Contribute
Register

DC3217BY Mavericks Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally fixed the freeze issue on my NUC. :headbang:
The problem was RAM voltage, I bought low-voltage RAM for Haswell processor which were pretty instable on a ivy-bridge processor. I changed the voltage from 1.35 to 1.5 and no more freeze.

Anyway thank you davids74 for trying to help me. :)

Did you buy new RAM or can the voltage be changed in the BIOS?

it took me another month to realize I need 8gb of ram instead of 4gb to get video working properly.

What do you mean by this? In what way does video not work with 4GB RAM?
Also you mention internal USB pins? What can these be used for?

Thanks

Just thought I'd add in my experience for anyone who encounters the same problem I did. I followed the steps in post #1 exactly. I am running a DC3217BY with no BT/WiFi installed. I am instead using a generic USB -> ethernet adapter for network.

When I tried booting for the first time after installation, I got kernel panics related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. The end of the guide says that you need to reinstall from scratch if you have this problem. Not true. I simply booted from my USB install disk again and opened terminal, navigated to /Volumes/[Mavericks_Volume]/System/Library/Extensions and renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.old. It booted up fine after that.

Other notes: It seems like h.264 video playback is properly hardware accelerated, as I'm able to use VDA in both MythTV and XBMC without problems. In fact, the playback of high bitrate 1080p video is smoother than I was able to achieve in Linux or Windows on the same machine. yay!

I would also like to report that after following the instructions as written, it was only outputting 2 channels of sound through my HDMI port. I had to use the information here to get 5.1 surround sound to work properly through HDMI:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3639822. Other than that, excellent guide from Davids74!

When I tried booting for the first time after installation, I got kernel panics related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. The end of the guide says that you need to reinstall from scratch if you have this problem. Not true. I simply booted from my USB install disk again and opened terminal, navigated to /Volumes/[Mavericks_Volume]/System/Library/Extensions and renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.old. It booted up fine after that.

Just updated to 10.9.2 using the App Store and got this error. Solved it using your advice monkeytrash. Thank you so much, Buddy.:clap:

What do you mean by this? In what way does video not work with 4GB RAM?
Also you mention internal USB pins? What can these be used for?
Thanks

Hi, I'm not sure how it works with Mavericks with 4gb (I have tried 4gb only with ML) and I also have seen reports of people having full graphics acceleration with 4gb. It was just case with me. I tried various things with video. I thought how come I'm the only one with the problem but when I got hold of another 4gb sodimm I tired it and suddenly everything was working.

Internal USB ports just add extra functionality. The box is advertised with 5 USB ports. Mine has only 3!

Just updated to 10.9.2 using the App Store and got this error. Solved it using your advice monkeytrash. Thank you so much, Buddy.:clap:

Are you sure it was not 10.9.1?

I simply booted from my USB install disk again and opened terminal, navigated to /Volumes/[Mavericks_Volume]/System/Library/Extensions and renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.old. It booted up fine after that.
Hi, could you give list of commands you entered in Terminal including mounting the internal hard drive and actual copy and rename commands, please! I could add these lines to my guide. It would be ideal if the command list could be attached to guide as script and run from terminal with one command.

Hey,
I've managed to install Mavericks on my nuc, only problem is I can only boot using the installer usb. Any ideas on how to fix this ? Thnaks again for the awesome guide.

Hey,
I've managed to install Mavericks on my nuc, only problem is I can only boot using the installer usb. Any ideas on how to fix this ? Thnaks again for the awesome guide.

Need more info as we've got nothing to go on to help you. When you say it won't boot, what exactly happens. Are there any error messages or at what point does it freeze? What version of Mavericks are you trying to install? Also, add your hardware info to your profile so that we can see what components you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back