Contribute
Register

GA-z77x-UD5H HD4000 Win7+ML setup issues -- Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
NVidia GTX-560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am running into some issues with my build.

I had Win7 and ML running fine, though I had to manually choose which OS I booted from the BIOS boot menu. I tried to install Chameleon to choose between the two on normal boots and things have kind of gone off the tracks. Now when I start the PC it goes into OSX directly (unless I press a key to select Windows). But more importantly, my video is screwed-up and I've only got 1024x768 resolution (full 1080 monitor) and the dreaded flicker in Safari Top Sites.

I made a copy of my /Extras folder before installing Chameleon and I don't see that anything's changed. Here is what my org.chameleon.boot.plist reads:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hardware config #3 in my .signature
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
  • HD4000 Integrated Video
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • 120GB SATA on Intel SATA6 port
  • no other drives currently connected
  • Built-in Ethernet port
  • Logitech wireless KB and Anywhere Mouse

Boot drive is the 120GB SSD setup GPT and partitioned:
  1. 200MB EFI
  2. 72GB NTFS/WIN7
  3. 42GB HFS+/OSX86-ML

Set-up Sequence

1. Installed Win7 first
    • Routine Windows 7 install process
    • Everything works fine
  2. Installed ML via Unibeast ML (version from Dec, not latest)
    • Used Multibeast 5.21 and performed following steps:
    • Installed UserDSDT or DSDT-Free installation; Reboot; video fixed
    • Installed Atheros and Intel network drivers; Reboot; LAN fixed
    • Installed Realtek ALC898 drivers (without DSDT); Reboot;
    • Set System Definition to Mac Pro 3,1
    • Tried to get green audio port working (rev 1.0 motherboard), no joy
    • Resigned myself to using black audio port, working okay
    • Installing the 3rd Party eSATA and IOHCIBlockStorageInjector drivers
    • Also the TRIM enabler 10.8.1+ Patch; reboot; all is good
  3. Booted off the Windows 7 install CD
    • Selected Repair Computer
    • Restarted
    • Boots into Windows
  4. Tried EasyBCD
    • Added OSX86
    • Type EFI
    • Reboot
    • OSX86 no worky from BCD
    • Win7 works fine
    • Rebooted, F12, selected OSX boot drive for startup, everything is fine.
  5. Downloaded Chameleon
    • Installed
    • Rebooted
    • Only shows OSX on startup
    • Video now messed-up again (1024x768 and flicker in Safari Top Sites)

I'm a bit frustrated now and I'm afraid to start playing with things, as it took me 3 attempts at setting everything up to get each OS right individually. Now my video is screwy and when this happened the last time I had to do a clean install to fix it.

Any suggestions on

1. How to fix my video in OSX
  2. Get dual-boot working properly

Help would be exceedingly welcome at this point.

Some more info:

Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 3.52.06 PM.png
View attachment bumpintheroad.ioreg.zip

Have you tried to:

1. Remove <Timeout> key. It should then wait for you to choose.
2. Change <GraphicsEnabler> to <No>

Nice transcript, btw. Wish we would all do that...

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried GraphicsEnabler=No and it makes no difference. BTW, boot and shutdown time is much slower since I installed Chameleon, in addition to the video resolution problem. It seems to me that OSX is probing for the video card/monitor and not finding it, so defaulting to "safe" video mode.

Removing the timeout key did show me the option to select Windows 7 or OSX86 Mountain Lion during a hands-off boot. However, if I select Windows 7 the system just hangs at a black screen with flashing cursor in the top-left corner.

Also, if I press [F12] during the BIOS boot and select my Windows boot manager, I can go into Windows 7 without problems. However, if I select OSX Mountain Lion from the Windows boot manager I get the following error:

Code:
Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

...[instructions to run startup repair]...

File:  \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because it is
           missing or corrupt.

As for the script, keeping a log is my only way of maintaining my sanity. After screwing-up the install twice I figured I needed to keep good notes or I'd just keep making the same mistakes over and over. But thanks for the compliment.

I connected another hard drive and enabled Time Machine. Hopefully this will allow me to recover from any further damage I do working on these problems.

I set the Graphics Mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to 1920x1080x32 and now my resolution is fine.

But I still have the flicker problem in Safari Top Sites.

Any suggestions?

Questions:

1. Did you ever have Grub, or other bootloaders, installed onto the drive where Windows is now installed?
2. Did you have any of your Nvidia graphics cards installed in the slot, when you created this particular OS X install?

Wish I could help more (I'm sure many others here can), since I don't have HD4000, nor Gigabyte.

For hacking at chameloen issues, from teh chamleon 'select' screen', your can cursor-down at the highlighted option (i.e. Windows), and you have access to a variety of options. You can also just type in options right there, such as PCIRootUID=1 or PCIRootUID=0 (you could try those, btw).

But you might want to try another perspective-- put the Nvidia back in to slot, get it working alongside HD4000, and pull it out later. You will need to coordinate with your BIOS boot graphics settings, of course.

Going to try adding the following to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>8800000001000000010000007c0000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a000000496e74656c20484420477261706869637320343030302c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000005006201</string>

Questions:

1. Did you ever have Grub, or other bootloaders, installed onto the drive where Windows is now installed?

I never personally installed Grub. I don't know if EasyBCD installed Grub though.

2. Did you have any of your Nvidia graphics cards installed in the slot, when you created this particular OS X install?

No, none of the Nvidia cards ever touched this build.

For hacking at chameloen issues, from teh chamleon 'select' screen', your can cursor-down at the highlighted option (i.e. Windows), and you have access to a variety of options. You can also just type in options right there, such as PCIRootUID=1 or PCIRootUID=0 (you could try those, btw).

See above. I'm going to try putting the HD4000 device code into my plist.

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I get graphics working I'll do an image backup and then see if removing EasyBCD resolves the Grub error.

I give up.

I don't understand why everything was working before I installed Chameleon and now video isn't working.

I'm going to shotgun a few things that, based on my prior experience, will probably not work and are likely to hose my OSX install.

If that doesn't fix I'm going to start over with a clean install. Fortunately I have an image of the system with working Windows so I don't have to go through that again.

If anyone reads this (sometimes I think I'm talking to myself) and can suggest the best way to get dual-boot working without hosing OSX I'd be grateful.

i will a venture guess that EasyBCD is grub-based, and is causing the conflict with chameleon.

but just a guess.

fwiw, i use chameleon to boot OS X (2 different SSDs) and Windows, without issue. One of my OS X SSDs has chameleon bootloader installed, the other has clover bootloader installed (for the iMessage fix), and both of these SSDs have the plists and folders (i.e. /Extra, /EFI) required for booting with either boot loader. The Windows SSD has the microsoft boot loader installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back