Contribute
Register

GA-Z87X-UD5H USB 3 not work on Back Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my BIOS to version F9 released March 19, 2014 and all my USB issues disappeared. It may work for you too.

I recently completed a build with this motherboard. I was having issues with my USB3 ports and my Apple keyboard. It worked initially, then it stopped. Someone on another forum suggested connecting the keyboard with a USB extension cable. Apple keyboards come with extensions, so I tried that one. It worked!

I have the same problem that all of my 6 USB back panel ports stopped working after a few weeks.
I have been on Bios firmware F9 since the beginning and tried almost everything I read in different forums but no solution.
I even reflashed firmware F9 but no solution.

The problem must be hardware related and not software/drivers.
My USB mouse and USB keyboard is not working in bios setup when plugged into the back. When plugged into the front connecters everything works just fine. This is for me a strong indication that the problem is not software/drivers related.
Tried all 6 ports on the back panel but none of them is working.
I read about USB3 problems on these boards but this is not really a USB3 or USB2 problem, it is a general USB problem, let's call it what it is, a design fault in my opinion or faulty components. I tried several different OSes now (Windows 8.1, Windows 7, OSX Mavericks, Linux Ubuntu) and none of them have working USB back panel connections so this is a hardware/bios problem and not a software/driver problem.

If somebody had/has the same problem and was able to fix it without replacing the board, please leave a note on the forum.
My hackintosh was working great until this happened and I really would like to keep this board as I like/need the features it holds. If it cannot be fixed I am gonna switch to ASUS if possible. My trust in Gigabyte is severely damaged.

Requested a rma from gigabyte but no response yet.

If somebody had/has the same problem and was able to fix it without replacing the board, please leave a note on the forum.
My hackintosh was working great until this happened and I really would like to keep this board as I like/need the features it holds. If it cannot be fixed I am gonna switch to ASUS if possible. My trust in Gigabyte is severely damaged.

Have you tried an extension cable? My keyboard refused to work on any of the USB3.0 ports on this board until I used one. Why would that work? An semi-educated guess, given my limited electrical knowledge, would be that adding an extension adds just enough resistance to get the signal into compliance with the ports.

Hi Guys,
are there any new information? I've exactly the same problem with my Z87X-UD5H (firmware F9). Just after two days my 6 USB Ports at the rear dosent work anymore.

Should I replace it by a new one? Actually, I've some doubts that the problems are gone with a new board.

Cheers,
occino

Hey Guys, i also have the same problem but none of my usb 3.0 ports work. They all provide power but i can't see them as connected. So theres power but no data connection....

I contacted Gigabyte and they said to update my BIOS to F9 (as i was on F7). Updated to F8 no change.
I was unable to update to F9 as Q Flash is out of date... apparently.....

Don't know if anyone knows how to update to F9 using the Efiflash.exe file they provide??

But yeah i told them i couldn't update to F9 and they told me to send them my motherboard so they could update it for me...
Still hoping to find my own solution as i don't wanna take my comp apart.... but may have to.

Anyone else had replies from gigabyte??

My board arrived with F7. My ports were working but my Apple keyboard would not work on any of the USB 3.0 ports. I was able to update to F8 but got the same QFlash error when I tried to upgrade to F9.

My build dual-boots with Windows 7 so I was able to run Gigabyte's BIOS updater there to get it to F9, but that still didn't fix the problem. The only thing that seemed to work was the extension cable.

There appears to be a bug in the hardware of these boards. I had the same issue with the same board and downgraded to a G87X UD3H as the supplier couldn't give me a replacement. To be honest I don't regret the downgrade.

Anyway back to your problem, there does appear to be two USB chip sub-systems on the MB. One drives the back panels and thats the one that gives up. Symptoms are working one moment and failing the next day. No warning. You can check easily by plugging an optical mouse in, and seeing if it lights up. No lights, USB chip failed. Mine did come back one day for a few hours, but went again, so it does appear a little sporadic. Front panels work fine. I suppose if you're desperate you can live off those but it's a hack.

I know its not software (at least for me) as I simply pulled my SSD when I returned the board, shoved the new board in with the SSD and carried on where I left off. No rebuilds or anything.

Two solutions, fill your slots with USB 3.0 PCI cards (I did that for a week) or return for a refund. As I said I ended up with the cheaper board as the only difference I could see was graphics output and I run dual 5770's for video work and turn off the on-board graphics.

Best of luck,

Rob

I'm having the same issues with my z87x-ud5h. I've lost the cluster of 4 on the back. However, they still have power to them. I can plug a USB powered speakers in to them and they will provide power. I can also plug in a optical mouse and get light but won't be acknowledged at all.

I've tried resetting BIOS defaults, clearing CMOS, etc etc but nothing seems to work. They did work initially but within a week of having my build going they quit working at some point. I don't really want to take apart everything just to send the mobo off for awhile. Gigabyte support has been a joke so far.

I was able to run Gigabyte's BIOS updater there to get it to F9, but that still didn't fix the problem.

Thx. I also have windows 7 dual boot so i used @Bios updater and it worked :) though it didn't fix any problems either sigh.
Still waiting on gigabyte support. Would hate to have to take my pc apart to send motherboard back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back