eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: eelhead's G5 mod a work in progress

eelhead said:
Here is a better shot of both of them,

IMG_4829.jpg

sweet! nobody will ever know you're running a hackintosh :D

I was wondering if there was any way to do a monitor case mod lol, I dont know if I can afford an apple monitor right now.

I would also like to get osx running on my pc... no luck so far :(

That stinks about not getting OSX on your PC running yet.

You might be able to get away with a monitor mod, there is more then enough Apple parts on ebay :)

Nice work so far. Get that tray in there and let us see.

Gus said:
Nice work so far. Get that tray in there and let us see.
Probably this evening or tomorrow morning :)
WoW has consumed me thus far lol. Was supose to be playing some Socom4 but the PSN is still down.

Hey eelhead, I have all the same hardware as you... Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R V2, Kingston HyperX 12GB Kit (3x4GB), i7-950. I just put it all together in the last 2 days, and it booted fine and all, but for some reason the BIOS says it detects all 3 sticks of RAM, though only 2 (in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3) are enabled. I'm trying to figure out whether the DDR3_5 slot is bad, or whether I need to do some serious BIOS tweaking to get them all detected. I played around with enabling XMP and then it somehow only detected 4GB in DDR3_2, but that doesn't make any sense at all. I switched all the RAM around in the 1,3,5 slots, and still get the same results. I also reseated the CPU and checked for any bent pins, but it all seems fine. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work triple channel? If so, can you let me know how I need to set up the BIOS?

Thanks!

Well, scratch my previous post; looks like the whole third channel is dead, per se. Either of the last two slots recognizes one of the sticks of RAM, but doesn't show it as "enabled" in the BIOS. In any of the other 4 slots, 12GB is recognized/enabled just fine. I guess I'll RMA it and go from there... eep!

Thanks!

zekejm, could you not move it to 2,4,6 slots? although my ddr3 dual channel motherboard specifices for dual channel use slots 1 and 3 so does yours specify use slot 1,3,5 for ddr3 tri channel? if not, surely 2,4,6 would work all 12GB ram recognised and supposted? may be totally wrong but and rather intrigued as to what this is about, please get back to me.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for your suggestions. The GA-X58A-UD3R does specify slots 1,3,5 as which to use for triple channel. I did in fact try 2,4,6 and got like a ton of very fast beeps (unlike the standard slow POST failure beeps) and it didn't POST at all. What ended up recognizing all 12 GB was doing 1,2,3 or 1,3,4 (but then of course, just dual channel for 1 and 3). Any use of 5 or 6 just showed it as recognized in the BIOS, but not "enabled" (anyone who as this motherboard will know what I mean, I think... I don't recall ever seeing this sort of differentiation with any other board). Per that test I concluded that the third channel (5 and 6) must be totally dead, so I just RMA'ed with Amazon and will get another on Tuesday (and send back this one). Plus, all the other people (like eelhead) who have the same board and RAM have not mentioned any major BIOS tweaking required to get it working (rather the opposite, that it works just fine out of the box), so I think that is problem. And if you look at Newegg's reviews, it seems like plenty of people have had some problems out of the box and had to RMA it... so I'm hoping my next one will be okay because rebuilding from scratch is always a little annoying... but of course not too bad since I just did it a couple days ago. So... I'm hopeful it will be no problem, and then onto whatever challenges may arise installing Snow Leopard on it.

Thanks!

HI Zek,

Sorry to see you have memory issues with your mobo. Hopefully you get your replacement fast. I sent mine back to Gigabyte for start up issues, memory was fine in mine with it all running good. I can say that the board and my hardware was actually very easy to set up with Snow Leopard. No real Bios tweaking at all, you can save all the good stuff after you get SL up and running nice. Good stuff like over clocking and what not with advanced Bios settings. Good luck with the new board and I hope it all works out for you. We're all here too if you run into any problems, by the way what guide are you going to be using?

Hey eelhead,

Thanks for your comments... I think that confirms what I was thinking; the memory problems I was having were not of my own doing (re: BIOS). I don't really plan for much OCing at this point, except just to get the RAM to run at 1600 (vs. default 1066 of the board), but I think XMP will take care of that pretty easily. As for which guide to use, I haven't done all the research on that yet and was just planning on poking around and seeing what I could find. Of course, since you have the same hardware, I will defer to you and see what you have to say! I have experience with Chameleon (on my Thinkpad X60 tablet) and I have a Snow Leopard retail CD already. Nevertheless, let me know what you recommendations are and I'll probably follow those. I can post some pictures and everything on Tuesday (or so) once I get it going... last week of school this week, so maybe will be later in the week or on the weekend... hard to say!

Thanks a lot! I'm hoping I can provide some helpful insight to you all as well at some point...

Zeke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back