Contribute
Register

Gigabyte H87N Z87N [10.9.2] » Wake On LAN needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but I would someday consider a wol solution if you find one.

I believe I have found pretty much the whole WOL story. Place in your network a AE, TC, apple TV or an additional always-on Mac/Hac.
It would be nicer, if that is what you mean, if it turns out that the hackintosh network hardware (realtek, intel, atheros) is capable of being it's own Bonjour sleep proxy. (Like the Macs since around 2010)

B. At some time you might hit a point of diminishing returns, and might be better off with some kind of NAS solution for files (if that's what you are looking to be able to access remotely)

This first Hackintosh (low power server) is a replacement for a one(!) year old QNAP. File serving is great with that device. But then I wanted OSX account hosting with mobile accounts (Got that working!!!). And then I wanted printer and scanner server with native OSX printing dialogs. And then ... ... ...
Almost everything is possible, but it takes a $h1Tload of time and effort to configure. And all takes place in obscure Unix files via ssh terminal, with the help of hints from obscure weblogs.

The things I wanted/tried to do with a QNAP NAS was a case of diminishing returns: the spend time and effort increased exponentially with every (OSX) service i wanted to implement. I hit the point where it was better to just buy a OSX server. But there wasn't a small, cost effective, large storage solution from apple. So Hackintosh it became.

A. would there maybe be a USB Ethernet solution that could do this?

Found this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/96151-working-wol-w-apple-usb-ethernet-adapter.html

But clearly, his/her ethernet adapter didn't support WOL.
I already know (at least) my Atheros 8161 does support WOL. I am already way past that!
I want to know if (theoretically) my Atheros port can act as a Bonjour Sleeping Proxy, while the rest of the hackintosh is sleeping. This is advanced stuff.

But this makes me think: if the Apple USB Ethernet adapter doesn't have a built-in BSP, why should my Atheros port have one.

Apple probably wrote some .kext for some specific advanced broadcom chips.

Next: OSX Server.

OSX Server is not more than a GUI for services and functions that are built in OSX.
I immediately noticed that every service in OSX Server prevented sleep. That is the way Apple designed it.

Though, there is a way to make sleep possible. I got it from: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4303880

Maybe this whole thread I'm writing on tonymacx86.com doesn't contain much information specific to hackintoshes, but I am aiming to document the ins and outs of low power hackintosh home server.
By documenting what is normal OSX behavior (assertions, WOL, BSProxy), it becomes more clear what needs to be fixed on the hackintosh side.

Still on the list are in and outs of "darkwake" and the suspected weirdness (bugs?) of Mavericks SMB 2 sharing.

SO....What's the final prognosis Doctor WOL? I have an APPLE TV on my network AND I have a /h87N-WIFI with both working WIFI and Both ethernet ports working.

What would be the procedure for WOL on this board? I want to run a media server from it that I can stream my media but go to sleep when not in use.

If you dont mind helping, it might be just one more factor of reducing your diminishing returns! lol

BTW, I have made many Hacks... I wouldnt say im #1 expert but Im no rookie...this should be EZ..right? :)

Thanks either way for your efforts.

I would just use a simple setup first. Use the wired Atheros ethernet port (near the middle of board). See if falls asleep and wakes up. Add things one by one. Next step could be to check Wifi. I can't test that. Come back if it doesn't work and/or terminal: pmset -g assertions to check if some process is preventing sleep. Don't use SMB sharing for now.

I'll put it through the races when i get back in after this week. thanks for your reply!

Kev

I've been lurking for a while and registered just to say that is a fantastic thread. Thanks for all of the info!

I recently built my first hackintosh which was wayyy easier than I thought it would be. Here are my specs

gigabyte z87-d3hp
i3 4370
hd 4600
8 gb ram
samsung ssd for system
3tb RAID 1 with seagate NAS drives

Running Mavericks with OS X server

I'm also thinking about how to get bonjour sleep proxy working in my all mac network. It would be great to have all of my devices semi-connected to the server and wake it up when necessary through BSP's wake on demand. It would certainly make me feel better if my server wasn't running 24/7 unnecessarily.

Currently, it goes to sleep automatically though it keeps all of the fans running. I haven't been able to figure out why the fans keep running when it drops into sleep. I haven't yet tested putting it to sleep manually to see whether that works to keep the fans off.

I finally set up OS X server last night and kept it on overnight for time machine backups. the backups had finished in the morning but the server hadn't slept, so I assume Server.app keeps the machine from sleeping as you had noted.

I'll have to see if the NIC onboard supports BJS and how I could enable that, but it would be difficult to test given that the server.app keeps the machine awake.

So there are three issues now:
1) how to achieve real sleep (assuming no server.app) where the fans spin down
2) how to achieve sleep with server.app running and wake on demand working
3) either adding a sleep proxy or seeing if the onboard NIC has it's own BJS.

Would love to hear updates if you have any!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back