Contribute
Register

Gigabyte H87N Z87N [10.9.2] » Wake On LAN needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
posting is not working anymore, or what?
Just did a whole epistle on how i got it working, where is that post!@$&^$@&$Y(@?

Sorry, i now see it needs moderator approval. I'm way too tired!

Welcome to the spam filter. I have yet to figure out what causes it to kick in and shove a post into the mod box.

Interesting work around. Let me be sure I understand, you were doing all your WOL initiation from wired computers, correct?

I wouldn't think server connections would be any different between a regular mac and a hackintosh irt slept connections.... I guess I'll lean over and try it....

Well, OSX Server recognized the hackintosh was asleep but still connected. After waking it up, connection went back to "Normal". Did see that my two wifi connection drops from hack to server earlier today do show as 2 dead connections in the Server Manager.

source: http://stuartcheshire.org/SleepProxy/

Part Two: Setting up the Mac That Will Go to Sleep

5. Set up server Mac you’re going to put to sleep.

Some newer Macs have network interface hardware that includes its own built-in Sleep Proxy.

Further Debugging Information

For more information about what’s happening on the server Mac that’s going to sleep, you can turn on detailed Sleep Proxy logging just like you did for your Sleep Proxy Mac:

sudo killall -USR1 mDNSResponder
sudo syslog -c mDNSResponder en
tail -f /var/log/system.log
Now, after the server Mac has woken, you can look at its system.log messages to see what it did.

In particular, if you see “BeginSleepProcessing: ... using local proxy” then that means you need to go back and do step (5) to tell mDNSResponder not to use the local NIC proxy.

If you see “BeginSleepProcessing: ... Found Sleep Proxy Server ...” then that means your server Mac is using a Sleep Proxy it found on the network, and the message tells you which network Sleep Proxy it is using.

So the question is: Does my my NIC (network interface card/controller), Intel i217V or Atheros 8161B, include a built-in sleep proxy, and do the kexts support it?

I'm still unsure on where the line is between regular Wake on LAN and Wake on Demand.
Wake on Demand presumably has to do with only parts of the sleeping computer waking up. The darkwake flag has a lot to do with this. And I am going to find out what all these flags mean:

// gDarkWakeFlags
enum {
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly = 0x01, // hid tickle before gfx suppression
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone = 0x03, // hid tickle is not posted
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask = 0x03,
kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOInDark = 0x04, // ignore disk idle in DW
kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOAlways = 0x08, // always ignore disk idle
kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOMask = 0x0C,
kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark = 0x0100
};

My guess at this point is that:
if you have a mac without built-in hardware sleep proxy (+kext). And there are no available sleep proxies on the network (no appleTV, Airport etc.). Then when that mac sleeps, it will disappear from the network list on other macs. Wake on LAN may(?) be possible via magic packet.

I would be curious in all of your testing if you have encountered a situation where you attempt to wake up your hack from another machine, and the hack freezes. Happened to me, and wouldn't wake up via keyboard either. Had to force shut down, and after that, it corrupted both CMOS and the bios (Motherboard went into recovery mode and restored the factory F4 over top of F5 I had flashed many weeks before.)

I have a 2.0 version. F4 supports 1.0/1.1/2.0 as does F5. Or, I should say, F5 was offered up by Gigabytes own update tools running in Windows. For now I have left it at F4 since the only change they document for F5 is support for additional processors.

Gigabyte H87N [10.9.2] » Wake On LAN working better!

Furthermore, I seem to be solving my sleeping problems more and more.

The H87N Atheros 8161 ethernet port doesn't seem to have (supported) built-in hardware Sleep Proxy.
So you'll need an Airport base station, Time capsule or Apple TV (>gen.2).

If you don't have that hardware, you can use an always-on (never-sleep) Mac.

HTML:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder</string> 
<string>-launchd</string>
<string>-OfferSleepProxyService</string>
<string>10</string>
</array>

I'm doing that now.

I have a very stripped down Multibeast installation:

Multibeast 2014-03-28.png

"TRIM Patch" is for my Sandisk Extreme II.
"System definition", I don't have good arguments for this choice except the size/shape of my build is in the same league. MacPro3,1 seems to old for my new hardware.
No audio for the moment, because i'm planning audio over HDMI.

"AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset" doesn't seem necessary.
"3rd Party SATA" isn't needed, H87N doesn't have the mentioned SATA controllers.
No "NullCPUPowerManagement" and no "Patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext" (not from multibeast and no patched 10.9.2 kext)

No optional boot flags.

Results

Things seem to work pretty good.
Even though I am connected via bonjour file sharing from another Mac, sleeping seems to work after a while of inactivity. Just as I write this, there seems some things off. So I in my next post (tonight, or one of these days), I'll give more details about what exactly works, under which exact conditions.

Gigabyte H87N [10.9.2] » Wake On LAN working better!

Just have a confirmed sleep after 13 minutes (or less) of inactivity, while connected via bonjour file sharing (AFP) by another Mac.

At this moment I expect problems with sleep with mounted USB sticks and SMB sharing (Just read about apple switching to SMB2 with Mavericks and the problems people experience). Have to confirm that later.

I also am going to need to install OSX Server and check if that breaks the sleep functionality with any of the services enabled.

Just had another going-to-sleep under 10 minutes with inactive connected AFP sharing. That's what a good Hackintosh server has to do; save power, heat and fan noise!

Just have a confirmed sleep after 13 minutes (or less) of inactivity, while connected via bonjour file sharing (AFP) by another Mac.

At this moment I expect problems with sleep with mounted USB sticks and SMB sharing. Have to confirm that later.

I also am going to need to install OSX Server and check if that breaks the sleep functionality.

Keep up the good work. I leave my mac on all the time(I don't have to pay for electricity :) to avoid any wake on lan issues (and I also fold@home (and used to bitcoin mine)), but I would someday consider a wol solution if you find one.

A few thoughts:
A. would there maybe be a USB Ethernet solution that could do this?
B. At some time you might hit a point of diminishing returns, and might be better off with some kind of NAS solution for files (if that's what you are looking to be able to access remotely)

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back