Contribute
Register

GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Sandybridge - Dual Boot Win7 - Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
arbitrageur said:
Neverday,

I have a working 10.6.7 build on the same board, however using the 2600k and an ATI 5870. Followed Gordo's guide to the letter, save for using an auto-patched DSDT - link below:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16323
Gordo's guide works for me up to the point of install. I use easybeast for the install instead of DSDT. I can get 10.6.3 to build. I just can't get upgrade to 10.6.7, let alone boot on its own. 10.6.7 Early 2011 won't even function. I thought I'd wait for the next incarnation of iBoot, Multibeast or Bridgehelper.

gr33nman said:
Gordo's guide works for me up to the point of install. I use easybeast for the install instead of DSDT. I can get 10.6.3 to build. I just can't get upgrade to 10.6.7, let alone boot on its own. 10.6.7 Early 2011 won't even function. I thought I'd wait for the next incarnation of iBoot, Multibeast or Bridgehelper.

Gr33nman,

64-bit HPET, AHCI, base 32x, turbo/EIST/C-states disabled in BIOS?

For my install, I updated first to F3 and installed via latest iBoot 3.0.2 using a 10.6.0 OS disk, but then I used an auto-patched DSDT instead of Easybeast. Used latest BridgeHelper 2.1 and Multibeast 3.6.0 as well.

Stable right now at 32 base, cores manually turbo'd to 42.

arbitrageur said:
Gr33nman,

For my install, I updated first to F3 and installed via latest iBoot 3.0.2 using a 10.6.0 OS disk, but then I used an auto-patched DSDT instead of Easybeast. Used latest BridgeHelper 2.1 and Multibeast 3.6.0 as well.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to 10.6.0. I have 10.6.3 Install Disk. Whose DSDT did you use? Could you provide a link? These are my settings:

hpet_enabled_64-bit.jpg

64-bit HPET: done

ahci_enabled.jpg

AHCI: done

cpu_ratio_32x.jpg

base 32x: done

turbo_off.jpg

turbo: off (Performance Enhance: [Standard])

boot_devices.jpg

Boot Devices: CD-Rom, Then HD

EIST / C-States: ?? I don't see these. They should be on the same page as 'Performance enhance: [Standard]'. If I'm able to get as far as rebooting with iBoot using the above shown settings, will these really play a role in whether or not the rest of the process is capable of finishing?

Were you able to use Combo Early 2011, or did you use the standard Combo Update?

Gordo74 said:
The problem is you are using the Early 2011 10.6.7 for Macbooks and iMacs, use the plain vanilla combo updater (about 1.1GB) and all your troubles will go away.
Hi Gordo74,
Thanks for your reply.

In general, I get the plain combo update to finish, then bridgehelper, then when multibeast starts up, it restarts the desktop, killing the two 'waiting-to-restart' processes that have just been run. I also have to restart multibeast for some odd reason. Hence, I can't reboot from 10.6.7 combo and end up rebooting from the apple menu instead after I've finished with multibeast.

I'm not able to even attempt Early 2011 Combo at all. It tells me it's not for my machine before it gets any further and only allows itself to close without affecting the install.

After so many attempts expecting a different outcome, it does tend to make me question my abilities or my sanity... not sure which yet.

I know I'm missing something. No harm in giving it one more go, though.

Given the above settings images, am I right in assuming there are no speed-step or c-state settings for the UD4 Bios?

gr33nman said:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to 10.6.0. I have 10.6.3 Install Disk. Whose DSDT did you use? Could you provide a link? These are my settings:

64-bit HPET: done

AHCI: done

base 32x: done

turbo: off (Performance Enhance: [Standard])

Boot Devices: CD-Rom, Then HD

EIST / C-States: ?? I don't see these. They should be on the same page as 'Performance enhance: [Standard]'. If I'm able to get as far as rebooting with iBoot using the above shown settings, will these really play a role in whether or not the rest of the process is capable of finishing?

Were you able to use Combo Early 2011, or did you use the standard Combo Update?

Path of the EIST/C-States in BIOS is MB Intelligent Tweaker >> Advanced Freq Settings >> Advanced CPU Core Features, and located towards the bottom of the page.

As Gordo emphasized, I used the vanilla combo updater and not that Early '11 MB/iMac version.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

arbitrageur said:
gr33nman said:

Gr33nman,

Arbitraguer,

What DSDT did you start with when auto-patching it? About to attempt a UD4 build, but don't quite have my arms around the auto patching yet.

Thanks!

gr33nman said:
Gordo74 said:
The problem is you are using the Early 2011 10.6.7 for Macbooks and iMacs, use the plain vanilla combo updater (about 1.1GB) and all your troubles will go away.
Hi Gordo74,
Thanks for your reply.

In general, I get the plain combo update to finish, then bridgehelper, then when multibeast starts up, it restarts the desktop, killing the two 'waiting-to-restart' processes that have just been run. I also have to restart multibeast for some odd reason. Hence, I can't reboot from 10.6.7 combo and end up rebooting from the apple menu instead after I've finished with multibeast.

I'm not able to even attempt Early 2011 Combo at all. It tells me it's not for my machine before it gets any further and only allows itself to close without affecting the install.

After so many attempts expecting a different outcome, it does tend to make me question my abilities or my sanity... not sure which yet.

I know I'm missing something. No harm in giving it one more go, though.

Given the above settings images, am I right in assuming there are no speed-step or c-state settings for the UD4 Bios?

If you have a DSDT with HPET edits (the one in the database here or obtained via the DSDT Auto Patcher program), you can enable C-states and the like. To get to those options click "Advanced CPU Features" under the BIOS menu that you change the base multiplier.

If you install the 10.6.7 Combo update you do NOT need the Early 2011 update, as BridgeHelper installs the files from those updates that you need. Installer crashing when trying to run MultiBeast is normal. Simply run it again. I assure you, all has been installed correctly.

pianogineer said:
Arbitraguer,

What DSDT did you start with when auto-patching it? About to attempt a UD4 build, but don't quite have my arms around the auto patching yet.

Thanks!

Pianogineer,

Was a bit meticulous during the build, did it thrice before I settled on the third (all using Gordo's excellent guide) .. first time, used Gordo's DSDT; second time, used Kisgyopi's DSDT on the 10th post page 4 of the DSDT Database: Gigabyte Socket 1155 Submission Thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=11591&start=30

On the third try, I just used MaLd0n's DSDT Auto-Patcher (found it on Google, ran it and specified my board type from which it created a patched DSDT on my desktop), saved it and did a full re-install again using it to substitute for Gordo's DSDT but following everything else on his guide.

Think I'm happy with this one - quite stable at 32 base 42x, just benchmarked 15051 Geekbench64 and 49.95 OpenGL Cinebench earlier this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back