Contribute
Register

Fix for OpenCL crash with GK110B based cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the fun of it, i tested the patch with 01 instead of 00 with the GTX780 and it doesn't work, the usual OpenCL crashes come back once again...

It is probably means something different for the GTX6xxTi series but as I said earlier, I can't test that.

Patch with 01 working for my GTX780 GK110-A1.

Hey, I have the GTX 780ti, will this work for it? Currently, I can run Mavericks, but I have to turn off my GPU completely and use internal. What will this patch allow me to do?

Hey, I have the GTX 780ti, will this work for it? Currently, I can run Mavericks, but I have to turn off my GPU completely and use internal. What will this patch allow me to do?

It could work, but if you weren't able to get any image kind of screen with it then I doubt it will.

Just to confirm: this patch fixes the GPU clock ramp-down for a GTX 670 (GK104) card. In the screenshot I've circled the GPU frequency change when opening a picture in Preview. Without the patch my card was stuck at about 1GHz after closing Preview, now it returns to 324MHz as it should. You can see the value in the read-outs on the right, too.

Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 17.32.33.jpg

By the way, the reason I didn't include a screenshot showing the behaviour without the patch is that HWMonitor itself triggers the bug, too. So it's impossible to see the 324MHz ever.

Just a caution to people using this patch to fix frequency ramping issues, you are making a huge tradeoff in doing so. Sure you stop your card from being stuck at high frequency but you are also completely disabling OCL GPU support which will significantly impact the performance of many apps. [...]

g\

The reality is probably not as clear-cut as you make it sound. Both, GPU and CPU, have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to running OpenCL code. See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9205915/opencl-cpu-device-vs-gpu-device

Even if we assume that applications can choose where to execute, and they all always make the right choice, we'd only see deterioration for cases where the GPU would have been the better choice. I'm also not convinced that for general usage the difference is that big. And for special purpose you'd use CUDA anyway, right?

The reality is probably not as clear-cut as you make it sound. Both, GPU and CPU, have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to running OpenCL code. See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9205915/opencl-cpu-device-vs-gpu-device

Even if we assume that applications can choose where to execute, and they all always make the right choice, we'd only see deterioration for cases where the GPU would have been the better choice. I'm also not convinced that for general usage the difference is that big. And for special purpose you'd use CUDA anyway, right?

Well it is quite simple if the individual knows what he/she wants. There is truth behind what you write, but when you don't need OpenCL then why not disable it if it causes problems that annoy you? No one will care if for example Preview opens a jpeg file in 10ms on GPU or 34ms on CPU. As long as you don't run special apps like FCX then it won't really hit you. For video editing you may even prefer Adobe products where CUDA acceleration will still be an option after disabling OpenCL.
For example I bought my 780 for gaming on Windows, so I don't really care for the missing proper OpenCL support 'cause OpenGL is working perfectly.
Probably a lot of OCL acceleration run much better on the GPU, but if the performance hit is not that much, then just leave it to the CPU...

I have the same problem. I got a Nvidia gtx 780, but not working on Maverick. I went back to Mountain Lion, preview and Adobe Premiere work fine. I am curios, is the problem with Maverick's way to handle open CL with the GK110B based cards or some other issues? Why is working in Mountain Lion and not Maverick? I know is a new card, eventually NVIDIA and Mac will update the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back