Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a ThunderboltEX II DUAL with my Z97 Gryphon and it works good
but aint without a bit of a hassle.

The thing is that if you update your main boards bios thunderbolt stops
working in OS X and you need to reinstall the card under Windows to get it working again.

(card won't even work in Windows if you don't reinstall it after a bios update)

Thanks! I will keep this in mind :thumbup:

I use a ThunderboltEX II DUAL with my Z97 Gryphon and it works good
but aint without a bit of a hassle.

The thing is that if you update your mainboards bios thunderbolt stops
working in OS X and you need to reinstall the card under Windows to get it working again.

(card won't even work in Windows if you don't reinstall it after a bios update)

You say you are using the ThunderboltEX II DUAL with the Z97 Gryphon (mATX)? I was under the impression that the dual thunderbolt port version of the ThunderboltEX II was only compatible with one of the full ATX ASUS boards and that the mATX Gryphon was only able to use that single port version of the ThunderboltEX II card. Was there anything special you had to do to get the DUAL card working?

You say you are using the ThunderboltEX II DUAL with the Z97 Gryphon (mATX)? I was under the impression that the dual thunderbolt port version of the ThunderboltEX II was only compatible with one of the full ATX ASUS boards and that the mATX Gryphon was only able to use that single port version of the ThunderboltEX II card. Was there anything special you had to do to get the DUAL card working?

Yes the card works on my gryphon lol. RTF.

Bort ports works, wouldn't have bought the card if it didn't.

Yes the card works on my gryphon lol. RTF.

Bort ports works, wouldn't have bought the card if it didn't.

Thanks, for your response, that's great news! I was really hoping for dual thunderbolt ports but the Asus website lists only the Z87-DELUXE and Z97-DELUXE as compatible with the dual port card, so I got the single port card for my Gryphon. I will definitely be getting the dual port card now!

Is this card also compatible with PCI graphic cards (GeForce or Radeon) and not only with the internal graphic (e.g. Intel 4600)?

I.e. can i connect the displayport of a Radeon card with the ThunderboltEX DisplayportIn connector?

If this is the case one could connect high performance Radeon with a Apple Thunderbolt-Display. That would be amazing!

Greetings from Switzerland!

Is this card also compatible with PCI graphic cards (GeForce or Radeon) and not only with the internal graphic (e.g. Intel 4600)?

I.e. can i connect the displayport of a Radeon card with the ThunderboltEX DisplayportIn connector?

If this is the case one could connect high performance Radeon with a Apple Thunderbolt-Display. That would be amazing!

Think it ought to work, but think it would be wise to ask that question to ASUS.

I just tried it with a Radeon 260X and it didn't work.

^ I'm thinking it may be more likely to work with one of the 5xx-7xx Nvidia cards? I'd be curious if anybody has had success with such a configuration. .

... also, I'm wondering if it's possible to run the thunderbolt card without having to hook it up to any kind of gpu at all - and just use it strictly for other peripherals such as hard drives and audio interfaces...

This would do without any awkward cabling in the back. Instead, I could simply use the DVI, HDMI or Displayport ports from the motherboard - and have them going direct into a monitor.

Most of the builds I have done in the past have been for audio purposes anyway, so going integrated GPU direct to a monitor wouldn't be a problem and would leave both TB ports free for drives and an interface..

I've had it working off a GT9600, but poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back