Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All. Sorry for my English mistake :) I want to send PM but i can`t I`am to fresh user :)

Can you help me ? I see You have Dell 9333 and running OSX. I also have this same dell. I want to install OSX on them. If it possibility to install El Capitan without first install Yosemite ?
I want to try OSX but I don`t want to buy MacBook. It is some reason why. Firstly in my opinion Dell looks very well and better like macbook, I`am windows user and I not sure that OSX is exactly what I want buy I want to try it.
The best options for my is install for test El Capitan on USB SSD hard drive because in primary HDD I have a windows 10 and every day I work on it.
Summary I would be very grateful for you reply for below questions:

- it is possible to install El Capitan on external SSD hard drive and boot from usb ?
- every working correct on our laptop in OSX or must change some parts ?
- OSX work fast and stable on dell ?
- can we install all update or be aware because some update may crash system ?

Many thanks for you advance

The guide in post #1 is for Yosemite/10.10. It will probably help you for 10.11, but may have deficiencies regarding some of the changes in 10.11.

Probably best to start with the generic guide and FAQ.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Hi,

Do you have any guide for Dell Inspiron 15R Special?
Nice XPS' guide by the way.

Update to 10.11.1 - everything working fine.
NOTE: Update Clover to latest before running the update! I didn't and had a nice bootloop after the update.
Pro tip for emergency clover update: grab the clover binary from the installer iso on sourceforge (7zip can decompress lzma on windows), overwrite clover binary on /EFI with the updated one, reboot. Everything back to normal!
vbo,

Thanks for providing this guide. Have you considered updating it for 10.11? I'm guessing that there are some differences, like kext changes and various other changes as well.

vbo,

Thanks for providing this guide. Have you considered updating it for 10.11? I'm guessing that there are some differences, like kext changes and various other changes as well.

I'm not really interested in updating the guide for el capitan.
For the initial install, you can probably follow rehabman's laptop guide for el capitan. His guide is comprehensive and there isn't anything special to this laptop that would prevent the install.
After the initial install, you can follow the steps described under post install in the guide. Everything will work perfectly for el capitan as I maintain the github repo that the post install steps use. I'm running 10.11.5 right now without any issue.

If anything doesn't work, ask in this thread and I'll try to help (now that i've subscribed for updates it shouldn't take 10 days for you to get a reply :))

I'm not really interested in updating the guide for el capitan.
For the initial install, you can probably follow rehabman's laptop guide for el capitan. His guide is comprehensive and there isn't anything special to this laptop that would prevent the install.
After the initial install, you can follow the steps described under post install in the guide. Everything will work perfectly for el capitan as I maintain the github repo that the post install steps use. I'm running 10.11.5 right now without any issue.

If anything doesn't work, ask in this thread and I'll try to help (now that i've subscribed for updates it shouldn't take 10 days for you to get a reply :))
Oh awesome! Thanks for replying and letting me know. I actually ended up picking up a different machine (a Lenovo laptop) but I might still be picking up one of these to try to run OSX in the future, so I'll keep that in mind.

Hey vbo,
I've been looking for a way to disable MEI check on my haswell Z50 and I could only find ur notes on ur repo, but I am not sure which patch I should use. Can you provide more help?
I can't boot OS X now that I have lost my IMEI after messing up with my BIOS.
Thanks.

EDIT: Your current patch doesn't exist in the current kext. Please provide an updated patch for the current kext.

Last edited:
Hey vbo,
I've been looking for a way to disable MEI check on my haswell Z50 and I could only find ur notes on ur repo, but I am not sure which patch I should use. Can you provide more help?
I can't boot OS X now that I have lost my IMEI after messing up with my BIOS.
Thanks.

EDIT: Your current patch doesn't exist in the current kext. Please provide an updated patch for the current kext.

I'm afraid I can't help you.. last time I wrote these MEI patches was for 10.10.something, so I'm not surprised it doesn't work with the 'current' kext. I haven't had to write such patches since then because I was able to fix my problems by updating the MEI firmware to an updated version which resolved the bug.

If you want to port the patch to a 10.11 kext, you will have to go disassemble the kext and go through the methods to patch it properly. I think there's some more old notes in my repo you can check. But to be honest it never worked 100%; OSX really wants that MEI device to be present.

Have you tried flashing an updated MEI firmware to actually fix your problem?

Thanks anyway, RehabMan provided the patch but my laptop still wouldn't boot. :(
Did your laptop boot with full graphics acceleration back then with your patch?

And please tell me how you actually flashed your MEI firmware and how I can do that if possible.

Thanks anyway, RehabMan provided the patch but my laptop still wouldn't boot. :(
Did your laptop boot with full graphics acceleration back then with your patch?
Sure, but my MEI device was always present and the ME driver was always loaded by OSX. The patches I wrote intended to prevent OSX from writing to the ME, not to disable the ME driver from loading. As far as I can remember, preventing the ME driver from loading (i.e., forcing the same thing as what would happen if no MEI device was detected on boot) always resulted in a reboot before the OS loaded. I don't think there's any way to have graphics acceleration without a functional MEI device.

And please tell me how you actually flashed your MEI firmware and how I can do that if possible.
Here's the link:
Laptop won't sleep/shutdown after a few hours of uptime
Hopefully one of the tools allow you to revive it. Be careful not to brick your laptop further though! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back