Contribute
Register

Clover post installation kexts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here are the steps:

Installation Media
In these steps we'll create the USB stick with the Clover bootloader and the OSX install. You'll need another Mac to perform the steps below:

Prepare the USB stick

1. Download Yosemite from the App Store

2. Grab an USB stick and use Disk Utility to format it.
=> Use MBR partition schema and create two partitions
=> Partition 1. 300MB - FAT32 - name: CLOVER (this will be your bootloader)
=> Partition 2. The rest - Mac OSX Extended - name: Installer (this will be your OSX setup)

Extract Yosemite to the USB stick

3. Extract and copy the Yosemite files to the second partition. I did it by running the commands below in a Terminal window (be sure to check them before you use them). I've tried different methods, but for some reason the OSX install wouldn't boot when I use those.

sudo hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt

rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

Grab the Tools

4. Download the latest copy of Clover:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

5. Download the latest copy of Clover configurator:

6. Download the latest copy of DPCIManager:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/

7. Create a folder in the root of your CLOVER partition named Tools
8. Copy Clover, Clover configurator and DPCIManager to the Tools folder

Install Clover on the USB stick

9. Run the Clover install with these options:
=> Select the CLOVER partition as destination (not the Installer!)
=> Install for UEFI Motherboards
=> You don't need themes, just copy in mine
=> Select the drivers: DataHubDXE, EmuVariable, OsxAptioFixDrv and PartitionDxe

10. Remove the EFI/CLOVER/OEM folder (we won't need it, and it might confuse Clover)

11. Copy the files from my zip to the CLOVER partition, the folder structure should match
12. Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext from the Installer partition to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 on the CLOVER partition (otherwise you won't have internet during OSX install).

You won't need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext because of the DSDT.aml I've provided.

Motherboard
To make your motherboard as compliant as possible, we'll load the optimized defaults with a few customizations. I have exported them to bios-config, which you can import into your BIOS.

1. Create a folder BIOS on the CLOVER partition
2. Copy bios-config to that folder
3. Reboot your PC, go into your BIOS and load the bios-config

Installation
1. Reboot your PC
2. Press F12 to boot from your stick (UEFI)
3. Select the OSX install
4. The setup will start, some progress bars might look a bit weird, don't worry about that. If your setup freezes in one of the steps, try booting it with the -v option and report back here :)
5. Go to the menu and select Disk Utility. In my case I have a separate SSD for my OSX installation (I dual boot with Windows 8.1). I've formatted the disk to 1 partition, GPT and Mac OSX Extended.
6. After the first part of the OSX install is completed your PC will restart. Hit F12 again to boot from your stick and now select OSX (not the install). The second part of the OSX install should start.
7. After the second part of the OSX install you should end up in Yosemite.

Post-installation
After the install your internet and USB3.0 devices should be working. Audio won't work just yet.

Format the EFI partition

1. Open a terminal window
2. Run diskutil list and look for the EFI partition of your OSX drive (probably disk0s1 or disk1s1)
3. Run sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1 (notice the r in front and replace 0s1 with the proper drive!)

Install Clover

4. You can copy the Tools folder from your CLOVER partition to your desktop and run the Clover setup again.
5. This time we won't change the target (it should automatically target your new OSX, and will handle the EFI partition automatically)
6. Select these options:
=> Install Clover in the ESP
=> We'll copy my Yosemite theme again
=> Select only the driver OsxAptioFixDrv
=> Install RC scripts on target volume
=> You can install the Clover preferences pane if you want to easily check for updates later on

Install extra files to EFI partition

7. Open Clover configurator
8. It will probably ask you to mount the EFI partition, if not go to that option on the left and use it to mount your EFI partition.
9. Under finder you'll notice the EFI partition, open it, it will look just like your EFI folder on your USB stick's CLOVER partition
10. Copy the following files to the EFI folder on the EFI partition from your CLOVER partition:
=> EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml
=> EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
=> EFI/CLOVER/themes (whole folder, replace)
=> Note you don't have to copy the KEXTs, we'll install those to your system. That will decrease your boot time a bit.

Install the KEXTs

8. Start DPCIManager
9. Use the Install Kext option in the menubar to install the following KEXTs (located in your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder):
=> FakeSMC (most important one, or your won't be able to boot)
=> AtherosE2200Ethernet (for network)
=> AppleHDAIDT (for audio)
10. Start Disk Utility and do a Repair Disk Permissions

Hide Thunderbolt update

Your AppStore will report a thunderbolt update. Normally you can hide them by right clicking it, but that doesn't seem to work with this update. To solve that run the following command:
softwareupdate --ignore ThunderboltFirmwareUpdate1.2

All done!
After a restart you should be able to boot to OSX without the USB stick and enjoy Yosemite!

Useful links
TonyMacx86 Yosemite Installation Guide
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

Tips to get iMessage working
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/#entry2020598
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Details behind AppleHDA patch
On the fly patching: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/118877-patch-applehda-kext-fly-clover-bootloader.html
Patch HDA script: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108109/

Clover WIKI / Config
http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration

Questions

No internet?
This guide was written for the Z77X-UD3H rev 1.1 guide. If you have the rev 1.0 you'll need a different Ethernet KEXT: AtherosL1cEthernet or ALXEthernet (I don't recommend this one, it has memory leaks and some issues with Yosemite).

Attachments

• Files.zip
    474.2 KB · Views: 312
Ok, here are the steps:

Installation Media
In these steps we'll create the USB stick with the Clover bootloader and the OSX install. You'll need another Mac to perform the steps below:

Prepare the USB stick

1. Download Yosemite from the App Store

2. Grab an USB stick and use Disk Utility to format it.
=> Use MBR partition schema and create two partitions
=> Partition 1. 300MB - FAT32 - name: CLOVER (this will be your bootloader)
=> Partition 2. The rest - Mac OSX Extended - name: Installer (this will be your OSX setup)

Extract Yosemite to the USB stick

3. Extract and copy the Yosemite files to the second partition. I did it by running the commands below in a Terminal window (be sure to check them before you use them). I've tried different methods, but for some reason the OSX install wouldn't boot when I use those.

sudo hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt

rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

Grab the Tools

4. Download the latest copy of Clover:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

5. Download the latest copy of Clover configurator:
http://mackie100.webwacemaster.altervista.org/

6. Download the latest copy of DPCIManager:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/

7. Create a folder in the root of your CLOVER partition named Tools
8. Copy Clover, Clover configurator and DPCIManager to the Tools folder

Install Clover on the USB stick

9. Run the Clover install with these options:
=> Select the CLOVER partition as destination (not the Installer!)
=> You don't need themes, just copy in mine
=> Select the drivers: DataHubDXE, EmuVariable, OsxAptioFixDrv and PartitionDxe

10. Remove the EFI/CLOVER/OEM folder (we won't need it, and it might confuse Clover)

11. Copy the files from my zip to the CLOVER partition, the folder structure should match
12. Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext from the Installer partition to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 on the CLOVER partition (otherwise you won't have internet during OSX install).

You won't need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext because of the DSDT.aml I've provided.

Motherboard
To make your motherboard as compliant as possible, we'll load the optimized defaults with a few customizations. I have exported them to bios-config, which you can import into your BIOS.

1. Create a folder BIOS on the CLOVER partition
2. Copy bios-config to that folder
3. Reboot your PC, go into your BIOS and load the bios-config

Installation
1. Reboot your PC
2. Press F12 to boot from your stick (UEFI)
3. Select the OSX install
4. The setup will start, some progress bars might look a bit weird, don't worry about that. If your setup freezes in one of the steps, try booting it with the -v option and report back here :)
5. Go to the menu and select Disk Utility. In my case I have a separate SSD for my OSX installation (I dual boot with Windows 8.1). I've formatted the disk to 1 partition, GPT and Mac OSX Extended.
6. After the first part of the OSX install is completed your PC will restart. Hit F12 again to boot from your stick and now select OSX (not the install). The second part of the OSX install should start.
7. After the second part of the OSX install you should end up in Yosemite.

Post-installation
After the install your internet and USB3.0 devices should be working. Audio won't work just yet.

Format the EFI partition

1. Open a terminal window
2. Run diskutil list and look for the EFI partition of your OSX drive (probably disk0s1 or disk1s1)
3. Run sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1 (notice the r in front and replace 0s1 with the proper drive!)

Install Clover

4. You can copy the Tools folder from your CLOVER partition to your desktop and run the Clover setup again.
5. This time we won't change the target (it should automatically target your new OSX, and will handle the EFI partition automatically)
6. Select these options:
=> Install Clover in the ESP
=> We'll copy my Yosemite theme again
=> Select only the driver OsxAptioFixDrv
=> Install RC scripts on target volume
=> You can install the Clover preferences pane if you want to easily check for updates later on

Install extra files to EFI partition

7. Open Clover configurator
8. It will probably ask you to mount the EFI partition, if not go to that option on the left and use it to mount your EFI partition.
9. Under finder you'll notice the EFI partition, open it, it will look just like your EFI folder on your USB stick's CLOVER partition
10. Copy the following files to the EFI folder on the EFI partition from your CLOVER partition:
=> EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml
=> EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
=> EFI/CLOVER/themes (whole folder, replace)
=> Note you don't have to copy the KEXTs, we'll install those to your system. That will decrease your boot time a bit.

Install the KEXTs

8. Start DPCIManager
9. Use the Install Kext option in the menubar to install the following KEXTs (located in your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder):
=> FakeSMC (most important one, or your won't be able to boot)
=> AtherosE2200Ethernet (for network)
=> AppleHDAIDT (for audio)
10. Start Disk Utility and do a Repair Disk Permissions

Hide Thunderbolt update

Your AppStore will report a thunderbolt update. Normally you can hide them by right clicking it, but that doesn't seem to work with this update. To solve that run the following command:
softwareupdate --ignore ThunderboltFirmwareUpdate1.2

All done!

After a restart you should be able to boot to OSX without the USB stick and enjoy Yosemite!

Questions

No internet?
This guide was written for the Z77X-UD3H rev 1.1 guide. If you have the rev 1.0 you'll need a different ethernet KEXT: AtherosL1cEthernet or ALXEthernet (I don't recommend this one, it has memory leaks and some issues with Yosemite).

Attachments

• Files.zip
    474.2 KB · Views: 139
Ok guys, I've managed to post the guide.

You are right, the Z77X-UD3H patch at PJALM contains some small errors in the audio part.
You can use my DSDT if you want. Later I'll try to post the PJALM patch here without errors.

Here is the raw DSDT patch for GA-Z77X-UD3H.

You can patch it using MaciASL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maciasl/

Steps:
- Make sure you start with an unpatched DSDT (disable any Clover patches, mask should be 0)
- Open MaciASL
- Under preferences, set the compiler to ACPI 5.0 (go back to 4.0 if you can't compile)
- Click the Patch button and then the Open button at the bottom
- Select the Patch text file I've attached to this post
- Click the Apply button
- Click the Compile button
- Click File - Save As.., ACPI Machine Language Library
- Save it as DSDT.aml and copy it to /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched

Done :)

Attachments

• Patch.txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 223
hey Zyphrax.

Thx for your posts. I already had a working Yosemite with all of my workflows configured, so I didnt want to reinstall the whole thing. However, using your config and DSDT and kexts I was able to get Ethernet and Audio(w/o Voodoo.hda) working. Thank you for that. I had my ethernet working before, but the Voodoo sound was bugging me for quite some time.

Unfortunately, my USB ports didnt start working w/o GenericUSBXHCI.kext, even with my own DSDT made using your patch. What could go wrong? Where should I start digging?

I could live with GenericUSBXHCI.kext but it slows Shutting Down process dramatically and it is really annoing.

Here are the screenshots of About this Mac with and w/o the kext.
Screenshot 2014-10-25 08.37.21.pngScreenshot 2014-10-25 08.40.34.png

Hi Phob0s,
Glad to hear you're a bit closer to a fully working system!

Audio
There is a small downside to using AppleHDA: if you don't use your sound card for about 20sec. Apple will enable power savings on it. Then when you play a song or system sound after those 20sec. you'll probably hear a short plop sound (that's the sound card activating again). The nasty solution to this is a system script that performs a say " " every 10sec. But it hasn't bothered me enough to find a better solution.

USB
If you are using the exact same Clover config, then the only difference I can think of is the BIOS settings. Have you tried loading my exact BIOS settings from the bios-config file?

At the moment I'm only using mouse, keyboard, iPhone and a couple of USB 2/3 sticks. Perhaps GenericUSBXHCI is still necessary to support a broader range of hardware?

One more thing on Audio. It cant see front panel now :( I cant use my headphones. Gotta find some workaround :)

And usb. Well maybe.. mouse, keyboard and flash drives work ok w/o the kext. It's my webcam, bluetooth, printer etc that doesnt work.

Unfortunately I couldn't use ur bios settings, it said "wrong checksum", but it used optimized defaults and disables virtualization technology and cpu pll overvoltage.

Quite regularly I feel that setting up a hackintosh is a repeating process of 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards :)

So if you plug-in your headphones it won't redirect the sound?

Hmmm, I kinda expected Gigabyte to store the settings in a pretty XML format, but they have to make it a complicated binary. You are using the modded 20e bios right? I'll see if I can grab a few screenshots of my configuration.

Quite regularly I feel that setting up a hackintosh is a repeating process of 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards :)

Yep, I feel exactly the same way :D

So if you plug-in your headphones it won't redirect the sound?

Yes, my output device is Internal Speakers, which is the green jack on the rear panel (front speakers jack). When I plug in my headphones to the front panel nothing happens. Voodoo.hda used to have them separated as front panel green and rear panel green, so I could choose among them.
Hmmm, I kinda expected Gigabyte to store the settings in a pretty XML format, but they have to make it a complicated binary. You are using the modded 20e bios right? I'll see if I can grab a few screenshots of my configuration.
Ye, I'm using the modded 20e bios.

Thank you for wasting so much time and effort trying to help newbs like me, I really appreciate that.
Have a nice day.

Sure, I'm glad to help.

See attached a few screenshots of my BIOS.
Especially number 4 is important for USB settings.

Attachments

• 1-System.jpg
    1-System.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 318
  • 2-MIT.jpg
    2-MIT.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 3-Features.jpg
    3-Features.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 4-Peripherals.jpg
    4-Peripherals.jpg