Graphics
HD-4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am posting this as a guide to my clean Yosemite install using clover as well as to get some feedback/suggestions on a few issues that I will mention. I never upgraded to Mavericks after my Mountain Lion install (no reason just content with what I had), so with the new OS and much refined Clover Bootloader, I figured this was a good time to upgrade. Instead of upgrading I opted for a clean install.

First step to any upgrade, create a back-up! For this I used CCC to clone my existing install and installed the latest chimera to make it bootable.

I downloaded Clover version r2988 from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

and followed Steps 1 and 2 from TonyMac’s guide here to create a USB Yosemite Clover Install:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

Once installed on the USB stick I made the following changes:

-Create 10.10 folder in /EFI/Clover/kexts/
-Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist*
-Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add FakeSMC.kext
-Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add your ethernet kext
-Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
-Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi

I also wanted to make sure I had the necessary configuration files as I didn’t want to connect to the Internet while I messed around with SMBIOS and other identification files

-Create folder /Extra/ on USB for supplementary files
-add Clover Configurator for configuring SMBIOS and plist settings (download http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/)
-add Clover (download http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/)
(I used version r2988)
-(optional) add TonyMac’s EFI mounting GUI (download http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=220)
-(optional) add iMessage debug (attached)

I followed step 3 in TonyMac’s guide here for formatting the hard drive and installing Yosemite from USB

**Note that when it says “About one second remaining”, it actually means several more minute. Just be patient!

I then installed Clover with the same settings as TonyMac suggested and loaded his standard config.plist into clover configurator and made the following changes

1-Enable TRIM for non-apple SSD. I added this to KextToPatch as follows:

111611-cloverconfigurator_kextpatches.png

2-Change Clover Boot Resolution as the native resolution was skewed. I fixed this by adding 1980 x 1080 resolution in GUI and added the CsmVideoDxe-64.efi

111614-screen-shot-2014-11-01-1-32-34-pm.png

111621-cloverconfigurator_drivers.png

3-I also wanted to update my system definitions and ensure that my MLB and ROM values were correctly be injected. I generally followed the guidance from this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

I used system definition iMac13,2 and used the magic wand to create a S/N. I checked that it was not already used by apple here (https://selfsolve.apple.com)
I used the uuidgen terminal command a few times to generate a unique UUID and copied it into SmUUID. I also copied the serial number+ 5 extra digits (total 17 characters) into the Board Serial Number.

According to the iMessage guide the new way clover generates the ROM value is from the last characters in the SmUUID, so I left that alone. I did not enter anything into the Rt Variables. Here are some clover configurator screenshots:

111615-cloverconfigurator_smbios.png

111613-cloverconfigurator_rtvariables.png

111612-cloverconfigurator_specialparameters.png

I now exported the config.plist and restarted.

I verified, using the attached iMessage debug, that the ROM and MLB values are consistent are restarts. Although I still got the message to call apple in order to activate iMessage, iCloud and other things are working. Before I call apple I was hoping to optimize a few more things (if possible).

To get audio working I installed the ALC898 audio using the installation command file found here:

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip

The remaining issues are as follows:

1-During boot, just after the bar below the apple fills up, and before I enter my password I get a scrambled screen for a short second. Not a real problem, but unusual. Is this a problem, or could it be theCsmVideoDXe-64.efi which has a warning about stability?

111619-screenshot.jpg

111620-screenshot.jpg

2-Airplay mirroring does not work (although that never worked on my ML set-up either, I just relied on airparrot for that). I attempted to inject ig-platform-id (cant find which number I used) but it just killed my graphics. Any ideas?

3-I noticed something weird about my computer definition. My computer is recognized as an iMac as far as the details are concerned, but my hard drive (computer name) is labeled as a Mac mini (See picture below for what I mean). I have not used that definition ever so I don’t know how that happened. I’m not very concerned as it doesn’t seem to affect much, but I would like to know why this happened. Has anyone seen this before?

111616-macmini_imac_confusion.png

4-Finally I have one question about my ROM value as it is returned from when using iMessage debug. The characters are correct but there is a space in the middle that I don’t know if it is a problem or a normal occurrence. I blacked out the characters but left the space in the picture. Is this expected or abnormal?

111617-imessagedebug_format.png

I think that is it, please let me know if there is something I overlooked during my installation that would make my system run better.

Thanks TonyMac and everyone else for the great site! I only hope what I wrote is useful for someone..

Attachments

• config_noInfo.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 644
  • imessage_debug.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey onamission nice guide. :)

I too have been trying to get my head fully around Clover and the settings for the Z77X-UP5 TH so this is real handy.

There's another thread here on Tonymac about the UP5 and Clover which may be of interest too you.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what is needed in the config.plist for this board and there's an example plist for the UP5 in that thread from jk2309. He has quite a few things checked in the Acpi tab of Clover Configurator that I've yet to determine the reason for. In my experience they make little difference that I can detect.

Have you tried using/creating a DSDT (supposedly not needed on these series Gigabyte boards) and/or an SSDT on your build?

My main goal is to get speed stepping working correctly. I have a weird issue at the moment where my CPU (i7 3770k) maxes out at 3.5Ghz according to Intel Power Gadget. That's after a fresh reboot... If I then put the system to sleep (fully) then wake it again, my processor will now turbo up to 3.9Ghz which is the stock turbo amount... A bit crazy but I suspect there may be a setting somewhere to fix it! :)

Thanks miv79,

In regards to the DSDT of SSDT, so far I haven't found a need for it. So I don't have any experience. What features/functionality are you trying to get with DSDT/SSDT?

I guess my HDMI didn't work properly with a first try, but I use either the DVI or Thunderbolt so I didn't investigate any further. Maybe that would be a reason for some of the ACPI settings.

As for my speed step I get the full 3.6GHz for my i5, and full sleep functionality. I have noticed that it can get stuck at full 3.6 under certain conditions, but its seems to correct itself. So I'm not sure how to help. I think this shows my speed step kicking in and jumping up and down. Almost a little too frequent!

114620-intel-power-gadget.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, great write up. Thanks for that. Getting your head around Clover is a little like learning to swim with weights tied around your feet. This made a few things clearer. I suspect you are correct about the CsmVideoDXe-64.efi step creating video problems on boot. I didn't use it, and don't have 2560x1440 boot screen, but that's fine with me.

One other issue that others should be aware of manifested in a really wonky problem loading gmail. On every other hackintosh I use (several as I have my office decked out with them) gmail is as fast as could be expected on fast lines. However, it loaded abysmally slow on this particular install. In fact connections via ftp to my home linux server was slower than an older motherboard using the realtek drivers. This was my fourth install, the second with clover, one with updating an existing system, one with a Multibeast install and ALL had the exact same problem. I was begining to think it was a Yosemite problem.

It wasn't. I solved it by deleting the AppleIntelE1000e.kext on the /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext folder and replacing it with the AppleIntelE1000e v 2.4.14 driver and now it works like a dream. Other have documented networking lock ups after trying large file transfers. Apparently the newer drivers are problematic with the networking chip on these motherboards.

To do this, I just took Multibeast 7.1.1 and installed the AppleIntelE1000e.kext in /S/L/E. I copied it to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts folder after mounting the EFI partition with EFI-Mounter v2. Then I deleted the one in /S/L/E, because it would conflict with the Clover installed driver according to some accounts I read.

So if something seems sluggish about networking speeds, try this. It worked like a charm for me and ended a 7 day streak of frustration!

One question: On the AOAHCIBlockStorage kext, is this necessary? I am using a Samsung 840 SSD and it screams as is. I noticed on Multibeast 7.1.1 that if you check the third party SATA drivers it auto-unchecks the AOAHCIBlockStorage kext by default. If it is necessary, then I can install it. If TRIM would speed things up, then I'll definitely do that.

Thanks again for the writeup.

Hello
I have the same motherboard and Im gonna try to install Yosemite with clover.
Do you have screenshots of the BIOS Config?

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back