Contribute
Register

CustoMac Mini Install Guide - GA-H55N-USB3 + GT 240

Status
Not open for further replies.
imclumzy said:
Hi Tony, thank you very much for the CustoMac Mini guide. I'd like to build one according to your specs but I can't source the Zotac ZT-20404-20L video card. Are there any alternatives that you could recommend ... presumably of the GT240 variety? I'm from Canada so I can't buy the one from Amazon.com :(

Would the Palit NE5T2400FHD51 GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card be acceptable?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261060&cm_re=palit_gt240-_-14-261-060-_-Product

For those considering building a CustoMac Mini and can't find the Zotac ZT-20404-20L, I ended up purchasing a GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5770 (Batmobile) GV-R577UD-1GD which is approximately $130CND from NCIX.com.

The installation procedure is the same as what is detailed here, except in MultiBeast you have to add at least this:
--> Drivers & Bootloaders -> Bootloaders -> Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental

I used the instructions for the CustoMac Pro Install Guide --> viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465 and merged the MultiBeast options. Some probably aren't required but everything seems to work.

Snow Leopard 10.6.6 works great but I haven't tried HDMI audio yet.

For reference here's my Build Spec:
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156
GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5770 (Batmobile) GV-R577UD-1GD
Silverstone Sugo SG05BB-450
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB ST31500341AS
Sony Optiarc Slim 8X DVD Writer AD-7700S-01
Gskill Ripclaw 4GBx2 (don't remember serial numbers)
Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8 MB LGA1156 BX80605I5760

I got two questions to this... first of, the machine sometimes does not go to proper sleep, but getting stuck somewhere in between, where it cant come back either... :( anyone got this?

second is that I'd like to restore the DVD onto a pendrive for a faster install, but it seems not to work... any ideas? the DVD is so slow to install and I"m a bit afraid to hurt the disc...

I am considering this build, but I cant find exactly the card listed, would any one if any of these will work?

ZOTAC AMP! ZT-20405-10L GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

or

ZOTAC ZT-20403-10L GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

or

ZOTAC ZT-20403-10L GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

In general does any GT240 card work?

I never build a hackintosh before so I am a little shy about this. I appreciate your feedback.

vancityex said:
did any one get 5.1 sound working on hdmi.....

toleda has been working on ALC 892 5.1 and 7.1- it works! We'll be announcing a beta really soon. Watch the blog.

I'll make my latest edit here at the top to save all the reading.. due to my graphics issues with this board I rebuilt the machine with the same components on the tried and trusted P55M-UD2 mobo, and after awhile I experienced the same blue screen on boot issue detailed below.

As I was monkeying around with the USB keyboard while it was rebooting for the umpteenth time, I decided to disconnect all my peripherals -amazingly the blue screen issue disappeared! I have no idea which device/port was causing the issue, and I have a feeling it might be hard to reproduce. I have:

logitech wireless mouse usb dongle (they're kind of like bluetooth without the driver)
asus bluetooth usb dongle
mira usb IR receiver
esata external dock
western digital usb 2.0 external drive for backup (not the issue, was not connected)
firewave outboard firewire audio device (not the issue, was not connected)

My instinct is to replace the asus bluetooth first with another brand (never had much luck with asus peripherals I don't know why)

Would rolling back the USB drivers be a good idea? Are there known issues with these newer 10.6.6 ones? Could this have contributed to the instability?

anyways hope this helps, don't want to be down on this USB3 board as it seems like my peripherals are/might be the big factor. :?

-----------------------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Hey guys,

I have had a tough time getting graphics to work on this board with either a fanless 9400GT or a fanless 9500GT, which (while they both work under 10.6.3) seem to have problems at boot and result in a blue screen.

The odd thing is that the install (retail disc/10.6.6 update) goes perfectly, and the first or second reboot everything works great, and then it just decides that it will get stuck at a blue screen. The system is actually booted, I can see it on my network, and I also (usually) have a cursor on the blue screen.

I can however boot fine into the desktop with iBoot disc or safe mode.

Here's what I've tried (one at a time) to fix this:

• NVenabler (never had much luck with these anyways)

added EFI string to boot.plist

added boot ROM to extras folder along with boot.plist edit to point to ROM.

manually added resolution to boot.plist

And always I use multibeast to repair etc etc before I reboot.

So,

I have almost given up on these cards. I am thinking I can either:

get a new graphics card...

I am thinking this fanless Zotac card looks OK, though it isn't a 240, it's a 220..

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500159

or this card (has fan) which is I think one of the recommended cards..

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=48708 ... cture=eVGA

or (since I really wasn't looking to spend money) I could revert back to 10.6.4 (or earlier)

Anyone have similar issues? I don't know whether this is a 10.6.6 issue or something with this board/card/OS version.

I followed the guide in this thread to a T except that I enabled most of the "advanced" CPU options so that I could get speedstep and whatnot - don't know if that would effect anything.

Also I'm using the DSDT from the database, F5 firmware, and running in 32 bit mode (64 bit doesn't allow the realtek audio to work)

Any suggestions on anything I've mentioned are appreciated.

:think:

PS my sig has my other hackintosh listed, (just to avoid confusion)

*EDIT* SOLVED

I picked up an Asus GeForce 210 on sale and did a clean reinstall, and the blue screen problem is no more. Don't know why the 9400/9500 cards gave me such a headache. I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV, am going to try HDMI>HDMI and see if that works also.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... /512MD2(LP)

Available in Canada.

*EDIT* NOT SOLVED

Switched the DVI>HDMI cable for an HDMI>HDMI cable and it triggered the bluescreen problem again..very annoying!

*EDIT* ROLLBACK TO 10.6.4

OK I gave up on 10.6.6, reinstalled and updated to 10.6.4 - blue screen issue doesn't seem present. I tried to trigger the problem by booting without the monitor attached, and then replugging, also switched to an HDMI>HDMI cable and again no problems. I will be sticking with 10.6.4 for this build, as I have no home entertainment system. If this was a test build I would tinker with DSDT edits and the like but for now I'm throwing in the towel.

Maybe an admin could move this post to the graphics or 10.6.6 thread? Might be more useful there.

:think:

I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 5750 and had to manually enter the device-id into the ATi5000Controller.kext for the system to boot to desktop but all is ok now.

Which system definition is correct for this H55N board with an i5 760 - iMac11.3 or MacPro 4.1 in smbios?

One of the definitions loads Apple Intel PowerManagement with 1144 turbo ratios and the other gives better graphics performance?

Hi: Can someone guide me as to where I can download iboot and Multibeast from? Couldn't get to the link from resources ->Downloads. Thanks in advance and apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm a noob.

I would need some help with the CustoMac mini.

Every now and then Disk Utility won't start (spinning ball then I need to force quit). This can only be relieved with booting from iBoot/Retail DVD, then doing a Fix Permissions for the disk.

Did anyone have this problem before?

user137 said:
I would need some help with the CustoMac mini.

Every now and then Disk Utility won't start (spinning ball then I need to force quit). This can only be relieved with booting from iBoot/Retail DVD, then doing a Fix Permissions for the disk.

Did anyone have this problem before?

I've had some issues with Disk Utility- but I think it's OS X, not Hackintosh. Rarely I need force quit when there are a ton of hard drives or usb devices present- but I only remember it happening on my UD2. I'm pretty sure it has to do with spindown/spinup power saving of hard drives. I'd guess it's an OS X bug. Maybe some solutions in the apple.com discussion boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back