Contribute
Register

G5 USB 3.0 Front Panel and Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good guys... So far it's looking like 6 or so, I'm still a little reluctant to spend however much it'll cost to start the project as I'm still in college and my budget is so tight. If I can get a few more interested people, I'll be somewhat less reluctant.

As for an update, I still can't seem to find the cables needed, I found the USB and all the connectors but I have yet to find a solution for audio and power connectors unless I make them myself. What do you guys think is a good length for cables? The USB 3.0 one I can find is 50cm or 2 feet. The board itself is 3" x 1".

Sounds good guys... So far it's looking like 6 or so, I'm still a little reluctant to spend however much it'll cost to start the project as I'm still in college and my budget is so tight. If I can get a few more interested people, I'll be somewhat less reluctant.

As for an update, I still can't seem to find the cables needed, I found the USB and all the connectors but I have yet to find a solution for audio and power connectors unless I make them myself. What do you guys think is a good length for cables? The USB 3.0 one I can find is 50cm or 2 feet. The board itself is 3" x 1".

Price would be?

Would be in for 1, possibly! Maybe you could summarize the differences between this project and BlackCH's cable adapter? Is optical out definite?

Would be in for 1, possibly! Maybe you could summarize the differences between this project and BlackCH's cable adapter? Is optical out definite?

The difference is that BlackCH is adapting the existing front panel - where as this replaces it. I'm not sure that the audio header is optical - but he does want to make a four pole port so that it will work for audio and input. Also the original front panel is USB 2 / FireWire 400 - this replacement front panel would be 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Price would be?

It's looking to be around 30+shipping, and probably at least $25 more for cables. or I can link the parts and you guys can build your own since I can't buy them in bulk anyway... There are a couple parts that come in higher quantities than you need per board, and I can buy and supply those on a per board basis.

Optical cannot be included because of the adaptors needed on the motherboard side. You can't get optical from the HD Audio connector so you would need to run an optical fiber cord to the back, and it's insanely hard to find 4 pole optical jacks.

The difference is that BlackCH is adapting the existing front panel - where as this replaces it. I'm not sure that the audio header is optical - but he does want to make a four pole port so that it will work for audio and input. Also the original front panel is USB 2 / FireWire 400 - this replacement front panel would be 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Yes, the final product will also have built in reset capabilities so you just have to add a switch and place it in the case. With the 1 USB 3.0 Port, you will get a dummy FireWire 400 port, and with the dual USB 3.0 ports, you will have to cut a little slot in the plastic outlining for the original FireWire port since USB is slightly longer than FireWire. I can post pictures if you'd like, but that would involve taking apart part of mu case. I was able to make the modifications needed with an xacto knife though, so it's pretty straightforward.

I would love this too (with 2 usb's, not one usb one firewire)!

I might be interested. Could you post photos of the front of your modded G5?

Thanks for your work.

I might be interested. Could you post photos from the front of your modded G5?

Thanks for your work.

I have yet to make the board as I have been very busy with midterms, but I can post my current setup with dual USB 3.0 and reset to give you an idea of what I mean by the reset jumper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 544
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 436
Sorry I was meaning the front of your case, not the front panel itself. :D I would like to see what it looks like from the exterior.

Also how much would it cost for a shipping to France?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back