Contribute
Register

Computer shuts down after Apple Grey screen, can't even boot with Unibeast USB either -- Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that we have very similar motherboards. On my Unibeast it has the flag PCIRootUID=0x2000. I suppose yours also has it as well. Have you tried disabling the onboard video?

Is it plausible that this is a graphics card issue? The computer is still running when I boot from the Unibeast USB, though my display says there's no DVI input.

Most likely

Yes, I was using both DVI ports on my GTX 285 for my monitors.

Yes, I was using both DVI ports on my GTX 285 for my monitors.

Was ?

I was under the impression you were installing.
If that is not the case you'd better explain what's happening / happened.

FWIW on an older Hackintosh setup I had a very similar issue and what I did was allow the system to boot until I got that blank screen and then hot plugged the monitor into the other DVI port and I miraculously had video!

EDIT

for clarification, I was using a GT 8600 video card with dual DVI outputs.

So, I was using my Hackintosh with my dual monitor setup for the past two years, and with the latest version of Mavericks on my SSD since 10.9.4 was released. Everything was working fine until this morning when suddenly my SSD wouldn't boot. So, I thought I'd boot from Unibeast to repair permissions or reinstall OS X on the SSD if need be. But after booting into the Unibeast, then there was nothing on the screen, and the monitor said there was no DVI input.

I would try clearing the CMOS settings by removing the power lead from the computer and then take out the chrome coin battery from its socket on the motherboard. Wait a few seconds then reinstall the battery.

Reconnect the power lead and power on the computer.

Press Del to enter the BIOS and set to Optimised Defaults.
Disable VT-d
Make sure SATA mode is set to AHCI
Disable onboard graphics.

Boot from your Unibeast flash drive and enter the boot flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No

What version is your Unibeast BTW ?

Good Luck

I would try clearing the CMOS settings by removing the power lead from the computer and then take out the chrome coin battery from its socket on the motherboard. Wait a few seconds then reinstall the battery.

Disable VT-d

Boot from your Unibeast flash drive and enter the boot flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No

Good Luck

Thanks, P1LGRIM, I'll give it a try. BTW is the newest version of Unibeast that I downloaded today, 4.0.2. Appreciate all the help!

If you truly did NOTHING last night and it wouldn't boot this morning there is also the possibility that your SSD has up and died. <gulp!>

If all else fails and you have a spare HD (mechanical or SSD) then unplug everything (USB, other drives) and try installing to the spare drive.

Disable VT-d

Good Luck

Okay, so I did all of this and still nothing shows up past the Grey Apple screen when I try to boot into the Unibeast USB drive. Does this mean my Graphics Card is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back