Contribute
Register

Anybody with the "Essentials.pkg" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on this: the installer log shows the error to be a failure to extract from the archive. This is consistent with my evidence from installing Mavericks on the same platform.

I downloaded the 10.10.2 update.

I will check out the 10.10.1

OK, I have a successful install now.

This is the sequence of events, in case it helps anyone else.

I swapped out my SSD for an old 80Gb HDD that had been sitting in a drawer for 2 years and formatted it with the Utilities option in the installer.

No go. Same failure.

I then installed the second of the two 2Gb memory sticks, making 4Gb in total.

Ran the installer with option -no-zp. Success.

Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the memory (or it was just a lucky break, but I had tried about a dozen times with different variables).

I will try to install to the original SSD tomorrow and report back.

So now I do have the successful build of the intended system.

I formatted the SSD with the Disk Utility and installed Yosemite using the -no-zp boot flag.

The key seemed to be the change from one 2Gb stick of memory to two, contrary to the advice in the build instructions.

So my recommendations are:

- use memory that is certified for your MB (look on the mfrs website for compatible memory)
- format the target disk (although I am unsure if this makes a difference)
- use the -no-zp boot flag.

HTH

So now I do have the successful build of the intended system.

I formatted the SSD with the Disk Utility and installed Yosemite using the -no-zp boot flag.

The key seemed to be the change from one 2Gb stick of memory to two, contrary to the advice in the build instructions.

So my recommendations are:

- use memory that is certified for your MB (look on the mfrs website for compatible memory)
- format the target disk (although I am unsure if this makes a difference)
- use the -no-zp boot flag.

HTH

A clean SSD helps towards success. Its better to erase it using the manufacturers tool instead, which does a flash erase, rather than the OSX tool, which does it a different way.

For what it's worth, maybe someone was like me and didn't think logically..

I was using maxmem=4096 when I have 4x8GB sticks of RAM. I change nothing and instead used maxmem=8192 and it worked fine.

Worth noting I also used nv_disable=1 to disable my GTX 970 and installed using built in gpu. But yeah, only used maxmem and that was all...

hey i have the same problem with the essentials.pkg

i did a few restarts and and used two usb sticks did it on my brothers macbook and used every usb port on my motherboard and it doesn´t work
i used all of the flags you mentioned earlier none of them worked
it´s always at 10 min then 11 min and so on after that comes the message that it can't be installed

is there anyone with with an asus z87 motherboard who has a working machine and give me your bios settings maybe there is something with my bios settings

i hope someone can help me it´s been two days now

Suggest you focus on the memory you have in MB. Use more. Use less. Check it's certified for your MB.

Are you using a freshly formatted target drive?

These things are what worked for me.

i´m using 2x2 GB Ram from Kingston a fresh sad from kingston
and i formatted the ssd every single time i tried it

and it won't work

Take out one stick of
Memory and try again. Frustrating, ain't it? Is the Kingston memory certified for the MB?

i don´t know if the ram is certified for my asus mb

i´ll try this later with only one ram stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back