Contribute
Register

Advice for new build CustoMac Mini July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the help, I am pretty new too, my last build was more than 20 years ago when I was a kid to play FIFA lol. Do you think any of these two could solve trhe issue?...

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Mini-ITX DDR4 Motherboard GA-H170N-WIFI

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Mini-ITX DDR4 Motherboard GA-Z170N-WIFI

Well, I've never built a computer before... :D

As far as I know, all of the mini-ITX motherboards only have one PCIe slot. So, I think you would have to look at a micro-ATX if you wanted multiple. Did you check out Stork's post? You can make it work with one PCIe slot, you just have to do the wireless differently.

I would re-think the Zalman cooler. Personally, I prefer Noctua, but the i5 retail boxes usually come with an Intel heatsink & fan assembly.

You could save a little on the CPU, depending on shipping charges. http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/

If you have a Frys Electronics near you they have a WD 1TB/64MB cache "Blue" HDD for $49.99, on sale, $54.99 when not on sale.

The GA-H170N-WIFI uses horizontal SATA connectors so it could be a problem depending on the case. You'll probably need to install the cables before installing the mobo into the case. Then tie them down afterwards so that they are not strained. The last thing you want to do is to break a SATA connector. Be very gentle and cautious when installing cables.

The BitFenix case pictures on Amazon confuse me. The "empty" pictures show that a power supply installs under the mobo but the "full" pictures show the PSU mounted sideways. WTHeck?

Did you read all the case reviews?, starting from the negative and working your way up to the positives?

Have you considered an alternate case, like the Phanteks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8625HC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Unfortunately I don't have Frys close by, I live in NY but I really like the Phantek Case, the quality looks a lot superior to the BitFenix case, thanks a lot for the tip.

Well, I've never built a computer before... :D

As far as I know, all of the mini-ITX motherboards only have one PCIe slot. So, I think you would have to look at a micro-ATX if you wanted multiple. Did you check out Stork's post? You can make it work with one PCIe slot, you just have to do the wireless differently.
I checked it out, looks a little complicated, I guess I will have to read it with time and do more research and see how doable it is with my basic knowledge :thumbup:
Or buy an micro-ATX mobo and case and avoid the problem I guess...

Well, I've never built a computer before...

Building a Hackintosh isn't for the faint of heart nor the impatient, imo. It's a steep learning curve, but not insurmountable. What you may want to do, after you get your parts together (don't forget to get an anti-static wrist strap; watch a YouTube to show you how to properly use it) is to make two UniBeast sticks, one for non-UEFI and one for UEFI. (Hey, if you're going to play to learn, then you might as well learn the right way - so that if you make a mistake you don't get discouraged and can try a different method.) You could install it in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode and if, and when, you get everything working right, you can try the UEFI mode. Or you can jump right in into UEFI mode. UEFI is a steep learning curve in itself.

Don't bother using old USB sticks you have laying around the house. Buy two new USB 2.0 ones. Look at the back of the package - get the ones that come with a 5 year warranty. A lot of them will come with 2 year warranties, some won't even list it on the back. Stay away from the ones that don't even list a 2 year warranty right on the back. They're cheap. And if you so as much as drop 1 bit when you're doing your install it could very well cause the install to fail.

To increase your chances of a successful build you may want to stick to a motherboard with an Intel NIC, get the fastest possible CPU you can possibly afford, buy only memory in single kits. I usually suggest the max the mobo can hold, if only to future proof it and to resist the temptation to upgrade later on. If you're into video transcoding then you'll want the max, which on a Skylake 4 slot mobo is 64GB; if you're into gaming then 16GB is probably sufficient for the time being, but if running a 4K display is your ultimate goal then besides getting a 4G or 6G video card you'll probably want about 32G of RAM. It's not a hard and fast rule, I just suggest that you don't cheap out on the CPU, the RAM and the PSU. For instance, to be able to do Deep Sleep you will need an Haswell Certified PSU. If you're going to make a media centre box, HTPC, then you'll want the best CPU cooler and the quietest fans, and a mobo that has 5.1, 7.1, etc., sound with Optical Out, etc. Some will only consider a mobo that has Display Port 1.2 since it is able to do 4K @ 60HZ, depending on the CPU.

My usual advice is to research every mobo, mem stick, and PSU deeply - by reading user reviews at Newegg and Amazon, doing browser engine searches for the piece of equipment and adding the words "review" and "problems" to it; and if a search brings up a forum for that piece you will want to see what people are complaining about. When you read the reviews start at the bottom rated, the negative reviews, and work your way up. Look at the time posted because a firmware update could have fixed the problem. Since you have never built a PC you probably won't be able to tell what could possibly have been caused by user error. We all have made mistakes...

I usually suggest an ATX board that has at least 2 PCI-E slots, PCI-E X16 and PCI-E X4, no PCI slots, 4 RAM slots. In a micro-ATX I suggest 4 mem slots and space between the right mem fingers and a long video card. Some are too darn close for comfort... Some guys are committed to SSDs, so they may want more than one m.2 slot on their mobos. Some guys are gamers, so they may want two, three or four full length PCI-E slots to SLI video cards. Four full length video card slots are only available on X99 mobos.

Since you have never built a PC you could start by watching some You Tube videos. Just go to YouTube.com and in the search box type "How to build a PC".

Since you are thinking of going ITX, I suggest you install a single 2x16G RAM kit, and get a case where the PSU sits either above or below the mobo, and not directly where the PSU covers the CPU heat sink.

Don't think of just buying the mobo, though; think of it as a combo with the RAM. Some sizes and speeds are not available on certain mobos, so you may be limited to either 8G or 16G. It may not be a problem now, but at work I just installed Sierra on an iMac that can only have a max of 4G RAM. The more RAM you have the less possibility that you will be swapping to the SSD. And if you have enough RAm you can set up RAM disks to run applications in memory, which is faster than an SSD.

Building a Hackintosh isn't for the faint of heart nor the impatient, imo. It's a steep learning curve, but not insurmountable.

Thanks for the advice. I did not start this thread but did start one for my build, http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/first-build-ga-h170n-wifi-w-i7.198482/

I understand it not being for the faint of heart nor impatient. Though I have never built a computer, like I said, think I can do it for a variety of reasons; none being that it is easy.

What you may want to do, after you get your parts together (don't forget to get an anti-static wrist strap; watch a YouTube to show you how to properly use it) is to make two UniBeast sticks, one for non-UEFI and one for UEFI. (Hey, if you're going to play to learn, then you might as well learn the right way - so that if you make a mistake you don't get discouraged and can try a different method.) You could install it in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode and if, and when, you get everything working right, you can try the UEFI mode. Or you can jump right in into UEFI mode. UEFI is a steep learning curve in itself.

Thanks for this. I am playing to learn and I will probably have a few days before my WiFi stuff gets in so maybe while I am waiting I can play around some. Is there any worry of "bricking" the components?

To increase your chances of a successful build you may want to stick to a motherboard with an Intel NIC, get the fastest possible CPU you can possibly afford, buy only memory in single kits. I usually suggest the max the mobo can hold, if only to future proof it and to resist the temptation to upgrade later on. If you're into video transcoding then you'll want the max, which on a Skylake 4 slot mobo is 64GB; if you're into gaming then 16GB is probably sufficient for the time being, but if running a 4K display is your ultimate goal then besides getting a 4G or 6G video card you'll probably want about 32G of RAM. It's not a hard and fast rule, I just suggest that you don't cheap out on the CPU, the RAM and the PSU. For instance, to be able to do Deep Sleep you will need an Haswell Certified PSU. If you're going to make a media centre box, HTPC, then you'll want the best CPU cooler and the quietest fans, and a mobo that has 5.1, 7.1, etc., sound with Optical Out, etc. Some will only consider a mobo that has Display Port 1.2 since it is able to do 4K @ 60HZ, depending on the CPU.

If you're interested in what I ended up getting, check out my post I linked above. I was mostly interested in getting specs close to my MBP because it suits my needs well. My MBP has 8GB memory but went with 16GB for my build because I could see needing more if running multiple OS.

Since you are thinking of going ITX, I suggest you install a single 2x16G RAM kit, and get a case where the PSU sits either above or below the mobo, and not directly where the PSU covers the CPU heat sink.
The case I chose has the PSU directly under the mobo.

Really, thanks for the input.

I also suggest you buy an anti-static wrist band. There's plenty of instructions on how to use one, either written or on YouTube.

When handling RAM do not touch any chips, any etches, any gold pins. Just handle them through the heat spreader or along the slimmest sides (your fingers will spread about 4" between thumb and middle finger.)

If you do not have a anti-static wrist band you would "tinkle" a set of keys in your right hand, index finger through the key ring, while keeping your left arm firmly planted against the case; you would either jumper the memory package to the case before opening or you would hold it against the case to discharge any static.

Work on a nice big table top, the last thing you want to do is to drop RAM or the CPU on the floor. And it goes without saying that you should not be working on a carpet.

One consideration is whether or not you will be installing other OSes besides OSX. If you won't be installing other OSes then chances are you can use UEFI boot instead of Legacy boot. Once you commit to an initial OS, every subsequent/additional OS should be installed the same, either UEFI or CSM enabled (Legacy). Depending on the mobo devices sometimes CSM will allow an easier install. You'd have to look at what kext files and drivers are installed in either case in UniBeast.

For example, W7-32 doesn't support UEFI, so if you install Windows first (which you should) then CSM will be enabled to be able to install W7. Once it's on there then if you install OSX you may need to install it in UEFI-Legacy (CSM enabled). Since Clover bootloader works with UEFI devices you won't be able to use it to boot non-UEFI disks, you'll have to hit the BIOS "F" key to select what OS you want to boot. If you want to install W7 in UEFI you will need to buy the W7-64 bit edition.

[I had installed Windows 8.1 in Legacy, then I installed Linux in Legacy, so I had to install OSX in Legacy. Now that I have three OSes smoothly running it would be time consuming to re-do all three OSes in UEFI. I had all sorts of problems trying to get OSX UEFI running with the other two OSes being Legacy... ]

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/csm-good-bad-ugly.html

Don't be surprised if you end up installing OSX more than two times. It's a learning curve. Just know that you cannot re-do MultiBeast without doing a complete re-install. Once you install the OS you may need to install Clover Configurator and the latest Clover to circumvent having to re-install OSX. The biggest mistake most make is that after booting from USB the MultiBeast config.plist is written to the USB instead of the disc drive. Then they find that they can only boot from the USB stick. (I could be mistaken as to why, though.) You should declare where you want the MultiBeast files will be saved to.

The way I did it was to boot from USB, ran EFIMounter, double clicked the config.plist and wrote down what was and what wasn't enabled and what drivers were enabled. I then mounted the disc EFI partition, doubled clicked the config.plist file, which opened up Clover Configurator, ran the Magic Wand and I made sure that the same boxes were ticked on and the same drivers were enabled. [You will probably want to run the Magic Wand and then exit the Configurator. Power down, remove the USB stick, power up. If it boots fine you're half way there. If everything doesn't work right, but they do with the USB booted that's when you will want to compare what kexts and drivers are enabled and make sure that they get enabled in the Configurator before exiting.] When they get enabled Clover Configurator will download the correct driver and write it out to the disk immediately. When I exited, it automatically saved the files to the disc EFI partition. I then powered down, removed the USB stick and powered up the PC. Easy-peasy.

Audio should be set to "Built-in" and the display resolution should be set through Apple -> About this MAC -> Display. Hopefully the Clover Configurator Magic Wand will have automatically detected and installed the correct NIC driver.

After that it's time to play by changing the MAC ID in Clover Configurator. You would find the closest CPU ID to your actual speed and after changing see if everything works fine. If you run GeekBench you will probably see differences in speeds with different IDs.

Last edited:
I also suggest you buy an anti-static wrist band.

Just ordered one, it should be in tomorrow.

One consideration is whether or not you will be installing other OSes besides OSX. If you won't be installing other OSes then chances are you can use UEFI boot instead of Legacy boot. Once you commit to an initial OS, every subsequent/additional OS should be installed the same, either UEFI or CSM enabled (Legacy). Depending on the mobo devices sometimes CSM will allow an easier install. You'd have to look at what kext files and drivers are installed in either case in UniBeast.

I plan on installing other OSes besides OSX, but they will be on separate drives. If I am using separate drives, does every additional OS still have to be installed the same way?

Don't be surprised if you end up installing OSX more than two times. It's a learning curve. Just know that you cannot re-do MultiBeast without doing a complete re-install. Once you install the OS you may need to install Clover Configurator and the latest Clover to circumvent having to re-install OSX. The biggest mistake most make is that after booting from USB the MultiBeast config.plist is written to the USB instead of the disc drive. Then they find that they can only boot from the USB stick. (I could be mistaken as to why, though.) You should declare where you want the MultiBeast files will be saved to.

How would Clover circumvent having to re-install OSX?

I plan on installing other OSes besides OSX, but they will be on separate drives. If I am using separate drives, does every additional OS still have to be installed the same way?

If you install Windows in Legacy then every OS after that should be installed in Legacy. If you install Windows in UEFI then every subsequent OS should be installed in UEFI. A major difference will be that with Legacy each drive can have its own boot loader, using the boot F key to select the OS you want to boot into. (I don't know if the same can be done with UEFI.) With UEFI the EFI boot loader will get updated with each subsequent boot loader. See the Multi-Boot section. It isn't that hard if you decide to just use Clover as your boot loader.

How would Clover [Configurator] circumvent having to re-install OSX?

If everything doesn't work right you will be tempted to re-run MultiBeast. I believe to re-run MultiBeast you have to re-install OSX from scratch. If you download Clover Configurator then you can do the same things you can with MultiBeast, selecting the Customization button. The whole idea behind MultiBeast is that it is the easiest method to get a bootable system. After that fine tuning can be done, kests can be added (say for Deep Sleep, audio, NIC, etc.)

6. Run one of the custom Clover installers. UEFI Boot Mode (Clover_v2.3k_r3320_UEFI.pkg) is recommended for 7/8/9+ Series CustoMac desktops and all UEFI capable systems. Legacy Boot Mode (Clover_v2.3k_r3320_Legacy.pkg) is recommended for 5/6 Series CustoMac desktops and all BIOS based systems. Legacy Boot Mode - Root (Clover_v2.3k_r3320_Legacy_Root.pkg) is for older systems that cannot boot from EFI partition. For further bootloader customization, download and run the official Clover package. For further bootloader customization, download and run the official Clover package.
7. Run CustoMac Essentials to install FakeSMC and Ethernet support.

The next steps configure the system definition, configure graphics, and provide it with a unique serial number.

8. Download and open Clover Configurator
9. Your config.plist should auto-mount. If not, choose Mount EFI Partition.
10. Select SMBIOS tab
11. Press Magic Wand Icon
12. Choose a System Definition from the list. Then choose a version of the system from the dropdown. This will auto-populate your config.plist with appropriate SMBIOS information including a unique serial number. If you're unsure what to choose, Mac Pro 3,1 will work for most desktop systems.
14. (Optional) If you configured graphics [from] the UniBeast installation, open Graphics tab and select Inject NVIDIA or Inject ATI.
15. Save and close Clover Configurator.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...orted-intel-based-pc.172672/#alt_post_install

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...supported-intel-based-pc.172672/#post_install starting at Step 5.

You need to have your manual handy, looking at the specs. For example, if your mobo says it has ALC1150, then that is what you enable in the Post Installation MultiBeast section.

As noobs we don't know what we should and shouldn't enable. That's where we all get into trouble. http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-know-what-to-install-with-multibeast.104490/

The two most common problems after an install is 1] The disc drive doesn't boot and 2] video. Once you can get it to boot from the disc you're half way there, once you get the video problems sorted out, you're another half way there. Then it's a matter of making sure that you can connect to the Web and get sound. That last 1% is going to be the hardest, getting Deep Sleep to work, for example, being able to do updates without anything breaking, getting all the USB ports to work correctly, etc.

When I ran Multi beast I worked my way across the top, Quick Start. then Drivers, then Bootloader, then Customize, then Build. At the Build tab I selected the disc drive to save to, then I hit the Install button on the bottom. (I must have printed the instructions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...supported-intel-based-pc.172672/#post_install at least 6 times. :D )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back