Contribute
Register

Did you save money by Hackintosh?

Do you think your hack saved you money (if time = money)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68-UD3H-B3
CPU
Core i7 2600k
Graphics
EVGA GTX670
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, do you think you saved any money by hackintosh?

After I added up all my expenditures and all the time I've spent working, even though TonyMac makes hacking easier than it has ever been BY FAR, I don't think that anyone who is not a computer hobbyist would think that hackintosh is cost effective. I've said the exact opposite on many occasion, but I really took a hard look at the Macbook Pro and I think that is overall a much better experience for less money (if money = time).

Personally, I love my hack and enjoy coming here and working on it. I actually am sometimes disappointed at just how easy it is now. But, that is a big difference between a real mac and a hack. With a real mac I am never thinking about the computer, never thinking about the OS... I'm just using it to do something and I never wonder about a kext or a driver issue, whatever.

With my hack I find I'm often looking for something to improve or testing something to see if it is working as a "real mac".

I think that this latest build is about at the point where I can call it completely stable and I can stop looking at it as a project and look at it as the interface for Logic and iLife, but after all the time I've put into it and all the money I've spent... I don't think I can tell people it is a good deal anymore. A 13in Macbook Pro is sometimes seen for $999 on sale at Microcenter (when they are about to bring out a new model and want to get rid of old stock).

Do I love my hack pro, yes.
Was it a good value... hmm?

For what I wanted to do, which was basically have a Mac Pro without dropping 2500 bucks for 2 year old gear? Hell yes.

Though since I have gotten in to this, I have gained a fair amount of respect for apple's engineers. Their computers really are gorgeous pieces of machinery. And like the poster above, with my iMac, I never thought about how it worked. With my hackintosh I think about it constantly, if only in a "what else can I do to make this machine better" sense.

Hackintosh's arent for the general public at all. I considered building one for my wife for her photography business, but she loves her macbook pro. And I don't want her to have to deal with the sort of things I deal with (and enjoy). She doesn't want that. She just wants a computer that works and looks good while doing it.

So actually, everything coelo said, I totally agree with. :)

To be honest, I never wanted to/thought of buying a Mac. So No, Hackintosh did not save me any money. It's simply a hobby (still in highschool).

Yes I have "saved money"... But only because I bought poorer quality hardware than what apple uses. So technically I've saved nothing. All I have is a computer running OS X... But I'm cool with that.

BTW, just because your machine is identified as a "Mac Pro" doesn't mean it comes anywhere close performance wise! lol
The only reason desktops are identified as a "Mac Pro" is for hardware support ;)

Yes I have "saved money"... But only because I bought poorer quality hardware than what apple uses. So technically I've saved nothing. All I have is a computer running OS X... But I'm cool with that.

BTW, just because your machine is identified as a "Mac Pro" doesn't mean it comes anywhere close performance wise! lol
The only reason desktops are identified as a "Mac Pro" is for hardware support ;)

You are incorrect. YOU Have a machine that's not like a MacPro. If you buy good hardware, you CAN have a system with better performance than a MacPro, all coming in at about Half Cost. The "standard" MacPro sucks in terms of specs for the price, and it's true that the only way you can get to the upper levels of MacPros performance wise is to use a server board/Overclock.

?

I'm just pointing out to all the people that don't know that the only reason our machines are identified as a "Mac Pro" is for greater hardware support. And that is true.

There are plenty of people around with hardware similar to mine thinking they have something akin to a Mac Pro. A Mac Pro is not only MUCH more powerful, but the hardware is FAR better. For example there's no capacitor squeal and such after a few months of use, or after a few years for that matter!

The quality of parts makes all the difference. Yes. Just buy better parts, and avoid issues.

I really don't know what to compare it to, but that aside. I never would have had a mac any other way. Mainly because mac stuff looks bad in my house. Until I can buy a "Black MAC" I'm hacking. BTW my black anodized aluminum LianLi case is awesome looking. As always, fashion before function.

I really don't know what to compare it to, but that aside. I never would have had a mac any other way. Mainly because mac stuff looks bad in my house. Until I can buy a "Black MAC" I'm hacking. BTW my black anodized aluminum LianLi case is awesome looking. As always, fashion before function.

yeah, I myself am getting a little bored of the silver color scheme. A little variation is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back