Contribute
Register

Did you save money by Hackintosh?

Do you think your hack saved you money (if time = money)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm a computer hobbyist, before building 3 hackintosh's I used Linux and spent a lot of my time learning and tweaking that OS to get it to do what I wanted it to, with OSX everything just worked, ok compared to Linux it was shockingly dumbed down and not very tweakable but I soon discovered many 3rd party apps that allowed me to tweak to my hearts content, so yes I've spent a lot of time learning OSX and working out some minor Hackintosh issues but.... it was fun and I enjoyed it and I love the look on my MAC friends faces when they see OSX running on my HP4530s laptop I paid $360 for.

If I were running windows or linux I probably would have just kept my old AMD system but I wanted OSX and had to upgrade to an Intel system. Total I've built a Customac Mini (Gigabyte H77N-wifi) for myself, built a Gigabyte Z68MA tower for my sister, and Hackintoshed a HP4530s laptop (also for me). True if I stuck with windows or linux I could have bought less expensive pc's or hardware but I wanted a MAC and I would have spent much more on comparable official MAC systems.

Of course I saved money, as does anyone that follows directions correctly, buys proper hardware, and has an accurate gauge of real Macs, not a myth-based one.

First off, people have this mythical expectation of the MacPro, which frankly, is the only Mac that really stacks up to a fully loaded top of the line Hackintosh. I have the current quad core $2500 level MacPro at work; it's not any faster than the best current Hackintosh, and it's not getting my work done any faster than my 2600K Sandybridge Hack- in fact, my hack overclocked with better stats is faster at Final Cut rendering, Photoshop etc.

If I wanted a real Mac that's actually faster, I'd be looking at the $4000 12-core Mac Pro.

I'll say it: If you can't build a machine for less than $2500 and (certainly $4000) from current parts, following a guide, and have it stable and not eating up all your time tinkering to the point that it's going to cost you the difference in time and effort as the MacPro price... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

It's as simple as that. No beating around the bush.

It doesn't really take a computing expert to build a system that will run reliably and not cost you all your time fiddling rather than using the system. Sorry, but if that's happening for people, you went wrong somewhere along the line, in your parts buying research, or in your ability to follow a guide and set things up correctly, blew a lot of time on some minor detail trying to make your Hack into a complete Mac clone (IE: spending weeks getting it to chime at startup or some such trivial detail) or in improper use not knowing the differences between a real Mac and a Hackintosh and running updates blindly as if it were a real Mac. That's all fine, but it bugs me when people present this experience as a virtual certainty for everyone. It isn't.

I've not only saved myself a ton of cash, I've saved a bunch of friends/co-workers/family a ton of cash as well building Hackintoshes for them.

Myself, I've been using a Hackintosh since 2008 as my main system. I've had many small upgrades, and 3 complete system overhauls since then- the same cost in MacPro upgrades/replacements would have been astronomical in comparison (as in FIVE, SIX times as much, possibly more) and I'd still be behind the curve. As of now, a simple motherboard/CPU upgrade would bring me right up the latest level if I chose. Anyone who thinks upgrading a Mac is as easy simply hasn't tried to do so with one. Just a simple video card upgrade in a MacPro will make you cringe at the ripoff prices.

If you're not doing video editing, publishing, photo retouching, 3D or other higher-end work with a computer, then there is a good argument that you'd be just as well served with a Mac Mini or iMac and so maybe you could have saved money buying one of those instead of a tower-style desktop computer. But for those of us that would never be served by a lesser Mac than the Pro (and know the 'rules' of Hackintoshing and follow them) we've saved a boatload.

SInce 2008, I've had zero downtime using my Hacks for work. First, because I've researched parts carefully and bought known working hardware. (And sure, that takes a little time, but I've wasted just as much time figuring out where to not get ripped off buying upgrades for a MacPro. For example, try finding a decent video card upgrade at a non-ripoff price and see how much time that'll take you, OR, you can waste a lot of time leaning how to flash the right PC video cards for the Pro.) Secondly, because it's childsplay to build in redundancy and make sure that no matter what happens with a system update gone wrong or other calamity, that it doesn't affect your system uptime.

Yep, considering that I sold my 2008 Mac Pro for $1350 about a month ago, and the parts to build my new hackintosh cost $1140, I pretty much walked into a new machine for nothing

Cryptic1911, you sir are a genius.

I build my Hack back (the beginning of 2011) when I thought my Macbook from 2007 was going to die. (I went through about 4 aftermarket hard drives on that sucker [RMA'd them all]) I wanted a mac because I had grown accustom to may of the applications that I had on it (none of the apple specific ones actually). Also I really liked all of the intuitive keyboard shortcuts that Apple had built in. The thought of switching back to windows to manage all my data made me cringe.

So I looked into buying the cheapest mac I could but the value wasn't there. Those things are expensive little buggers with not a lot of computing power per price. Also I wanted a computer that could play video games on something other than ultra low. So I invested into a hackintosh. It was probably the best decision I made. Not only did i get a functional computer, it was the fastest computer that I had ever owned. I have a first gen quad core i5 processor with a radeon 5770. Not top of the line mind you but way better than my Macbook from 2007 with the dreaded GMA 945 (The worst integrated graphics intel has ever created.)

It don't remember the final cost with monitor and keyboard and everything but it was well under 1000 dollars. Perfect for me at least. I have since then been able to upgrade my tower to better and better hardware and keep up with the times. Sure I have had problems and I a little heart ache over some issues but I fix them and i learned a lot. I don't think I will ever buy another mac. It isn't cost effective in the slightest.

More recently I build a mac mini hack that only cost me 500 dollars. I wanted a HTPC that my roommates could use. I won't say i regret buying it but it wasn't as cost effective. I only really saved 100 but I got a machine that I could upgrade and change to be whatever I wanted. Also is has a full blown processor in it and not a smaller lesser mobile processor in it. It is fantastic. So Hackintosh save money? Sure it did. You get more computing power than a mac at way less the cost. (If you know what your doing.)

Lets see, If I would have went to Bestbuy and bought the 27 inch Imac I have been eyeing for years, I would have spent
$1,799.00
I would have gotten,

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB
First off, let me say this, LOL

I re purposed an SSD, a HDD, Power Supply which I already owned, bought;

i53570K Quad Core, 3.4GHZ 3.8 Turbo
8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ ( which I am sure is faster than what ever apple uses,
300GBs of 10k RPM HDD, 120GB of SSD
GEforce 640 with 2GB of Ram ( 4 times that of the iMac )

I spent around 600 bucks with my case, and using my old HDDs and power supply, would suspect if I looked harder for deals, and bought all new, I could have had my TOWER for 700.

So yes I saved money on my computer factoring in I had a set of 140 dollar Klipsch Speakers, and a 24 inch Dell Monitor.

Factor In a good monitor, and some decent speakers and you are up to 1100 dollars.

Add in a wireless keyboard, trackpad, parts to make an apple bluetooth module that works correctly, the parts the add an Airport that works correctly as the iMac does, 1270.00

Then the atleast 2 hours ( If you hit NO bumps ) it takes to build the computer, install, and burn in the computer testing and fixing any errors, small apps needed to eject drives before sleep ext, you could have 1300 into it at the end of the day.

Still cheaper, and MUCH more powerful. Plus its been a BLAST, and helped me use my free time for a couple weeks. I wouldn't go any other way. The only Apple Branded Mac I would ever consider purchasing is a Retina MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air.

Yes, its pretty obvious that a comparable mac system would cost much more. Im around $1900....so far :D

But that includes these extras:
Apple wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad, wired apple keyboard, harmon kardon pc 2.1 speakers, usb 3.0 memory card reader, acer 21in monitor, samsung 32" tv, 2 usb 3.0 sticks, ML OS, logitech 720p webcam, 2 bluetooth adapters, 2 re-purposed hdds

Along with all the internals for the desktop as well:
ga-z77-ud5h, i5-3570k, cooler master 212 plus, evga gt 640, samsung 256g 840 pro, crucial m4 64g (linux), corsair 650 w 80 plus bronze, haf 912, dvd burner, 8g 1600MHz g.skill ram

base 27" iMac is $1799, no overclock, no two monitors, no ssds, not including any accessories or peripherals listed above, no room for expansion
base Mac Pro is $2499, no monitor, no ssd, 6g ram, no accessories or peripherals, no overclock

Considering what all is included i saved alot of money! Especially since about 35% of the parts (including samsung 840 pro and ga-z77x-ud5h, etc) were gifts. :headbang: It will probably end up costing about $2300 when im done with everything. Out of pocket is about $1300 right now.

:thumbup:100% Yes. My total build cost:

Corsair Carbide 200r = £50
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H = £65
i3 3225 = £118
Kingston 8gb 1600Mhz = £45
Corsair 500W PSU = 45
Asus GT 640 = £65

Apple Magic Mouse = £59
Apple Wireless Keyboard = £59
OS X Mountain Lion = £13

TOTAL = £519 (that's about $802)

Even though I went for the lower end CPU (i3 3225) the performance on a Mac just feels smooth and snappy. That processor on a windows pc would be feeling sluggish by now.

Never, ever, ever going back to Microsoft!

Hell yes!! :headbang:

If i opted for mac pro, couple of weeks ago, i would need to spend approx. $4000 AUD

But i just need to spend $1300 AUD for a hackintosh using similar specs with that $4000 AUD mac pro. nearly 1/4 of the price!

Oh, need to be noted that computer parts in Australia are much more expensive than in US.
I was surprised that an intel i7 3770k is only $229 in microcenter! I bought my 3570k for $239 AUD. Lol.

Anyways, yes, i saved lots of money because of my hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back