Contribute
Register

Fix for OpenCL crash with GK110B based cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
am getting it at boot up. no flashing. am on osx 10.9.1
no back up, don’t know what it does or know how to do it.
but i do have osx running on a clone

am getting it at boot up. no flashing. am on osx 10.9.1
no back up, don’t know what it does or know how to do it.
but i do have osx running on a clone

Try to boot with -v and take a picture of the screen when it gets stuck.
Did you apply the patch in the first post or is your OpenCL untouched?

Hi, MacAndor will try -v and let you know. cheers

Do i open up terminal and enter this

sudo codesign -fs "OpenCLFWKCS" OpenCL_EXEC

Do i open up terminal and enter this

sudo codesign -fs "OpenCLFWKCS" OpenCL_EXEC

That is also where I became confused for a moment.

1. Open Terminal and type in (but don't hit return)

sudo codesign -fs "OpenCLFWKCS"

2. Open Finder, navigate to the file you just edited using the Hex editor

3. Drag that file from Terminal, into Finder. This will automatically add in the path to the correct file.

4. Hit return.

Terminal will look something like

sudo codesign -fs "OpenCLFWKCS" /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL

I just wanted to say thank you so much! It works on my Geforce Titan.
I now save about 60W power consumption!

MacAndo, I'd love to know the secret what hex values to edit:
Replace: E83DE10100F6C3057413
With: E83DE10100F6C3007413

I read your walkthrough, but I am still quite clueless.

Especially this confuses me:
"This is in the OpenCL_EXEC file at offset <0x21734> (in 10.9.0 and 10.9.1). (If you wan’t to tag along, then you probably need a disassembler)"

How do you know it's offset <0x21734> and not for example <0x11358>?
Could you explain a bit more please?

I just wanted to say thank you so much! It works on my Geforce Titan.
I now save about 60W power consumption!

MacAndo, I'd love to know the secret what hex values to edit:
Replace: E83DE10100F6C3057413
With: E83DE10100F6C3007413

Could you explain please?

Well, In the first post I have a brief explanation on how to find this value and why this patch does what is does. But giving detailed explanation requires sort of advanced x86 and x86-64 machine code knowledge. This you be only explaining what the patch does.
On how I found what to patch, well, thats about 3-5 days of work which would be a bit much to explain.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, sorry I read your explanation and wanted to delete my posting and could not. Then I decided to refine my questions. Quite the chaos on my side. Whooops.

So it's keeping magic to me. I don't even know basic x86 and x86-64 machine code knowledge whatsoever.
That means I can't do it myself in the future and have to rely on you.

Understood. :)
Thanks! :)

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

So it's quite a bit of magic to me. That means I can't do it myself in the future.

Understood. :)

As long as this bug exists I will keep this topic updated. If you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend testing your skills on system libraries :) Even I didn't make this public until I made sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

And if you have good logic skills, then you could learn how to do this kind of stuff in about 1-2 years (of course some extra years of experience would not hurt).

Thank you so much for this fix. It worked perfectly on my GTX 780 (GK110B) and it fixed all the crashes.

Now, all there's left to do, is for NVidia to release working drivers so we can actually start using these cards for OpenCL, instead of just disabling them... :)

By the way: maybe it would be better for new comers if you moved the "backing up" part to be before the actual modifications in your guide. This way more people would backup (as many are just following the steps without any clue what is actually happening.)

And for the guide, maybe to just put the actual path in there, but I guess it helps with the people who don't read the guide before they copy paste it, so maybe it's better the way it is now... So they actually have to understand something about what they are doing.

But any way, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back