Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok, since so many seem to be having problems getting sound working with the ALC885 and ALC889A codecs, here are some easy to follow step by step instructions:

One pre-requirement for this to work on Gigabyte motherboards is that you install the latest BIOS. I don't know if this work on motherboards by other manufacturers. It also requires that you've updated OSX to 10.6.2 and have the right DSDT.aml file installed.

1. Go here
2. If you haven't registered, register with the site
3. Download the "Series of LegacyHDA.zip" for the ALC888, the "Gigabyte_ALC888b_P55.zip" for the ACL888B and the "Gigabyte_ALC889_P55.zip" for the ALC889 toy have to go to this post and download the file at the end of it (requires registration)
4. Extract the zip file
5. Open the folder into which the files unziped
6. Ok, this is the tricky part, as you now have to chose one of the four folders depending on the configuration of your onboard audio solution.
6.1. Have a look at the rear of your system, if you have five 3.5mm audio jacks, then you use the 3outs2ins files and if you have six 3.5mm audio jacks, then you use the 4outs2ins files.
6.2. The check if you have connected up the front audio jacks on your case (if it has those) and which type of connection you've used. There are two types, AC'97 and HDA, they're generally labeled on the connectors that attaches to a small green connector on the motherboard. Use the Legacy file if you have an older case and you've used the connector labelled AC'97 (or none at all) or use the HDA if you've used the HDA connector.
7. Copy the LegacyHDA.kext to the Extra/Extensions folder.
8. Drop the Extensions folder onto the Kext Utility (it's part of the MultiBeast) and wait for it to finish.
9. Open the utilities folder, start the disk utility and repair the disk permissions.
10. Reboot
11. If you've followed these instructions to the T then you should have sound by now

If you're not using an edited DSDT with the right audio settings for your motherboard, then follow these steps to get sound working

1. Go back to the ALC889a_LayoutID_885 folder
2. Open the HDAEnabler_for Snow folder
3. Open the HDAEnabler_885 folder
4. Use kexthelper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext
5. Open the utilities folder, start the disk utility and repair the disk permissions.
6. Reboot and it should work

Please note: Do NOT install the Mac Pro audio update, it will break the sound. The only fix for this is to re-install the AppleHDA.kext

Thanks for this guide- it will help people get the right ins/outs working for their particular sound card. Installing the proper DSDT and using MultiBeast will also get you sound for these chipsets, but you may not have proper ins and outs. :clap:

about those proper ins and outs....
don't know if its possible, but i want to use my headphones too.
my setup: p55-ud2 rev 1.0 f7
installed with the "old" leopard-> snow leopard installation, never changed anything

sound is working since installation ( ext. speakers ) but is it possible to get headphones working too? what i am looking for: turn of the ext. speakers and use the headphones instead without changing the jacks at the backside.

I have automatic headphone socket switching on my ALC889A and the same worked on another system I set up with an ALC889. As soon as you plug in the headphones, the internal speaker changes to headphones. I did read somewhere that you have to enable automatic jack sensing in Windows though, not sure if this is still the case.

thelostswede said:
Ok, since so many seem to be having problems getting sound working with the ALC885 and ALC889A codecs, here are some easy to follow step by step instructions:

One pre-requirement for this to work on Gigabyte motherboards is that you install the latest BIOS. I don't know if this work on motherboards by other manufacturers. It also requires that you've updated OSX to 10.6.2 and have the right DSDT.aml file installed.

1. Go here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=140941
Oops!! page cannot be found....!

thelostswede said:
...As soon as you plug in the headphones, the internal speaker changes to headphones..

this is exactly what i wanted to get around. i want my headphones permanent to be plugged in, and when i power off the speakers ( so my girlfriend can watch dsds :rolleyes: ) i want to use my headphones without switching the plugs.

the bottom line is: i need 3 outs. L/R AND Headphones. working at the same time :thumbup:

In my case all the rear jacks work, but you have to manually select the output under the sound settings, but that way it's just a couple of clicks to do what you want. Try plugging in your speakers in one of the other jacks (except the Mic input which should work as just that) and see if it doesn't allow you to get sound through the speakers that way.

none of the jacks works if i select headphones in the sound settings (except mic).
so i opened my case and attached the front panel connectors.
now it works... not really looking good, having the headphone cables at the front but i think i can't have my cake and eat it ;)

but thanks for your advice!

I have all the rear jacks working, so if you plug in your speakers in the green socket for example and then the headphones in one of the other (orange, black or blue, but not line in) then you'll be able to select those outputs in system preferences and sound which will disable the main speaker out jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back