GA-Z77X-UD5H; 16GB RAM; 256GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello folks,
I have a simple question about ssd compatibility for my hack. The tonymac guide suggests the Sandisk extreme ssds and nothin else. I'm trying to understand why. The computer store in my neighbourhood is constantly dropping prices on many other brands, however I have been reluctant to purchase - as I really do t feel like wasting my time or money. Am I just paranoid? I mean, it's just a storage device - I can understand the complexities involving selecting a certain motherboard and graphics card, but not a hdd.
You can flame me for this dumb ass question as much as you wish

Hello folks,
I have a simple question about ssd compatibility for my hack. The tonymac guide suggests the Sandisk extreme ssds and nothin else. I'm trying to understand why. The computer store in my neighbourhood is constantly dropping prices on many other brands, however I have been reluctant to purchase - as I really do t feel like wasting my time or money. Am I just paranoid? I mean, it's just a storage device - I can understand the complexities involving selecting a certain motherboard and graphics card, but not a hdd.
You can flame me for this dumb ass question as much as you wish

The guide includes tested quality products, you can get another SSD too. Some a cheaper, some are slower ...

OCZ Vertex 3 works with Mountain Lion

TonyMac recommended the SankDisk because it represented the best quality/price combination at the time. Any SSD should work, but the most highly recommended on this site are the SanDisk Extreme, the Crucial M4 and the Samsung 830. I just picked up a Samsung 830 yesterday from Amazon and plan to use it in a Mini build.

I have the Sandisk Extreme here. I bought it because of what I read about it on numerous hardware review sites, and its performance is great.

I initially looked at several SSDs in the same way; the recommendations here simply gave me a good starting point, which is what I believe they are provided for.

I just bought a 240GB Sandisk Extreme. It's cheapest 240GB I can find here and it has good benchmarks. It has problems with TRIM at the moment. It's been fixed by Sandforce but we're still waiting for Sandisk to release new firmware. Other SSDs I considered were the Crucial m4, HyperX 3k and Samsung 830.

For durability, I suggest the older HyperX or the Intel 520.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back