Contribute
Register

G5 USB 3.0 Front Panel and Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm digging the project! Got another G5 sitting in my closet that would be nice to mod. What color will the boards be? I'd personally pay a little more for a nice black PCB. If it's green, I'd stay away from it lol.

Keep up the nice work!

-Jeffinslaw

I'm digging the project! Got another G5 sitting in my closet that would be nice to mod. What color will the boards be? I'd personally pay a little more for a nice black PCB. If it's green, I'd stay away from it lol.

Keep up the nice work!

-Jeffinslaw

I imagine we (not OP since it's already going to be expensive to produce) could make a thin metal cover to go over it like Apple did with their front panel -- it's what I plan to do if these do get made ^^

My suggestion would be:
1. No modifications to the G5 case
2. 1 USB3 port, of course
3. Same old Firewire 400
4. Getting the same kind of audio connector as on a MacBook Pro with 4-pin (in/out) AND perhaps and also an optical output.
5. Including a chime sound thing (since your doing the PCB)
6. Mountings for an original USB iMac IR sensor

It would of course be a bit more expensive but would be a solution lacking nothing (?) for us who like the classic look on the outside. Perhaps one could include a simple switch to reroute the power led to hdd led or just let people move the cable...

My suggestion would be:
1. No modifications to the G5 case
2. 1 USB3 port, of course
3. Same old Firewire 400
4. Getting the same kind of audio connector as on a MacBook Pro with 4-pin (in/out) AND perhaps and also an optical output.
5. Including a chime sound thing (since your doing the PCB)
6. Mountings for an original USB iMac IR sensor

It would of course be a bit more expensive but would be a solution lacking nothing (?) for us who like the classic look on the outside. Perhaps one could include a simple switch to reroute the power led to hdd led or just let people move the cable...

1. Done
2. Done
3. PCB has holes for either another USB or FW400 (Done)
4. Working on figuring out the pinout for a TRRS/4-Pole Connector (iPhone/Mac style although controls won't work... maybe...)
5. Requires a micro controller + looks like Apple's ditching that anyway, I don't have the knowledge to build a custom circuit, maybe in 4 years...
6. Don't have one on hand, Project's already becoming too large to handle...

Production costs are blowing my mind, I've already put 15 hours into the whole thing, and am barely started not the final PCB design. (Chinese parts are hard to find accurate schematics for...)

I could accommodate for that, I can't seem to find the connector for the power/LED anyway so I'm working on another solution.

I imagine we (not OP since it's already going to be expensive to produce) could make a thin metal cover to go over it like Apple did with their front panel -- it's what I plan to do if these do get made ^^

Sounds like a great idea for people who like the apple style housing (although I personally find it absolutely useless, especially if you're hiding such a beautifully designed board.

It adds pennies to the final production board to do it in black, I wasn't going to do green anyway. I think in the same way btw, I open up a laptop and see a green PCB.. All I'm thinking is it would have costed the manufacturer like 2 bucks to make it a black or matte black solder masked board and it would have made things look a lot neater and nicer.

Looking at the original panel and using a 4 pin male TRRS 3.5 mm connector it is obvious that the fourth pin will not work unless one removes the bit of plastic on the outside of the G5 case.

It adds pennies to the final production board to do it in black, I wasn't going to do green anyway. I think in the same way btw, I open up a laptop and see a green PCB.. All I'm thinking is it would have costed the manufacturer like 2 bucks to make it a black or matte black solder masked board and it would have made things look a lot neater and nicer.

Perfect! Sign me up for two then :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back