Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: eelhead's G5 mod a work in progress

I like your double hard drive caddy setup with the dual fan. If I add drives to mine I might do that :)

Looks good, sucks about the broken piece. Did you come up with a solution yet?

I am still going to use the fan bracket in the back there so some cleaning up and a little bit of JB weld in just the right places should be sweet. At least in my mind it should be lol
I will post more this weekend, I ordered all of my other parts so I will be busy finishing up this project so I can have a nice new computer lol

I have ideas for my next project :D

Hey ellhead. Have you got all your components yet? I've made the cable and need a tester. So if you've got all your components would you be willing to do a bench top test? Hope you're having more luck with the shafts of your rotary tool. Two have died on you, thats just unlucky.

Gus said:
Hey ellhead. Have you got all your components yet? I've made the cable and need a tester. So if you've got all your components would you be willing to do a bench top test? Hope you're having more luck with the shafts of your rotary tool. Two have died on you, thats just unlucky.
I posted on your other thread :)

Yeah I broke down and got a little jigsaw and that is working awesome!

SO the work continues!!! :headbang:

I fixed the broken piece at the back of the case with some JB weld. I have some paint that matches that I will use to clean up and make it look nice after I sand it down and drill the holes out
IMG_4522.jpg

The work station with my 24" Apple display, I can't wait to get this going!
IMG_4557.jpg

The inside with motherboard glued in. I did remove it all and get new risers to get the motherboard lower to fit the rear fan housing.
IMG_4561.jpg

Ok so I wired up a Tact switch to the DVD player so I can open in Windows as well.
IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

Ok Front IO panel rats nest!!!
Don't know if I did it right or not but there it is in it's glory. The one thing I don't know if I should do is twist the wires that are supposed to be twisted and of course I don't know what ones those are :lol:
IMG_4689.jpg

Here is my dual HDD trays! I hot glued two G5 trays together and then I put a 120mm fan to get some air flow through them to keep things cool.
IMG_4691.jpg

Here is the rear fan housing, I notched it to fit over the Gigabytes audio jacks at the rear IO port. It will have two 92mm fans. I bought two at Fry's but the one was 92mm and the other in a 92 package was an 80mm lol
IMG_4693.jpg

Here,s that notch
IMG_4694.jpg

Here is me resetting the risers yet again lol. I don't want to here nothing about the mobo. It's a bad board I got my hands on to not have to worry one bit :p
IMG_4695.jpg

Rear IO ports, It's looking better since I got lower risers. A little trimming around the opening and it should be good to go. NOw I have some aluminum I will fit for the opening to make it like perty!
IMG_4698.jpg

So I have a back up PSU that I will use for now inside the G5 case. Here is the one I broke the power supply socket board. I will rebuild those pieces but in the mean time I am going to fit it in the G5's original PSU case.
IMG_4702.jpg

ANd with cover
IMG_4704.jpg

Looking good. Your almost there now. I need to find another HDD caddy, I have the room for it too. I think I might replace my two 80mm HDD fans with one 120mm like you did.

Thanks!
I snagged the second HDD tray for like 14 bucks off ebay!
I figure with the HDD's being at the front I wanted to have some air movement to help with some circulation action.
I figure that 120, the CPU cooler and the two 92's in the back I should be ok for a bit. When I get done with the custom PSU I will have another set of 40's for that and possibly another 120 in the the front. I'll have to keep taps of the temps and see.

I am hoping tomorrow will be D day :D
I have everything, wires all set, SL retail disk on my desk, BIOS update on a thumb drive, iBoot and Multibeast and SL update 10.6.7

I will see about audio and sleep after I get things going. I hope the GPU works, if not there's Andy's fix if thats the route I need to go. We shale see :)

OK I got it installed, it took forever lol.
I installed from retail disk 10.6.0 and I had to boot GraphicsEnabler=No to get into it to update to 10.6.7. While I was updating to that the finder kept quitting and closing the update and Multibeast on me. I finally got the update done and then I would cllick the install on Multibeast and it would crash on me. I got tired of this and just hit the restart on the Apple update and after the update it logged into SL with out any issues. I don't understand lol
Now my only thing to fix the cosmetics like GPU info and memory info. Also need to fix the unable to wake from sleep and when I do put it to sleep the computer still act like its running.
I don't know what I did to get it working but its working now lol. I will do an update and user build working after I fiddle with tall of the above. Oh and it does crash on DVD and Geekbench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back