Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and congrats on your successful build. One questions from my end, which kexts did you use for your 6870 and how easy was it to get it to show full res and hardware acceleration?

Fantastic information man, thank you. I'm going to be looking into all of this today. I'm gonna start looking into why it takes a little longer for USB3 to mount up once its plugged in. Sometimes it takes like 30 seconds to mount up, but it does always mount up. And its fast! I did notice that the eSATA ports in the back were not as fast, and that things slowed down when I ran tests again after I'd had everything up and running and all hooked up, so I'm gonna have to play the SATA Shuffle and see if I can't keep things kicking even faster.

Here's the last thing I'm gonna be looking into is that the time it takes for the computer to actually get to the BIOS screen takes 3 times as long as it takes for Lion to boot. The video takes a while to kick in, which makes me think its a video issue of some kind. Would be curious to know if you've had any thoughts on that.

Again, thank you so much for your brain and kindness! Some cool **** is being made as a result of your hard work :)

elteadogg said:
Here's the last thing I'm gonna be looking into is that the time it takes for the computer to actually get to the BIOS screen takes 3 times as long as it takes for Lion to boot.

There are three BIOS setting changes that will make your boot MUCH faster:

1) Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> ASM1061 Storage OPROM -> Disabled
2) Boot -> Post Report -> 1 sec
3) Boot -> Option ROM Messages -> Keep Current

This shaved something like 20 to 30 seconds from my boot time. However, it still takes about 25 seconds from power button push to the Chimera boot screen. My guess is that is a factor of the fact that I have 32GB RAM; and it probably does a basic check at each boot. I think it's checking hardware for almost 20 seconds every boot -- we could confirm by reading the motherboard status LED.

invisiblesurfer said:
Hello and congrats on your successful build. One questions from my end, which kexts did you use for your 6870 and how easy was it to get it to show full res and hardware acceleration?

The Chimera boot-loader graphics enabler does all the work, and is turned on by default using my build instructions. It just works at full res and accelerated with no kexts or other software needed. I'm using with two displays. 1920x1200 on left and 1600x1200 on right. Everything is super fast and accelerated (as you can see in the performance charts).

Hi MK500,

I would like to say thank you for your Golden Build and without you, I wouldn't have been able to build this "Beast"!!!

Everything seems to be running correctly except for USB3. It seems that every time I plug a device in OSX Lion 10.7.4 crashes. Also I'm getting this screen about my mac. Is this normal? I've clocked it exactly how you have done it...

Regards,
etht26

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 7.38.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 7.38.36 PM.png
    605.7 KB · Views: 333
Hi Etht26,

Happy to help!

I have a USB Audio class device that will cause kernel panics when connected to my USB3 ports. Luckily audio devices generally are not running at USB3 speeds; so don't need to be connected to those ports. Are you connecting an audio device to your USB3 ports?

All of my other USB3 devices work perfectly, and this is the only kernel panic I have ever experienced on this machine. I think this is just an issue with the LaCie USB3 driver.

The 3.8Ghz you are seeing is not the real speed of your mac. You can run Geekbench to see how fast it's running. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to see the actual speed your CPU is at without connecting some additional hardware. If you grab an extra monitor or TV and connect it to your ROG OC Key DVI port, you can push the button on the back of your motherboard and it will display the actual current CPU on the display. Theoretically you can put the ROG OC Key inline with your primary display, but I recommend against it. It's a bit flaky -- but works great when it has a display all to itself. I used this device to tune my overclock until it was perfect.

As you can see, my mac also shows 3.8Ghz...but it is certainly running at 4.2Ghz based on readout from OC Key and overall speed testing. There are tweaks you can do to make this say different things; but I haven't done so because it's just a visual thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 11.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 11.27.40 PM.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 290
MK500 could you do me a favor and run the Geebench in 32bit mode?

I'm getting lower scores than you despite having (I think) set my various over clocking settings to what yours are and I'm curious as to if the 32 bit mode vs your 64 bit mode explains the difference.

Hackintosh
Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Integer Processor integer performance 16278 18475
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 29879
Memory Memory performance 7571
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 8066
Geekbench 2.3.1 Tryout for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

hi again!

You used the FakeSMC Plugins --> AMD Radeon Plugin
if you would use a nvidia gtx 570 like i would like to, would you just simply use the nvidia plugin?

thanks in advance, regards SH

stefanhuberfilms said:
hi again!

if you would use a nvidia gtx 570 like i would like to, would you just simply use the nvidia plugin?

You should also install the nVidia 4xx/5xx support under the Multi-beast graphics section as well, if you don't already have the current nVidia drivers installed.

ggeorge said:
stefanhuberfilms said:
hi again!

You should also install the nVidia 4xx/5xx support under the Multi-beast graphics section as well, if you don't already have the current nVidia drivers installed.

Thank you for your answer, should i install the nvidia support and later on the latest drivers plus cuda drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back