Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
stefanhuberfilms said:
Hi!

Another question, which thermal paste did you use?

regards SH

I have some expertise in this area; as I do repairs on high end CPU/GPU systems weekly. I've applied thermal compound to well over 1000 pairs of high power CPU/GPU in that work. I'm a huge fan of Arctic Silver Ceramique. It is easy to work with and very easy to clean off and re-apply. AS5 is much more messy for negligible increase in performance (maybe a degree or two). I'm a neatness freak on my electronics; so hate getting any thermal compound where it should't be (often a problem with AS5).

I prep the CPU using Arcticlean and lint free towels from Dupont (designed for jet windshields). Any lint-free antistatic paper cleaning product should be ok though. Then I apply the compound exactly as instructed on the Arctic Silver website (thin line across center of CPU).

Also remember to pre-treat the heat sync side as shown on the Arctic Silver site. Basically a rice grain in the center of heat sync and then rub it in opposing circles across whole surface using plastic bag over your fingers. Then wipe clean.

I find this process is both easier, and more effective than when I used to try to apply a thin layer across the whole surface. Also, when I disassemble machines I've done this with I always find a very smooth surface across the whole CPU; so I know it works. Plus anecdotal evidence across a couple thousand components :)

(note that I wanted to say heat-spreader instead of CPU above for accuracy; but I don't want to confuse anyone)

Hiya mate, how's the beast going ?

Any luck with Speedstepping yet? I tried the latest PowerManagement and Speedstep stuff provided in the latest Multibeast 4.5.1 but to no avail, still no Speedstepping on X79. I think I must sit down one day, extract the bios and try and build a DSDT. Also found a very nice video tutorial from Asus on youtube for overclocking the Sabertooth X79, it's an hour long but the guy explains everything little setting in detail, just need to find me a few spare hours to actually overclock mine to around 4.4 Ghz.

I'm just about to buy the diglloyd tools, thanks for the recommendation. I upgraded my Boot SSD to a Sata-2/6G model and the BlackMagic Speed Test is maxed out across all tests so I think diglloyd will give me much more accurate results.

PS - congrats on getting this into Golden Builds, well worthy of it ;)

Thanks man! The beast is performing very well. I've been getting a lot of work done with it; which gives me less time for tweaking. I also did a big cleanup of my office and ended up misplacing a critical cable I use for connecting external hard drives...so now I don't have an easy way to do test builds (or update the guide). Hopefully I'll find that darn cable. I really want to tweak my guide for 10.7.4 and the new MultiBeast.

I've kind of given up on speedstep until Apple ships something more similar to our machines; which may never happen. I suppose I'm losing 100 watts or so by not having that; but overall it is running pretty cool temperature just running full bore 4.2Ghz all the time.

Good luck with your over-clocking! I highly recommend reading through this thread, and especially looking at the graphs:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/...anations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Especially check out that chart on processor speed vs. VCORE. Between 4.2 and 4.4 the VCORE really gets pushed quite a bit; which is what really kills the long term life of the CPU (plus makes it harder to cool, etc). I guess that's why I ended up staying at 4.2Ghz. But every chip is a little different; and I'm curious if your 3960 will behave differently than the charts (which are based on 3930 like mine). It could be better or worse; as you actually have a bit more silicon in there from the extra cache...which might require more VCORE to drive.

I'm currently configuring this machine, and I'm having a hard time getting into a Lion install. At first, I was doing a SanDisk 8GB USB key, but as it turns out, I'm fairly certain it was too slow...I was continually getting appleUSBEHCI unable to get filterInterruptEventSource error, which would just cause it to keep searching and go on endlessly. I copied that image to a USB hard drive and now that has gone away. But a new problem has reared its head, now it reboots itself over and over again. I have tried a bunch of different combos of flags, but can't seem to get it to stick. Any thoughts on what might be the issue? Also, I am running the bios exactly as you had it posted. All seems to be running well otherwise. I haven't tried to install Win 7 on it, but I will be dual booting it. Also going to be running a Blackmagic video capture card. Right now, I just have the bare minimum stuff installed, although I do have the PCIe OWC SSD in there.

Do I need to modify any of the kexts or use a DSDT on the unibeast/lion installer?

Hey MK500, this is an awesome machine and thanks for posting this.
I'm a newb here but I'd really love to duplicate your build if that's ok.
If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. is it still working great?
2. could there be an improvement that can be made as of today?
3. what mac pro would be equivalent to your build?

I do heavy video editing but I can't afford to spend 15k on a high end mac pro.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

elteadogg said:
Do I need to modify any of the kexts or use a DSDT on the unibeast/lion installer?

I'm not sure what's going on there. Are you overclocking (using my settings?). It may be that your overclock is not working due to insufficient cooling or just a difference in CPU. I would set all the overclocking stuff back to defaults and see if that helps. Then you can work on a stable overclock later.

You do need to drop the DSDT I linked to into your /Extra folder (see step 6), but no kexts need to be modified other than what I specified in the instructions.

Also, disconnect all un-necessary USB devices during install. I've had some issues with odd things happening during the install when I had all my various USB gadgets connected.

I will be updating my guide as soon as I get a new cable for my external test drive in the mail. The goal of the updated guide is to simplify everything based on the new versions of UniBeast and MultiBeast as well as 10.7.4. All of these have been updated since I wrote my guide; so it could be that the version you are using isn't working quite like the version I used during install.

Sorry for all the problems. My machine is running very smooth; so I know it's possible! I worked all day today using it; and every day.

imjkoh said:
Hey MK500, this is an awesome machine and thanks for posting this.
I'm a newb here but I'd really love to duplicate your build if that's ok.

It's absolutely OK. That's why I'm sharing it. I love my build; and hope you will love yours also.

imjkoh said:
1. is it still working great?.

Absolutely. I use it at least 8 hours every day. Lately 7 days per week. Often it is running through the night doing various processing or database routines as well. It's not unusual for me to have it crunching for 4 days straight. I have run a full 24 hour burn in test on Prime95 to confirm stability as well with no memory errors. The system is rock solid for me.

imjkoh said:
2. could there be an improvement that can be made as of today?

Now that the Accelsior 240GB is available, I would probably choose that over the 120GB. Only the 120GB was available when I built the system. The price difference is $160.

imjkoh said:
3. what mac pro would be equivalent to your build?

I guess there would be a few different areas for comparison. First would be raw performance. If you look here; you will see the Geekbench scores for current Mac Pro models:

http://www.barefeats.com/wst10.html

My geekbench score of 20,779 puts my machine between the 8-core and 12-core models. That's not too bad for only being a 6-core machine that costs considerably less.

Next I would compare expansion and bus performance. Compared to a Mac Pro; I have a lot more PCIe expansion slots, built in USB3, more internal SATA, external eSATA ports, and a ton of USB ports. The Mac Pro has an additional Ethernet port and built in Firewire (I use a card). I think the overall bus performance of the X79 chipset will exceed the Mac Pro; which is based on a much older bus. So moving data between all those devices and slots should never hit a bottleneck.

A third area of comparison would be build/component quality and sound level. I believe my machine is quite close to a Mac Pro in this regard. However, Apple really does build very nice hardware, so I would probably have to give the edge to Apple. One advantage in my system is that it's much cheaper to replace components if they fail however. Check out the price of a replacement Apple power supply or CPU sometime. Luckily they rarely fail.

Note that when I build database servers for my customers; I still use Mac Pros. I'm installing one next week actually. It will be a 3.2Ghz single CPU quad core Mac Pro with 12GB RAM and two OWC 200GB Enterprise SSD drives. Those machines are really bulletproof -- I run them 24x7 for years and years without worry.

imjkoh said:
I do heavy video editing but I can't afford to spend 15k on a high end mac pro.

I think this machine would likely suit your purposes well. Set up an internal or external RAID for your video, and you are good to go. A 4 or 5 way stripe RAID 1TB Western Digital Black would probably work nicely. Just make sure you back up somewhere. I use an OWC 4 disk RAID5 made up of WD 2TB greens for backups. But you could just throw everything on a single 2 or 3TB drive also. Just don't rely on a stripe as the only copy of your data ;-)

MK500, I've got this beast up and running. The numbers are exactly in line with yours, I've got the OWC 250GB PCIe SSD and the thing smokes. But I will say a 3 drive RAID of Seagate 2TB on 6G SATA definitely does its best to keep up.

One of two real issues I'm having at this point have to do with the ports on the Radeon. It appears that it only likes certain combinations of outputs, and when it doesn't like them I lose video altogether. It seems to be most happy with one DVI-D screen and one HDMI screen...I have the HDMI going out to a Panasonic BT-LH1760 as this computer's primary purpose is for video and photography. I've been seeing some things around about editing some hex addresses in some system files to give the video card full functionality, but I've also been sleeping about 3 hours a night while doing both the tech and writing music for a commercial shoot, so I've been more breezing through a couple of posts rather than taking notes. More on that soon.

It's definitely a monster for both the money and for what it is, a bunch of great components running in harmony with a great OS. I wasn't sure about Lion and have avoided it like the plague up until this point, but I decided to take the leap and really get into making a full 64bit pathway for all the video/photo heavy lifting. I do believe it makes a huge difference.

The USB3 ports are a blessing to have, they are a little slow to mount sometimes but they do work consistently and are very fast. They outpace e-sata on every drive that I've tried thus far.

I would like to make the e-sata work normally, and it seems like everytime I run multibeast to enable its hot-swappable nature it doesn't stick, they just always appear as internal. Wasn't sure if you had any insight into that. Do you just have them all show up as internal? I'm moving drives between computers a lot on productions so it's a little more important for me. However USB3 is filling that void quite nicely when the enclosure supports it. Currently running a CalDigit 3TB RAID on USB3 and it performs as well as you would expect.

I'm running Final Cut Studio 3 on it, and it seems much more stable and able to deal with the Phantom Cine files I'm throwing at it than it was on a couple of the other real macs I was using to do this before. In full disclosure, however, I have not tried those machines on snow leopard with a clean install. There are only so many hours in the day!!

For any of the pro photographers out there, a major reason I built this machine was to help the very frustrated photogs/directors I work with, feeling disappointed with the fact that their new digital back (the Phase One IQ180) was creating such large files that the workflow for shooting fashion had become unbearably sluggish. With the older digital back, the files were around 35MB. Now they are around 86MB and it became painful when they were shooting thousands of shots. I did a quick test once I got the system running, and quickly fired off over 100 shots with no issues whatsoever. Then I rendered those 100 shots into 500 MB 16bit raw files, fired up 3 1080p HD Vimeo videos, and started shooting some more. Not even a hiccup! I was truly impressed.

The other hangup at this point is the Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D card. It shows up, and every program sees it, but I'm not getting video in or out of it. I was using quality signal paths and everything was connected correctly, but wasn't able to make it capture or send video. Seems strange, so I've been playing around with some settings in the OS and in the BIOS. It also makes the programs that utilize it hang or just doesn't respond to much. It does output a signal of some kind (my monitor reflects the changes in resolution when I change it), but the picture is always blank. I have to wonder if moving it to another slot will do the trick, or something of that nature. Just seems odd that everything else would work totally as advertised and this one thing doesnt. I will post results when I get something to work :)

Overall, however, this machine smokes. I thank you very much for the hours of hard work you put into detailing this build, and to the community at large who chooses to support itself when manufacturers don't listen to their patrons. As a lifelong computer geek, I have come full circle, building quality computers with great components which are easily replaced if the worst were to happen. I'm not sure whether Apple cares or not i'm sure the iPad and iPhone are plenty profitable enough where they don't), but I think that the core of Apple's success lies in the creatives who have bled with these machines to make art. The further they stray away from that, the less successful they are likely to become. I still have nothing but the utmost respect for the kinds of machines Apple has always built over the past 10 years. They almost always take the high road in terms of quality and build, and I have enough macs that still run and still get used to be a living testament to that. I only retire these machines when they DIE. They are plenty repairable and solidly built workhorses, and in building a Hackintosh we can only hope to achieve at least some of that class of machine. The numbers, however, don't lie. This is an exciting time to be a creative and a technician.

If you want any more specific information about my build, I'll be more than happy to document it and post it on this thread for anyone else who would like to build a similar machine. I'm not a hackintosh expert, but this is the most fun I've had in a while fixing computers. Ironically, I know tons more now than I ever did about OS X :)

Great post elteadogg! Good to hear details of how you've been using your rig.

I would definitely try moving that card to a different PCIe slot. I've found some cards work better in different slots. Unfortunately I don't know why yet. I had that problem with a second Ethernet card and my Firewire card. I had to swap them, and then no problem.

I've been doing some testing with SATA today; so I might be able to give you some insight.

First, there are 6 internal SATA ports on the X79 bus (so directly connected to CPU). These seem to be "better" than the other 4 hanging off the separate ASM1061 chip. My theory is that the ASM1061 only has about 1 PCIe lane wort of bandwidth to share across 4 SATA 6 Gbit/s ports. This is not nearly enough!

So the 6 ports on X79 bus are two SATA 6 Gbit/s and 4 SATA 3 Gbit/s. Tonight I connected two OWC Enterprise Class 200GB SSD drives to the two SATA 6 Gbit/s. I could stream 500MB/s to both drives simultaneously (read or write - same speed). While that was running I could saturate one of the 4 SATA 3Gbit/s ports at about 280MB/s as well, and it didn't slow anything down. It seems like those 6 ports on X79 have plenty of bandwidth.

The 4 ports on the ASM1061 chip include the two eSATA ports. When I connected just one of the same OWC Enterprise Class 200GB SSD drives to one of the eSATA ports, the most I was getting was 375MB/s (vs. 500MB/s using the X79 port). If I connected it internally to one of the ASM1061 ports with the same cable I was using in the earlier test, I still could only get 375MB/s. If I add the second drive both drives drop in speed substantially (around 160 to 250MB/s).

So, the ASM1061 is just not that fast. Also, you are not supposed to connect ATAPI (optical drives) to it -- so it's not even useful for that. It's fine for lower performance arrays and stuff that maxes out around 250MB/s...but for SSDs and such it's critical to use the X79 ports. You may want to put an external eSATA backplane on those two SATA 6 Gbit/s X79 ports and boot from a OWC Accelsior. Or install a high performance PCIe eSATA card to maximize your eSATA performance. Barefeats.com has some good PCIe eSATA card recomendations.

Also, I have never been able to get eSATA hotplug to work on this machine or any hackintosh. For hot-plug; I think USB3 is probably your best bet. I end up doing a quick re-boot whenever I want to change any eSATA devices (luckily it's very quick with SSD...but still a royal pain).

EDIT: I've been able to get eSATA hotplug working perfectly now with newest BIOS and 10.8.3. I love this feature!

Note that I'm attempting to update my build instructions for UniBeast 1.3, Multibeast 4.5.1, and 10.7.4 at the moment.

elteadogg said:
One of two real issues I'm having at this point have to do with the ports on the Radeon. It appears that it only likes certain combinations of outputs, and when it doesn't like them I lose video altogether.

If you go to 3 displays you have to have at least one active mini display port adaptor. I am currently using the HDMI port and the mini display port next to it (with HDMI adapter) for two displays. You may need to pick up an active mini display port adaptor.

Also, if you lose video, try disconnecting and re-connecting that display. I have that happen occasionally when switching displays. Doing the disconnect/reconnect always fixes it. I've never fully lost display though; so your problem may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back