Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X - Which Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about EVGA Grphics Cards?

What about EVGA Grphics Cards?

EVGA makes good GPUs. Sapphire also makes good GPUs. These are the brands I usually look at first.

SysDef 4,1 is possible for without deleting AppleTyMCE.kext - it is what I use on my X58A-UD7 build. 5,1 definitely checks for ECC RAM on boot and will KP if you use non-ECC RAM. The AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext I do not know about. Might only be needed because of the dual 280X cards. I would try with it in place and use the 4,1 SysDef to begin with and see what happens.
For editing your existing SysDef, mount EFI partition, backup SMBIOS.plist somewhere safe.
Download and launch Chameleon wizard and edit the SMBIOS.plist for a MacPro 4,1 system definition.

Awesome! Using 4,1 over 3,1 got my BruceX Score down to 16 with 4,1 seconds from 24 when I was using 3,1! :clap:

LuxMark score down was 8649 with 3,1 - now 24575 with 4,1!!

55.61 fps in Cinebench is now 98.45 with 4,1!!!

THANK YOU

So I the last remaining issue for me is getting DisplayPort to work, as my friend had me get a 3440x1440 monitor (Dell U3415W Black 34" Curved LED) and I would like to get it running at 60Hz.

So far I can get it to work at 50Hz with HDMI, but I can't even get to the bootloader screen (Chimera) when using displayport.

@GoingBald

I seen that you recommended in another thread to try adding <key>ATI Ports</key>, followed by <string>4</string> (which is the # of ports my card has) to the config.plist.

My first question is: if I have two cards, would I replace '4' with the '6' - which would reflect the total # of ports (I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask).

Oh yeah, I tried Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1.

@GoingBald

I seen that you recommended in another thread to try adding <key>ATI Ports</key>, followed by <string>4</string> (which is the # of ports my card has) to the config.plist.

My first question is: if I have two cards, would I replace '4' with the '6' - which would reflect the total # of ports (I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask).

Oh yeah, I tried Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1.
This is something to ask of one who has dual cards. I only need one GPU to run 3 or 4 screens and have never had dual cards installed.

Hi there,
i just can add, if it helps someone to choose one or another model/brand, that my Sapphire R9 280x TriX just works out of the box without touching anything, through MiniDisplayPort on an AOC 4K Monitor at 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz.
Haven't tried the other ports yet, but the five physical ones are listed in DPCIManager.
Though it's recognized by OsX as a Radeon HD 7xxx Gpu so far. Gonna try to get it more accurate if a can. (if someone knows... hem i'm listening ;)). Have to add audio too!

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx :

Jeu de composants : AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type : Processeur graphique (GPU)
Bus : PCIe
Longueur de la voie PCIe : x16
VRAM (totale) : 3072 Mo
Fournisseur : ATI (0x1002)
Identifiant du périphérique : 0x6798
Identifiant de révision : 0x0000
Moniteurs :
U3477 :
Résolution : 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
Profondeur de pixels : Couleurs 30 bits (ARGB2101010)
Moniteur principal : Oui
Miroir : Désactivé
Connecté : Oui
Rotation : Géré
Type de connexion : DisplayPort
Télévision : Oui

Ive got EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 for FCP X, Premiere Pro etc and i must say its really good.
Ive made some test on iMac with gtx 780, newest macbook pro 15 inch and my hack with gtx 970.
Same fcpx file and the times of render (with export)
1.imac 11:30
2.macbook pro 9:30
3.my hack about 4min

After installing cuda drivers and adding "GTX 970" to card supported list u can use it in after effects ;)

So do you guys still think that strictly for FCP an AMD card is better than NVIDIA? There's been a lot of talk on this topic about 280X, but will a newer 380X work better than something like a GTX970? Will it even work with OSX? On the buyer's guide there are no AMD cards recommended. I don't want to buy an older card like 280X/7970/5770 or whatever else has been mentioned here before and would much rather go for something from the new line-up.

I am only missing a discrete GPU in my PC and if I can get OSX to work on it, I would mostly use it for Final Cut Pro, as my 2014 Macbook Pro 15" seems to lag and be slow sometimes.

What should I go for?

Hijacking the thread: Do any of you know if the R9 290X (4 GB) is working with 10.11.3+ (OOTB)?
Thanks your your advice! Have one of these cards and am wondering if I can use it for a special build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back