Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Genzai is being rude - he is just honest.

If you are thinking about building a hackintosh you will have to do a deep dive into technology. And nearly all members will give you a hand if you are willing to learn something.
If you just are asking for "show me this" and "show me that" and not knowing the simplest facts about technical things which will encounter on your way, then you shouldn't be too surprised about their response.

This board is full of wisdom and tutorials how to do things right for quick results. At least it helped me a lot.

Just my 2ct ...

Correct me if I am wrong in any way.

I am sorry to say that you are wrong in every way. Mixing your G's and M's and big Bs and little bs all around. I suggest you redo your research. And i am sorry you feel I am rude. In fact i am just being direct. It is clear from your posts that you lack even some basic technical knowledge that as far as i can tell is maybe even beyond the scope of this forum, or certainly at least beyond the scope of this thread. Therefore i am trying to warn you, not necessarily discourage you, that before you can likely achieve success with a hackintosh you will need to do a lot of reading, and you will need to know much more about just basic PC hardware and tech. No one here is likely going to hold your hand through the whole process and so you need to start doing very competent research. Hackintosh is not hard (thanks to the great hard work and very helpful tools produced by the developers in this community) but if you don't even know what CPU goes with what types of boards or what a gigabit is vs a megabit i think you're in for a world of hurt.

Cheers, this will probably be my last reply to one of your posts.
g\

This is my Thunderbolt HDD: http://www.lacie.com/ch/products/product.htm?id=10599
So the HDD in it does 110 MBps, Thunderbolt 10 Mbps whereas USB 3 does 5 Mbps.
Because 110 MBps are 880 Mbps right? So that would mean that Thunderbolt gives me double speed compared to USB 3. Correct me if I am wrong in any way.

If your external drive does 100MB/s, that means it's a mechanical drive. That would work equally good over both USB3 and Thunderbolt. USB3 should support up to about 500MB/s, and Thunderbolt about double that (assuming you have a very fast SSD or a Raid-setup, most SSD's only do about 500MB/s anyway). I use a NAS-drive myself over gigabit ethernet and hit about 110-120MB/s.

So, your disk would work equally good if you use it in USB3 or Thunderbolt, or even attach it to another computer and share it from there (assuming gigabit ethernet). You probably don't need Thunderbolt until you have two or more SSD's in a raid setup.

The real benefit to thunderbolt is in professional applications and connectivity. For average home and small office use Ethernet, USB2 and USB 3 are fine for external storage. USB 3,1 is due soon and promises faster speeds than USB 3.

Thunderbolt will always be better suited and aimed at the 'pro' user rather than the consumer market. It uses the PCIe bus for greater i/o expansion possibilities than are available with USB.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Adrian B

Got TB working using the Windows driver step. As others, I found TB devices under the PCI device tree.
I noticed after waking the system TB devices were listed under the Thunderbolt device tree.
Can mount and eject TB/FW adapter hard drives ok but hot swap doesn't work as others reported.

before.jpg aftersleep.jpg

Hey,

I received my UD7-TH today and wanted to use it as an upgrade to my UP-5 TH.
Unfortunately it looks like that the Thunderbolt ports are NOT working at all. I've changed the sec. lvl to legacy mode.
I've tested it with a Seagate TB GoFlex and with a Lacie TB 10Tb Raid. Always attached at start...so no hotswap.
The boot Screen takes ages with the TB devices attached and nothing is showing up in the finder.
Also, under PCI-Cards, there is no ExpressCard Devices list...only that there is a ExpressCard.
It's shown as Base System Peripheral...although I had it plugged in during boot.

Everything else works fine.

Any advice pls?

So, bluetooth and WIFI working as well?

Maybe some interesting information.
I just build my first Hack with the GA-Z87X-UD7-TH
For thunderbolt accessories I have a Sonnet Echo Expresscard 34 Thunderbolt adapter and several Express Cards. With my Sonnet Pro ESata adapter I can throw out external hard drives and I can activate them again as long as I leave the express card in the adapter. Only if I throw out the express card from the adapter I have to restart to find my hard drive again.

I'm very interested by this new board but has the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH board's Thunderbolt 2.0 been confirmed to work in Mountain Lion? Or is Thunderbolt 2.0 only compatible with Mavericks?

To everyone contributing valuable info for this build, a MILLION THX!! I finally got Mavericks and Win 8.1 running smoothly, but I can't say the same about Thunderbolt.

Although Thunderbolt in Mavericks selectively recognizes certain things (Caldigit Station, Lacie Rugged drive), when it comes to the real reason for this build (Apogee Thunderbridge *link* - for music production) it does not recognize it or turn it on (booting connected or hot plugging). I know Thunderbridge works with the new Mac Pro. (Don't know if that means anything)

I tried the Windows steps but the update did not help. Also, I have not been able to make Thunderbolt be recognized in System Report. I did see another user that had success with that.

My question is this... Does anyone have a clear set of steps on how to get Thunderbolt recognized by Mavericks (and not just as an express card?)

Thanks again guys!

*Intel Product Link Description*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back