Contribute
Register

Building a 3930k System, need some recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299- A II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

After reading a bunch of great info on this forums I'm starting my journey.

I purchased an i7 3930k CPU, a CM GX 750W power supply and a case.

I'm wondering if you guys might be able to answer some questions:

1. Should I follow the recommended 2011 mobo on the buyer's guide:
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 or should I try the
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme or are there other choices (I'm looking for the most functional and safe solution)?

2. Does that CPU need a fan? If so, should I go to a liquid cooling like the
Corsair H60 Hydro Series
Liquid Cooler or am I ok with a fan CPU cooling solution? What are the pros/cons besides additional noise?

3. I'm planning on getting a GTX 660ti for graphics, seems to be a safe choice yes (I'll be running Mountain Lion)?

I think that's it for now. Mostly I really need mother board advice since even though the Gigabyte is what is being recommended in the Buyer's Guide, I can't seem to find any thread of a successful build using that board and a 3930k CPU.

Many thanks!

The thing to remember with ASUS boards is the locked MSR in the UEFI. If you want native power management in OS X it requires a modded BIOS.
Since the socket 2011 boards are not supported by Apple at all, you might be able to get OS X to run, but it probably won't run as well as a socket 1155 board.

That said, compare the specs of the boards you are considering and choose the one that most closely fits your needs. The more closely that board matches the spec of the 1155 boards, the more likely most things will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back