Contribute
Register

Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I even disconnected the drives just to be sure.

--

some more info: gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, i7 3820; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670; seagate HDD, 8gb RAM, all of which worked (and still works) fine under mavericks.

i think the problem is just the stick. i vaguely remember trying to install mavericks some years ago with clover and running into a wall back then, too. could be my system just doesnt work with clover? it works fine with charmeleon.

i tried the recommended bios option and switched around anything that looked suspicious, removed all the peripherals, tried every USB port i could find, three different flash drives, nothing works.

i'm downloading windows not just to put it on a flash drive and see if it boots.

alright sorry actually i get the "Reboot and select proper device" error now. the /System/Library/Kernels error occurs when i try to boot the flash drive through the (already installed) charmeleon.

alright sorry actually i get the "Reboot and select proper device" error now. the /System/Library/Kernels error occurs when i try to boot the flash drive through the (already installed) charmeleon.

Usually that means you're trying to boot to a UEFI drive as a legacy device. Try setting your BIOS to boot UEFI only, or else set the BIOS to boot Legacy And UEFI and then use the BIOS hotkey to select a boot device and make sure you're selecting the entry UEFI:YourUSBDrive

...so, i just flashed my bios (Gigabyte ga-x79-ud3 motherboard rev1) with the newest firmware and that did the trick. The clover stick boots now. However, I can't get to the actual install process, i get a lot of errors I didn't get with charmeleon. Can't boot into my existing OS X install either, I suspect there's some bios settings it doesn't like but I couldn't figure it out. I think I'll stick with Windows for a while and install El Capitan when there's more noob ready how-tos.

Anyways if anyone has the same motherboard and can't boot into the clover usb, updating your firmware will make it bootable. Wether you'll manage to actually OS X is a different question... Plus it might frag your current install and flashing your bios is always a bit risky so proceed with caution.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20151127_053338189.jpg
    IMG_20151127_053338189.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 317
Please help... I get this same error. However, I am using a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXi3H-5010-BN unit. I have, somehow, successfully installed Yosemite with UEFI and I can still boot to this. However I have no internet or anything so I can't simply upgrade to El Capitan at this time that way.

That said, I've created a El Capitan installed the same way I did the Yosemite version and I get the kernel message and my problem is I can't find an option to select UEFI/Legacy in any matter. Any help would be much appreciated as I've search these forums and the internet at large and it just seems no one has one of these units that they are trying to install on. =/

Thanks for any help!
Misury

Does the BRIX have a BIOS hotkey to select a boot device? (Well, I've never seen a machine that doesn't, so a better question would be, do you know what the key is?) Often the BIOS will suggest both Legacy and UEFI boot options for the same drive, and in your case it may be choosing Legacy first where you need it to be UEFI. So hit the BIOS hotkey during boot and select UEFI:YourDriveName as the thing to boot to.

Edit: stork also turned up a link to a Broadwell BRIX report: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ts-intel-hd-5500-graphics-broadwell-brix.html

This error can also be due to Chimera being part of your existing install. Make sure you are booting from the UniBeast USB with Clover on it.

This includes pressing hotkey to choose boot device at startup.
You are correct but i am using the hotkey too boot up. But then it goes to Chimera again ......I try to select the USB from it and i get same error.

Hello All ,

I have same problem

can't find system/library/kernels/kernel

I fxed it by just putting usb stick on the first boot device on my motherboard.

A solution:
the kernel is inside of the InstallESD.dmg -> core.pkg or base*.pkg.
open with pacifist.app and copy the kernel folder into your installation media inside "System/Library".
then make a copy of "kernel" itself to the root of media, rename to "mach_kernel", OR just download your macOS kernel version, just google it to download.

have a good hack! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back