Contribute
Register

Asus 1155 Patched BIOS Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
your cpu still has turbo mode, so you should still be able to afaik.

can you try remaking your dsdt with the patched bios, and see if that helps.

if that doesnt change it, i have no idea mate

samisnake said:
your cpu still has turbo mode, so you should still be able to afaik.
can you try remaking your dsdt with the patched bios, and see if that helps.
if that doesnt change it, i have no idea mate

Just ran a few experiments. BTW, already created the dsdt with the patched bios.

I have three options for turbo mode in the BIOS: 1 "Auto", 2 "By All Cores" and 3 "By Per Core". The resulting extra settings of options 2 and 3 only let me pick "Auto". I assume this is because I have a regular i7. I tried all three with the patch BIOS and vanilla AICPUPM and then ran the CPU test in CineBench.

Option 1: CB score of 6.8, 5 PStates (16 23 35 36 37)
Option 2: CB score of 7.3, 2 PStates (16 and 38)
Option 3: CB score of 6.8, 3 PStates (16 35 37)

Different results than first time I tested, but these results are pretty consistent (i.e. can be repeated and give same results).

So looks like option 1 doesn't allow the turbo state to kick in, option 2 doesn't allow the intermediate PStates.

Didn't bother going back to stock BIOS now and rerun the experiments.

To be honest, Im tempted to go for option 1 and accept the fact the Turbo doesn't kick in. Can anyone tell me what the impact on stability or speed of my system would be if I go for option 2 (and miss out on the 23 35 36 and 37 states)?

turbo is kicking in with option 1.
you are getting 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7ghz, all of which are turbo speeds. stock would be 34 (3.4ghz).
so you are only missing 100mhz which you get with option 2 (38 or 3.8ghz)

there would be no impact to stability or speed with option 2.
the difference would be that you are either running at 1.6ghz or 3.8ghz, with no speeds in between.

option 1 is the better option

Great work samisnake. I'm using your patched bios for my P8Z68-V Pro and it's working fine.

I'm having an issue with sleep though. For some reason, if I use the USB 3.0 kext (PXHCD.kext I think) to enable USB3 on my motherboard, then I lose my sleep capabilities.

I was wondering if you had any idea on how to fix this?

Here's what I've done:

1) Flashed to your patched bios
2) Enabled C1, C3, C6; Disabled PLL Overvoltage in BIOS
3) Created DSDT with motherboard patch and ALC892 patch (Compiled & Fixed with 0 errors)

Right now, if I put my computer to sleep, it will sleep for approximately 3-5 seconds and then immediately wake up by itself.

If I remove the USB3 next, then sleep works properly but then my USB3 ports don't. :(

For the record, this issue I'm having has nothing to do with your BIOS -- I was having this problem with the patched AICPUPM as well, and flashed to your bios hoping it would fix it.

So if there is anything you can recommend or suggest to help fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=37056&p=240504&hilit=sleep#p240504

Warning: If you are thinking about using the latest MultiBeast 4.1.0 for Lion, you might not want to install the latest USB 3.0 driver (v1.0.7) as I've found out it causes several issues with sleep/wake-up/shutdown/restart.

1. Sleep sometimes does not fully sleep
2. Shutdown will blank the display, but the machine does not shutdown
3. Sleep, then wake-up, then restart will not restart the machine
4. After a failed shutdown, if you push and hold the Power button to shut down the machine, pressing Power again will not turn the machine on. And if you push + hold Power again to shut it down, and then restart, you'll get an "USB ports using excessive power" message.

I reverted back to USB 3.0 kext v1.0.1 and everything is golden again.

download an older version of multibeast to install the usb 3.0 kext, and then test sleep again

samisnake said:
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=37056&p=240504&hilit=sleep#p240504

Warning: If you are thinking about using the latest MultiBeast 4.1.0 for Lion, you might not want to install the latest USB 3.0 driver (v1.0.7) as I've found out it causes several issues with sleep/wake-up/shutdown/restart.

1. Sleep sometimes does not fully sleep
2. Shutdown will blank the display, but the machine does not shutdown
3. Sleep, then wake-up, then restart will not restart the machine
4. After a failed shutdown, if you push and hold the Power button to shut down the machine, pressing Power again will not turn the machine on. And if you push + hold Power again to shut it down, and then restart, you'll get an "USB ports using excessive power" message.

I reverted back to USB 3.0 kext v1.0.1 and everything is golden again.

download an older version of multibeast to install the usb 3.0 kext, and then test sleep again

Thanks for the fast reply. I will definitely give that a try but I think I may have discovered another possible explanation from that thread you linked me.

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=37056&hilit=sleep&start=100

^in that thread, you replied to doomstalk who had a problem with C-States not being generated.

I just typed bdmesg in terminal and it is showing the same problem:

Code:
Customizing SystemID with : 001a001f-c600-0014-0f8d-f46d04582d92
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 41809 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: boot-uuid=D6540B25-5BB3-30B1-97DE-E82400B2B4B0 rd=*uuid -v npci=0x2000 darkwake=0

You provided doomstalk with a DSDT and SSDT.

I followed your tutorial to create the DSDT but I performed it in Windows. So I'll try recreating the DSDT with your tutorial, but this time doing it in Mac and see how that works.

But if it doesn't work, would it be possible for you to create a DSDT & SSDT for my P8Z68-V Pro (using your custom bios)?

Thanks a lot for all the help!

the dsdt & ssdt sent to doomstalk doesnt allow for sleep.
that dsdt includes scope_pr info on the cpus, which for some reason causes the system to not sleep, or more specifically, wake from sleep.

have you enabled c1e, c3 report and c6 report in the bios?
is internal pll overvoltage disabled?

i would check that, then use the older usb3 kext first

samisnake said:
the dsdt & ssdt sent to doomstalk doesnt allow for sleep.
that dsdt includes scope_pr info on the cpus, which for some reason causes the system to not sleep, or more specifically, wake from sleep.

have you enabled c1e, c3 report and c6 report in the bios?
is internal pll overvoltage disabled?

i would check that, then use the older usb3 kext first

Yes initially I thought I was just having a sleep problem. But it appears I'm also having a C-states & P-States not being generated problem as well. I think that both issues might be related, and if I manage to fix the CPU C-States & P-States problem, then sleep might work too once I do that.

So would you like me to still load the older usb3 next, or first somehow fix the CPU C-States issue and then come back to this if sleep is still not working?

I recreated the DSDT in Mac following your tutorial. Compiled it, fixed it -- it has 0 errors. Placed it in /Extra and I'm still having the same problem with C/P-States not being generated.

C1e, C3 report and C6 report are all enabled. Internal PLL Overvoltage is disabled.

//Edit:

Ok did some more research and it looks like C & P States are not being generated with this bios according to this thread. (For those who are curious to see if theirs are being generated, try the command "bdmesg" in terminal). Fortunately, I'm still getting at least 2 states (1.6GHz and 4.5GHz) when I check with MSRDumper so that's good enough for me.

Will report back with after installing the older USB3 kext and let you know if that resolves the sleep issues.

//Edit2:

Tried older usb3 kext as suggested -- not working. :(

It seemed like it was going to work because it took like 10 seconds to sleep. But after it went to sleep, it automatically woke up. =\

This is what the kernel log is showing:
Feb 20 00:38:03 kernel[0]: Wake reason: pci1b21,1042 pci1b21,1042

Anyone with a P8H61-M LE board and tried the patched bios ?

samisnake said:
turbo is kicking in with option 1.
you are getting 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7ghz, all of which are turbo speeds. stock would be 34 (3.4ghz).
so you are only missing 100mhz which you get with option 2 (38 or 3.8ghz)

there would be no impact to stability or speed with option 2.
the difference would be that you are either running at 1.6ghz or 3.8ghz, with no speeds in between.

option 1 is the better option

Thanks for your help - I didn't realize "option 1" does provide a turbo state. With option 1, the computer stays as quiet as a mouse. With option 2, you can really hear the fan kick in after a while.

Option 1 is good enough for me. So for the record: I can confirm the P8P67 Pro BIOS from the repository works like a charm on my revision 3.0 board - no need for a patched kext anymore :).

On to the next (and final!) challenge: getting idle sleep to work :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back