Contribute
Register

Dell Precision M4800 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
An unrelated question. My DSDT does different things depending on the OS. One of your laptop patches seems to patch the DSDT to believe that OS X should be treated like Windows Vista. Any reason for that?

Well, I have (kind of) solved my AppleGraphicsPowerManagement problems by editing various things, but unfortunately, the graphics are not controlled -- it's stuck at either the plugged in or the unplugged rates. This may be the possible solution to my problem. If the OS can't change the state of the graphics card, it can't change it from whatever it is when it's sleeping on batteries (probably nothing) thereby making it impossible to awaken. We'll see. I'll keep digging into this and see if I can't get the states changed someway or another.

I just tried Mountain Lion for the sake of seeing if it was any better. I noticed that sleep happens much, much faster... maybe 5-10x faster than in Mavericks. However, wake up with no power, at least with an un-edited DSDT, is still a no-go. I'll start editing the DSDT and messing with NVIDIA drivers and see if I can't make it work.

Ok, spent the last few hours getting everything working on Mountain Lion. Power management even works on Nvidia. However, still, a dark screen on battery :(. I'm running out of things to try.

Do you know if any of the darksleep settings keeps PCI devices more or less active than others?

As a side note, I understand you don't have the hardware. You do seem to be the most knowledgeable person I have found about notebooks/OS X in general, but is there some other place I should post where it might reach someone knowledgeable about discrete graphics in notebooks?

Just be patient and see if someone else responds to your thread.

I guess something other than non-muxed optimus is just so rare these days that nobody really seems to know about it.

Rare and most would be satisfied to get it working in just one configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

An unrelated question. My DSDT does different things depending on the OS. One of your laptop patches seems to patch the DSDT to believe that OS X should be treated like Windows Vista. Any reason for that?

Better to simulate a certain version of Windows than none at all. Picking "Windows 2006" is arbitrary. A comprehensive review of all code in the DSDT dependent on the host OS would be more appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

I just tried Mountain Lion for the sake of seeing if it was any better. I noticed that sleep happens much, much faster... maybe 5-10x faster than in Mavericks.

There is no delay in ML. When you request sleep, it begins right away. In ML there is a ~18 second delay.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, spent the last few hours getting everything working on Mountain Lion. Power management even works on Nvidia. However, still, a dark screen on battery :(. I'm running out of things to try.

Do you know if any of the darksleep settings keeps PCI devices more or less active than others?

You probably mean 'darkwake'. I've never had to mess with it...

Just be patient and see if someone else responds to your thread.

Rare and most would be satisfied to get it working in just one configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

Better to simulate a certain version of Windows than none at all. Picking "Windows 2006" is arbitrary. A comprehensive review of all code in the DSDT dependent on the host OS would be more appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no delay in ML. When you request sleep, it begins right away. In ML there is a ~18 second delay.

- - - Updated - - -

You probably mean 'darkwake'. I've never had to mess with it...

Thanks for the detailed response. I did mean darkwake, indeed.
As for OS specific functions, there are quite a few, actually, mostly for Windows 8+, which I imagine don't have anything to do with OS X. However, there is actually a Linux option in the DSDT, which I am assuming would be more appropriate. As much as I'd love to review the functions comprehensively, the code is just kind of too cryptic for me to know what each thing does. One thing that is definitely graphic card-related does exist, but I tried setting the OS to the various different options and noticed no difference in behavior. I will look into that further though.

I came up with the idea that perhaps there are bytes that are written to an address in the video card that can be written by the DSDT to indicate power states. I'm going to test that theory by using your kext and ioio, and try monitoring the states. Let's see if I can't find something.

Rehabman,

Do you know whether the graphics card is supposed to be off during sleep? I have found a way to turn it off and on, but doing so crashes the system. If I wanted to make it the very last thing done when entering a sleep state, is there somewhere to put it other than at the end of _PTS?

EDIT:
Well, that sucks. I have it turning on and off on sleep and wake, without crashing.
STILL, black screen on wake up on battery. *pulls hair out*

Rehabman,

Do you know whether the graphics card is supposed to be off during sleep? I have found a way to turn it off and on, but doing so crashes the system. If I wanted to make it the very last thing done when entering a sleep state, is there somewhere to put it other than at the end of _PTS?

The driver is responsible for doing whatever necessary to enter sleep mode. The delineation between driver actions and DSDT is not clear to me.

Hi guys, Just found this thread...

I'm looking like crazy for a response for the same problem. Is there a new tutorial or guide to make a 100% working hackintosh out of this machine? It is an impressive piece of hardware for video editing, but Windows is not the best system for video editors.

Sorry it is a bit offtopic... I have a hp zbook 15 also with a nvidia quadro k2100m but no integrated graphics. Did i get it right, your k2100m works? Which driver do you use? How do you inject it? I only get it working without acceleration in standart resolution with clover...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back