Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the USB 3 ports actually mount a device such as a hard drive? I'm only asking because I've read elsewhere on this forum that USB 3 was detected by the OS, but an external hard drive wouldn't mount (although some other peripherals would). Ports that are simply being detected are not necessarily functional. This might be something you'll want to test.

Great to see the support for this board! I'm not too far away from getting one.

Any luck with the USB ports on the Z68XP-UD3P charging an iPhone/iPad properly?

I´ll test that for you asap.

Can the USB 3 ports actually mount a device such as a hard drive?

Well I got a thumb drive to mount, does that count?

Have to say though, my apple aluminium keyboard didn´t work in it though, but then again, I have issues with it in general, maybe dsdt related?

Keep in my guys, I´m solely using Lion on this board, so it´s early adopter style all the way for me.

I can understand waiting to pull the trigger though, I certainly took my time, but one night, I finally got fed up spending my evenings researching and dove in. :D

Hey,

I was using Lion GM in the first place, now back to snow leopard 10.6.8

I bought an agility 3 ssd, threw lion on it, and the ssd died after a week.

RMA'd the drive and will put Lion on it as soon as I get it back.

Unrelated maybe, but I liked the quadro 4000 better in Lion

(Driver is a more recent nvidia build IIRC)

LION or not, still having issues resuming with the apple wired alum keyboard, which is ironic in a way. Sleep and resume with the power button is solid though, if you can live with this it's perfect, but I'm addicted to having the computer in another room.

Here's what I got and liking it so far :

i7 2600k
16 gigs of gskill sniper ram 1600mhz
xigmatek gaia heatsink (cheap and pretty sweet actually)
PNY Quadro 4000 (Pretty quiet card actually)

How's the board so far? How's the system running?

Hey, the board is going to be fine when I get my ssd back from RMA and switch back to lion from SL.

The main thing that annoys me is the resume from sleep frpm apple wired aluminum keyboard and I've seen people with similar issues get it fixed.

I've been on vacation this week so I haven't really used it, but if you're interested pull the trigger! We\ll figure out the final details together! :headbang:

It's on the dsdt database after all!

EDIT: There's a new bios F4, haven't installed it yet, but I'm going to

Installed the F4 bios, not much change.

Installed LION on a spare harddrive, and I'm getting the same issues as a lot of other people it seems.

USB is really flaky, we're going to need new dsdt's I think.

I think the onboard HDMI via intel SB graphics is going to work eventually, tried some of the experiments on this site via dsdt and kexts, and got a garbled screen, it's not usable now, but it might be a nice to have eventually.

A couple of questions:

1. When you say the USB is flaky, are you referring to the USB3.0, USB 2.0, or both?
2. What do you mean by flaky. Is this the issue you were having with your keyboard? Is it only your keyboard or does the problem extend to other USB components?

If the issue only occurs with the USB3 ports, it might have something to do with the Etron chips. I found a couple of things on this forum:

From: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=19146&start=10

More testing with the Etron controller:

I broke down and got a USB 3.0 drive enclosure to test this out. Sustained read/write operations were in the neighborhood of 70-75 MB / second, which translates into 560-600 Mbits / second, nearly double what I was seeing with my old USB 2 / SATA bridge (around 320 Mbits/sec) and probably at the limit of the drive speed.

Unfortunately, when I ran these load tests, it would unexpectedly unmount the drive after 10-15 minutes. I could only re-establish connection by disconnecting the drive at the cabe and re-connecting. After some quick research, this appears to be a firmware/bios bug. Hopefully a bios update will fix this.

And:

Hi, I found a couple sources:

Feedback section on Newegg.

Some other documented examples of the Etron disconnect problem below. The problem spans at least linux and windows platforms. It seems that it is sensitive to which ATA bridge chip is used too. My enclosure has one of the more problematic chips. Some people reported the issues were solved when Asrock updated their BIOS.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/44094-usb-3-0-problem.html

http://www.pctreiber.net/forum/inte...patibility_and_stability_issues_14576.18.html

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...-to-sandy-bridge-with-the-asrock-p67-extreme4

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265903&page=28

Maybe one of the posts in the links above can lead you in the right direction towards a fix. It seems that these USB3 ports have problems regardless of OS.

Finally, I found a post from June (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=19465&start=10) stating that the Lacie drivers had been updated to version 1.0.7. Are you using the newest drivers? If not, the poster attached the driver. Click on the link and scroll down to find the post about the driver and the attached driver if you need it.

Hopefully there's a fix somewhere!

@tomhukk

Ok, I'll try to be more comprehensive :)

Been testing two things : SL and LION, and the flakyness I think is ironically just the effing apple keyboard

In both OS, I can't get resume from sleep working using the apple keyboard. I really think it's got to be a dsdt thing since I'm not alone.

In SL: Everything is fine concerning usb except the resume thing.

In Lion, I'm using the applehda stuff from multibeast, applertc patch, and the rest is stock my bluetooth dongle give me a lot of

Jul 30 22:52:38 Z68 kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService
Jul 30 22:52:38 Z68 kernel[0]: CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController::setupHardware super returned 0
Jul 30 22:52:42 Z68 kernel[0]: [ffffff802644c400][BNBMouseDevice::init][66] init is complete
Jul 30 22:52:42 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] staticPrepControlChannelAction returned error e00002c0
Jul 30 22:52:42 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] calling staticWillTerminateAction().
Jul 30 22:52:42 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] Failed.
Jul 30 22:52:54 Z68 kernel[0]: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice fail
Jul 31 12:56:50 Z68 kernel[0]: [ffffff8041738000][BNBMouseDevice::init][66] init is complete
Jul 31 12:56:50 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] staticPrepControlChannelAction returned error e00002c0
Jul 31 12:56:50 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] calling staticWillTerminateAction().
Jul 31 12:56:50 Z68 kernel[0]: [BNBMouseDevice][handleStart] Failed.
Jul 31 12:56:50 Z68 kernel[0]: [SendHCIRequestFormatted] ### ERROR: [0x0C37] (Write Link Supervision Timeout) -- Send request failed (err = 0x0002 (kBluetoothHCIErrorNoConnection))

But in all honesty, I think a proper multibeast/chimera/dsdt update is in order for Lion, and can't wait to test that.

Will test a huge file transfer over usb3 and get back to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back