Contribute
Register

9800 GT Crazy Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
The updated nvidia drivers made my GTX 285 almost silent. Some of it is a drivers issue...maybe try the latest nvidia drivers...

nonagon said:
After lots of searching and experimenting, I've successfully eliminated the squealing sound!

On my system, there were two things that fixed it:

1) Disabling all CPU power saving options in BIOS (all C-states). This increased my CPU temperatures at idle and disabled Turbo, but eliminated the noise completely.

2) Undervolting the CPU. This is where I'm at now, and I'm very pleased with the results. Based on some users' experiences in another forum (non-Hackintosh related), I set my CPU core voltage to 1.1V in BIOS. At this setting, I'm able to run with all CPU features enabled and zero noise![/u]

I've come to believe that the loud sound I was hearing might not have been from the GPU at all- it might have been coming from the motherboard. Other users were able to eliminate the sound by upgrading their power supplies, or undervolting their CPUs. I find it quite odd that this would be necessary since I'm running an i7-860 (95W TDP), an "energy efficient" video card (~75W max) and one HD with an OCZ 500W power supply, but there you have it. I'll need to do some more experimenting to find the edge between squeal and no-squeal in BIOS settings, but I'm pretty pleased with my current setup now!

In short, if you're suffering from this problem, try setting your CPU voltage to something < 1.2V in BIOS and see how you do.

Thank you Friend!!!
You are best, I hvnt noise anymore!))

My config 1:1 the same of this: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -2010.html - 1 moment: another video, not Ati, but GTS250... and I haven't noise anyway :)

Thank you again!))) My hackpro, like a license today!)))

theRauf said:
nonagon said:
After lots of searching and experimenting, I've successfully eliminated the squealing sound!

On my system, there were two things that fixed it:

1) Disabling all CPU power saving options in BIOS (all C-states). This increased my CPU temperatures at idle and disabled Turbo, but eliminated the noise completely.

2) Undervolting the CPU. This is where I'm at now, and I'm very pleased with the results. Based on some users' experiences in another forum (non-Hackintosh related), I set my CPU core voltage to 1.1V in BIOS. At this setting, I'm able to run with all CPU features enabled and zero noise![/u]

I've come to believe that the loud sound I was hearing might not have been from the GPU at all- it might have been coming from the motherboard. Other users were able to eliminate the sound by upgrading their power supplies, or undervolting their CPUs. I find it quite odd that this would be necessary since I'm running an i7-860 (95W TDP), an "energy efficient" video card (~75W max) and one HD with an OCZ 500W power supply, but there you have it. I'll need to do some more experimenting to find the edge between squeal and no-squeal in BIOS settings, but I'm pretty pleased with my current setup now!

In short, if you're suffering from this problem, try setting your CPU voltage to something < 1.2V in BIOS and see how you do.

Thank you Friend!!!
You are best, I hvnt noise anymore!))

My config 1:1 the same of this: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -2010.html - 1 moment: another video, not Ati, but GTS250... and I haven't noise anyway :)

Thank you again!))) My hackpro, like a license today!)))

the problem of noise, back again.. =(
when I starting system case, I have some attention of bios - when display is up and goes to main screen... (when check memory, bios firmware, cpu model... energy star.. etc..)

:( and bios return all settings before attention... and I must set voltage under 1.2(1.255) again.. :(

ps/ sorry for my english, it's not my native language..

Just to share that I've been having this problem with a pair of GT 220s on different systems (i7 860 + P55-UD3R & i5 760 + H55M USB3). Both machines have a corsair 550W PSU.

Anyway, no guarantees that this is the ultimate fix but at least for now I've mostly made the noises go away with a simple switch in the BIOS on both machines.

First, I've set load line calibration (which manages VDroop).

Second, I've manually set the voltages for both chips to what the system tells me vcore is on a cold boot. That's something like 1.14 for the i7 860 and 1.17 for the i5 760. I've also explicitly set all the CPU features -- include EIST, C1, ETC to "enabled" not just auto.

I can't say for sure which one of these changes (LLC or manually setting the voltages) was more important though intuitively they seem related. However, intuitive is not the same as reality...

On a side note, I came across these changes mostly by accident because I was overclocking the i5 760 machine and looking to cool temperatures by undervolting. My overclock is not very aggressive -- but it appears stable at 3.36GHz. Basically, I just set the memory profile to Profile1 which upped the clock rate to 160Hz and then I upped the multiplier to the max. My Geekbench score went from 6600 to 8000 and I've been running the Prime95 torture test on all 4 cores without hiccup for 18 hours now.

Temps are a tad high -- 73ish per core -- but the case doesn't have optimal airflow for an overclock -- and it appears stable so I'm cool with that, even if it shaves a bit off the lifespan of the rig. (It's a silverstone gd04 HTPC case and I'm using a scythe shuriken cooler. There's about a 6mm clearance between the bottom of the optical drive and nearly half of the cooler fan, which really isn't ideal, though there are two 120mm fans blowing air into the CPU chamber with an 80mm exhaust fan.)

Thankyou everybody for sharing your experiences with the buzzing noise associated with NVIDIA 9800GT's and related cards and possible fixes.

I too suffered from this problem with my hackintosh build (see sig for details). I tried different PSU's (Corsair HX-620 and HX-650), RMA'ed my GFX card and used NVEnabler.kext with no success.

After reading through this thread I tried disabling Turbo Boost and Power States in BIOS - this reduced the buzzing sound but did not eliminate it altogether. I then set VCore to 1.1V Manually in BIOS - and SILENCE greeted me at last. I then tried setting power saving features to [Enabled] rather than [Auto] but the sound returned.

I hope my experiences help others to avoid this problem. Finally I have a perfect Hackintosh.

There is no any meaning to set VCore's value different than default (produced by 'Auto' option), according to my experience. Its just enough to set it manually: my VCore was 1,275V via auto and I changed it from Auto to Manual with the same value of 1.275V. Buzzing disappeared.
Buzzing also disappears after disabling NVEnabler, so somehow its GPU depending too I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back