Contribute
Register

Budget Friendly AMD 620 Motherboards launch

One thing that some of the tech sites have been bemoaning is the the lack USB on the new 620 chipsets. The image below is from the manual for Gigabytes A620M Gaming X AX, the amount of connections doesn't look bad to me and at least there's less chance of going over Apples 15 port limit!.
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 8.46.54 AM.png

18 x USB ports available in total on the motherboard. That is spread across two USB controllers on an AMD system, so shouldn't fall foul of the 15 port limit on either USB Controller.

The reviewers usually bemoan the lack of USB 3.2 Gen2 ports, of which there is only one on this motherboard. They are looking for the maximum number of high end USB ports with 10Gbps or better yet 20Gbps! They are not interested in USB2 or USB3 speed ports and think these ports are old hat and lacking the functionality they want!

18 x USB ports available in total on the motherboard. That is spread across two USB controllers on an AMD system, so shouldn't fall foul of the 15 port limit on either USB Controller.

The reviewers usually bemoan the lack of USB 3.2 Gen2 ports, of which there is only one on this motherboard. They are looking for the maximum number of high end USB ports with 10Gbps or better yet 20Gbps! They are not interested in USB2 or USB3 speed ports and think these ports are old hat and lacking the functionality they want!
Good point!, for someone like me it’s enough, it’s a budget board after all.

The first 620 motherboard appears on Newegg, the ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2 @ $85.99, that's tempting!. What is 'Hyper M.2 SSD'?. I'm not really familiar with ASRock, I don't think much of the color but I like the list of M.2 sockets one of them M.2 E Key for WiFi or, RX 560!. And the USB options don't seem bad to me, technically portable Ventura via six of USB 3.2 Gen 1, one of them being Type-C!. The Gigabyte above sacrifices an M.2 slot for the USB 3.2 Gen 2. I don't think I've seen a kext for Nahimic Audio though.

M.2X3.png

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.54.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.44.42 AM.png

Link to English Manual can't be downloaded currently from either Global or China servers.

I think the term ‘Hyper’ is just a marketing tool to differentiate between the M.2 PCIe 3x4 and M.2 PCIe 4x4 connectors. They will probably use another term for the M.2 PCIe 5x4 connectors, when they become more prevalent. Some term that indicates it is faster than a device working at Hyper speed!

ASRock seem to have maximised the use of the space available on the board pictured above, fitting 3 x M.2 connectors in and around the PCIe slots. Might get a bit warm if the case lacks adequate cooling and a high end dGPU was installed.

The first 620 motherboard appears on Newegg, the ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2 @ $85.99, that's tempting!. What is 'Hyper M.2 SSD'?. I'm not really familiar with ASRock, I don't think much of the color but I like the list of M.2 sockets one of them M.2 E Key for WiFi or, RX 560!. And the USB options don't seem bad to me, technically portable Ventura via six of USB 3.2 Gen 1, one of them being Type-C!. The Gigabyte above sacrifices an M.2 slot for the USB 3.2 Gen 2. I don't think I've seen a kext for Nahimic Audio though.

Product&quicklink=true[/URL]

I was just reading that article!, as I understand it, you could install an 'X' CPU with a base TDP at 105W but it's not going to run at full speed, unless a BIOS update comes along. Similar situation to my A320I-K which now supports an 'X' series after a BIOS update.

Have been reading that some A620 boards, specifically ASRocks A620M-HDV/M.2 and A620M-HDV/M.2+ will only support up to 65W and 120W respectively. Where as Gigabytes A620M Gaming X AX and Gaming X will support up tp 170W, so most 'X' and 'X3D' processors.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 7.51.11 AM.png

Have been reading that some A620 boards, specifically ASRocks A620M-HDV/M.2 and A620M-HDV/M.2+ will only support up to 65W and 120W respectively. Where as Gigabytes A620M Gaming X AX and Gaming X will support up tp 170W, so most 'X' and 'X3D' processors.

View attachment 565407

if you want the best performance out of your "X"CPU or if you want to run an X3D
I'd suggest to anyone that if you are running either an "X" or "X3D" version CPU stay away from the A620 boards.

Back