Contribute
Register

Aftermarket cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU Fan

I've recently moved my Hackintosh to a new location, uprooting my 20" iMac. It used to be down under a desk in my hobby/storage/exercise room. now it is right up on the desk right by my monitor and man is it loud compared to the iMac. I'm using the retail Intel fan but being that it doesn't cool as well as I would like I have a few more fans in the case. Needless to say it sounds bad. Anyone know of a really good heat-sync/fan that cools really well and isn't too loud so I can quite this thing down some?

so the normal temp for the stock cooler is low 40s? Should it concern me that I'm idling anywhere from 45-50 with the stock cooler? I just ordered the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 last night, so hopefully I can bring this down... I ran prime95 and immediately the temps spiked to 75 and were quickly on the way up... I got scared, so I shut down my computer. What is be the ceiling temp I should look out for on the 750? I wasn't to comfortable with with letting my new i5 sit at 85 degrees...

Griffwill said:
so the normal temp for the stock cooler is low 40s? Should it concern me that I'm idling anywhere from 45-50 with the stock cooler? I just ordered the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 last night, so hopefully I can bring this down... I ran prime95 and immediately the temps spiked to 75 and were quickly on the way up... I got scared, so I shut down my computer. What is be the ceiling temp I should look out for on the 750? I wasn't to comfortable with with letting my new i5 sit at 85 degrees...

Make sure if using the UD2 DSDT that you remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuild kext caches- the only kexts you will need in /Extra/Extensions are the ones linked in my signature. Also, check out the speedstep DSDT if you haven't already. My temps are between 32-36 usually, and go up to 40 only occasionally. 75 is bad.

the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext is not in my /e/e folder and I'm pretty sure I have the Speedstep DSDT in right now. Is there any way to do a quick check to see if that is the right DSDT? I've followed the speedstep guide and have your latests UD2 DSDT installed and I've never idled below 45. Could this be because I have Memory Profile1 enabled in my BIOS? When i did this the first time it kicked my i5 up to 2.8GHz, but I brought it back to 2.6 with the BCLK and multiplier.

Griffwill said:
the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext is not in my /e/e folder and I'm pretty sure I have the Speedstep DSDT in right now. Is there any way to do a quick check to see if that is the right DSDT? I've followed the speedstep guide and have your latests UD2 DSDT installed and I've never idled below 45. Could this be because I have Memory Profile1 enabled in my BIOS? When i did this the first time it kicked my i5 up to 2.8GHz, but I brought it back to 2.6 with the BCLK and multiplier.

I don't mess with any of those settings- that's probably the issue- reset to Optimized Defaults and then set AHCI/HPET 64bit Then test temps.

I'll give it a try when I get the chance, my wife is working on it right now. Is your Mobo recognizing the full speed of your RAM (I have the exact same set)? This is the only way I can get my system to see the full speed of the RAM...

Griffwill said:
I'll give it a try when I get the chance, my wife is working on it right now. Is your Mobo recognizing the full speed of your RAM (I have the exact same set)? This is the only way I can get my system to see the full speed of the RAM...

Are you looking in System Profiler for RAM info? Post a screenshot of what you see. If you use any of the smbios.plists from MultiBeast with RC4, you'll get auto-memory recognition features. I see this:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-09 at 11.04.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-09 at 11.04.30 PM.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 105
I went back and took the XMP off and now I'm down to the mid 30s at idle. I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes, and got up to the low 70s. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but the RAM is rated 1600 MHz, not 1333 MHz. It works either way, just a small thing that bugs me. I also read your SpeedStep guide and it says not to over clock, what problems does over clocking cause with SpeedStep enabled?

Attachments

• Sys_pro.tiff
    150.6 KB · Views: 138
Griffwill said:
I went back and took the XMP off and now I'm down to the mid 30s at idle. I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes, and got up to the low 70s. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but the RAM is rated 1600 MHz, not 1333 MHz. It works either way, just a small thing that bugs me. I also read your SpeedStep guide and it says not to over clock, what problems does over clocking cause with SpeedStep enabled?

Well, not an overclocker myself, and also I just run the RAM at 1333 even though it's 1600. I don't have any use for the extra speed. well- I think low 70s is ok if you're trying to benchmark. I'd not stress test too much though- it's not necessary.

I guess it comes down to you can have more speed, or more power/heat savings. I prefer OS X's native power management and as vanilla as I can get with sleep enabled. You may prefer an overclocked machine with less features but more raw power. It's up to you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back