Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Portable
  3. SE
Hi. Not sure if I should post here, or elsewhere ?

I'm trying to solve an issue about USB3 HDDs plugged into the rear USB3 ports not mounting unless I use a USB2 Male>Female cable to "adapt / convert" the USB3 connection from the HDD to USB2.

I tried the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, but the USB3 HDD was really slow.
Removed the FakePCIxxxxx kexts and with the USB3 > USB2 "adapter" the "speed"" of the USB3 HDD returned to normal (whatever that means) speeds.

I followed RehabMan's & PJALM's "instructions" (elsewhere) about using iasl
(iasl -da -dl DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml)
to generate a .dsl from the the DSDT.aml I generated via Clover bootloader using F4,
rather than using the System.DSDT from maciASL

I read through the iasl result output, but it might as well have been written in Ferengi, for all the good it did me to understand it :( .

When I patch the resulting DSDT.dsl in maciASL using Patch>Gigabyte>GA-H87N-Wifi, and then select Compile I get the following errors/warnings:

• Method Local is set but never used (Local3)
Which points to: Store (D0D3, Local3)

• Method Local is set but never used (Local0)
Which points to: Store (0x07D0, OSYS)

As I have absolutely no knowledge about the "Black Arts" of creating a DSDT.aml, I don't dare try the resulting output lest I "break things"
(I have been reading a lot of posts here on tonymacX86 and elsewhere about creating an DSDT, but I'm not going to pretend I even understand a fraction of them.... As much as I tried)

Can I ignore the warnings ? Or am I doing something completely wrong ? (far more likely)

my hardware is:
GA-H87N-Wifi with F9 bios, and an i3-4340 3.6Ghz.
ASMedia 1061 PCIe SATA Card (Both ports occupied/connected to HDDs)

Software is:
Clover v2.3 R4049
maciASL RM1.31 (252.3)
El Capitan 10.11.6

I've attached the iasl output and the DSDT file(s)

Attachments

• iasl output.txt.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSDT Data.zip
    84.3 KB · Views: 91
Hi. Not sure if I should post here, or elsewhere ?

I'm trying to solve an issue about USB3 HDDs plugged into the rear USB3 ports not mounting unless I use a USB2 Male>Female cable to "adapt / convert" the USB3 connection from the HDD to USB2.

I tried the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, but the USB3 HDD was really slow.
Removed the FakePCIxxxxx kexts and with the USB3 > USB2 "adapter" the "speed"" of the USB3 HDD returned to normal (whatever that means) speeds.

I followed RehabMan's & PJALM's "instructions" (elsewhere) about using iasl
(iasl -da -dl DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml)
to generate a .dsl from the the DSDT.aml I generated via Clover bootloader using F4,
rather than using the System.DSDT from maciASL

I read through the iasl result output, but it might as well have been written in Ferengi, for all the good it did me to understand it :( .

When I patch the resulting DSDT.dsl in maciASL using Patch>Gigabyte>GA-H87N-Wifi, and then select Compile I get the following errors/warnings:

• Method Local is set but never used (Local3)
Which points to: Store (D0D3, Local3)

• Method Local is set but never used (Local0)
Which points to: Store (0x07D0, OSYS)

As I have absolutely no knowledge about the "Black Arts" of creating a DSDT.aml, I don't dare try the resulting output lest I "break things"
(I have been reading a lot of posts here on tonymacX86 and elsewhere about creating an DSDT, but I'm not going to pretend I even understand a fraction of them.... As much as I tried)

Can I ignore the warnings ? Or am I doing something completely wrong ? (far more likely)

my hardware is:
GA-H87N-Wifi with F9 bios, and an i3-4340 3.6Ghz.
ASMedia 1061 PCIe SATA Card (Both ports occupied/connected to HDDs)

Software is:
Clover v2.3 R4049
maciASL RM1.31 (252.3)
El Capitan 10.11.6

I've attached the iasl output and the DSDT file(s)

You should read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Plan on creating a custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

You should read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Plan on creating a custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

Hi RehabMan, thanks for responding.

So, if I vaguely comprehend what you linked to, it may be down to XHC vs XHCI vs EHCI (vs the Dark Side Of the Force....) ?

So. in my BIOS, what should my XHCI & XHCI Hand-off & EHCI Hand-off settings be ?
(Hardware: GA-H87N-Wifi, F9 BIOS)

(Before I wander off down the garden path of pain, torture, and insanity ?)

Currently I have:
XHCI Mode: Smart Auto
XHCI Handoff: Enabled
EHCI Hand-off: Enabled.

tia & regards

furbies

Last edited:
Hi RehabMan, thanks for responding.

So, if I vaguely comprehend what you linked to, it may be down to XHC vs XHCI vs EHCI (vs the Dark Side Of the Force....) ?

So. in my BIOS, what should my XHCI & XHCI Hand-off & EHCI Hand-off settings be ?
(Hardware: GA-H87N-Wifi, F9 BIOS)

(Before I wander off down the garden path of pain, torture, and insanity ?)

Currently I have:
XHCI Mode: Smart Auto
XHCI Handoff: Enabled
EHCI Hand-off: Enabled.

tia & regards

furbies

Those settings are correct.

You should read the "Specific recommendations..." and the linked guide for created a custom SSDT.

Those settings are correct.

You should read the "Specific recommendations..." and the linked guide for created a custom SSDT.

Um, you wouldn't be able to clone your brain, and lend it to me ?

man2brains.jpg

Can you refresh my memory about "Specific recommendations..." ?

thanks for all your help

furbies....

Um, you wouldn't be able to clone your brain, and lend it to me ?

View attachment 249028
Can you refresh my memory about "Specific recommendations..." ?

thanks for all your help

furbies....

Read the guide. Carefully. There are specific recommendations for each chipset.
It is as if you're not reading...

Rehabman, sorry if I was out of line.
(your comment to read "Specific recommendations..." was a bit vague....)

I think you're talking about the paragraph:
Specific Recommendations (7-series, 8-series, 9-series, X99)
The GA-H87N-Wifi is an 8 Series board, so you're referring to this ?

I did forget to mention or better describe in my first post (?) that all the USB ports (Front & Rear) work, but USB3 devices plugged into the rear USB3 ports don't show or mount (without FakePCIID_XHCIMux & FakePCIID kexts) but if I use a USB2 Male>USB Female extension cable (to convert the USB3 device cable back to USB2) then the USB3 HDD device mounts and works at USB2 speeds. (Upto 480Mb/sec) The HDD shows up on the USB3 Bus, along with all the USB2 devices I've also go plugged into the USB3 ports.

If I "install" the FakePCIID_XHCIMux & FakePCIID kexts, the USB3 device/HDD mounts in the rear USB3 port @ Upto 5Gb/sec speeds according to System Information>USB, but the throughput speed is very slow. And Finder interactions with the USB3 device is painfully slow.
And from what I can gather, using these 2 kexts is not meant as a long term solution.

Oddly though, if I connect the same USB3 HDD to one of the front USB3 ports, the drive shows as a USB3 connection (Upto 5GB/sec) and the throughput seems like I'm getting USB3 "speeds".

Does this information help, or am I off to the lands of "port injectors" ?

regards and again, thanks for your help.

furbies...

Rehabman, sorry if I was out of line.
(your comment to read "Specific recommendations..." was a bit vague....)

I think you're talking about the paragraph:
Specific Recommendations (7-series, 8-series, 9-series, X99)
The GA-H87N-Wifi is an 8 Series board, so you're referring to this ?

Yes, of course.
You only had to do "Find in Page" for "specific recommendations"...

I did forget to mention or better describe in my first post (?) that all the USB ports (Front & Rear) work, but USB3 devices plugged into the rear USB3 ports don't show or mount (without FakePCIID_XHCIMux & FakePCIID kexts) but if I use a USB2 Male>USB Female extension cable (to convert the USB3 device cable back to USB2) then the USB3 HDD device mounts and works at USB2 speeds. (Upto 480Mb/sec) The HDD shows up on the USB3 Bus, along with all the USB2 devices I've also go plugged into the USB3 ports.

No idea what you're doing without "Problem Reporting" files.

And from what I can gather, using these 2 kexts is not meant as a long term solution.

You misunderstand.

Oddly though, if I connect the same USB3 HDD to one of the front USB3 ports, the drive shows as a USB3 connection (Upto 5GB/sec) and the throughput seems like I'm getting USB3 "speeds".

Did you create your custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext yet?
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back