Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best to just fix your patches... There are many patches now not necessary due to improvements in iasl disassembly, mostly due to bugs I reported to Intel (and in some cases fixed).

Some of the patches commonly used (in the past) to fix bad/buggy disassembly will actually break a correct disassembly.

Yeah hopefully it's just the big dirty "syntax fix" patch that I use as the first patch that needs to be trimmed/corrected. Same thing happened a few years ago when I was using an iasl version from 2013 and someone in this thread used a newer version.

Yeah hopefully it's just the big dirty "syntax fix" patch that I use as the first patch that needs to be trimmed/corrected. Same thing happened a few years ago when I was using an iasl version from 2013 and someone in this thread used a newer version.

You probably won't need any patches for syntax...

Turns out it wasn't a patch issue, just that the C-style assignments (X = Y instead of Store(X, Y)) weren't disabled in my disassembly script. Turned on -dl and all is well again.

xcaret: Update your local copy of the repo (git pull) and try again (make distclean disassemble; make patch all). It should work now with the latest iasl binary on RM's bitbucket:
Code:
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20160422-64(RM)
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2016 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     patched/dsdt.dsl - 14674 lines, 465421 bytes, 5622 keywords
AML Output:    build/dsdt.aml - 57375 bytes, 1768 named objects, 3854 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 58 Warnings, 70 Remarks, 195 Optimizations

Turns out it wasn't a patch issue, just that the C-style assignments (X = Y instead of Store(X, Y)) weren't disabled in my disassembly script. Turned on -dl and all is well again.

xcaret: Update your local copy of the repo (git pull) and try again (make distclean disassemble; make patch all). It should work now with the latest iasl binary on RM's bitbucket:
Code:
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20160422-64(RM)
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2016 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     patched/dsdt.dsl - 14674 lines, 465421 bytes, 5622 keywords
AML Output:    build/dsdt.aml - 57375 bytes, 1768 named objects, 3854 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 58 Warnings, 70 Remarks, 195 Optimizations

Awesome work, vbo!!!!!!! No errors now.

I can't thank you enough!.....wish I could buy you a beer :)

Yeah... you must have been using a really old version of iasl. "C"-style has been the default disassembly format for quite a while... (disabled by -dl).

Yeah... you must have been using a really old version of iasl. "C"-style has been the default disassembly format for quite a while... (disabled by -dl).
Yup: ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Oct 16 2014] is the one I used until yesterday :) I guess it was the latest when I wrote this guide and I haven't really needed to do much patching since then..

xcaret: glad to hear it worked out. Let me know if anything else doesn't work.. I updated the first and second posts in a few places to bring the guide a little more up to date (fakepciid kexts new names, current link for iasl..)

Hello vbo and thank you for this guide! I remember messing up with hackint0sh stuff 2 or 3 years ago.
Now I bought a 9333 for university use, and I had Arch linux with Windows dual boot until now. Now I think it's time to "upgrade" linux to OS X :)

So, just asking, the installation procedure looks way more complex than it was 2-3 years ago.

If I start now as a "clean" new install, should I follow your guide in the first post, or is there a way to fresh install an "updated" system (straight to 10.11?)

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Hello vbo and thank you for this guide! I remember messing up with hackint0sh stuff 2 or 3 years ago.
Now I bought a 9333 for university use, and I had Arch linux with Windows dual boot until now. Now I think it's time to "upgrade" linux to OS X :)

So, just asking, the installation procedure looks way more complex than it was 2-3 years ago.

If I start now as a "clean" new install, should I follow your guide in the first post, or is there a way to fresh install an "updated" system (straight to 10.11?)

Thanks for the answer in advance!

You should be able to follow the guide in the first post with a 10.11 USB installer. I haven't tested it recently but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you have any issues just ask and I'll try to help out and update the guide..
OSX host and linux VMs are the way to go if you ask me..

You should be able to follow the guide in the first post with a 10.11 USB installer. I haven't tested it recently but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you have any issues just ask and I'll try to help out and update the guide..
OSX host and linux VMs are the way to go if you ask me..

Thanks mate, but I guess I need to use a newer version of clover than mentioned in the original guide?

I will PM you :)

edit: I can't PM, could you add me on telegram?

Last edited:
Sure, use a recent version of clover. I know rehabman recommends a specific one in one of his stickied post (FAQ maybe) since the very latest ones have been buggy..

Post your questions in here and I'll reply.. better to have it public if someone else needs the info later.

Thanks mate, but I guess I need to use a newer version of clover than mentioned in the original guide?

I will PM you :)

edit: I can't PM, could you add me on telegram? If so, my username is jussihi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back