd download Chimera and reinstalling it with your Windoze disk disconnected. (No need to rerun MulitBeast.) However, I'll get Going Bald to answer your question.
Okay, so you're saying that I should disconnect my Windows SSD, boot to Lion and then install Chimera.

Then when I reboot I should see all my boot options?

Did I get that right?

Yes. If this should work. If not, we'll try something else.

Stork said:
Yes. If this should work. If not, we'll try something else.
Well I tried it and it didnt work. Any other suggestions?

With installing Windows and OS X on two drives does multibeast have Chimera with it? Or does it need to be downloaded separately? I'm a little confused by the steps that need to be taken.

@robzzz

If I am understanding your problem correctly, on a cold boot from power up, you see both OS X and Win7 icons at the Chimera select screen, but on a restart from OS X, when it gets to the Chimera screen it shows only OS X icon. Is this a correct statement of what is happening?

Q: Do all icons show up on shutdown/then boot again?
Q: Does the same thing happen if you boot Win7 (i.e. on telling Win7 to reboot, at the Chimera screen do you see only Win7)
Q: When in OS X, did you eject/unmount the Win7 drive?

Hi there,

I have a new ML dualboot with Win 7. I tried the Realtimeisuniversal fix, but the time is still off. It "stays" correct for an hr, or less maybe, then jumps back to the wrong time again.

Is there any other fix, then the realtimeisuniversal? The only thing I did not do, since setting it, is boot up the mac side. Do I need to boot to the mac side, set the time, come to win7, set the time again and then it will work?

All help appreciated.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back