GeForce 9800
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey,

I just built a system with a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 and an EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512. I'm getting the high pitched sound coming from my graphics card when I move my mouse or during any kind of animations on screen. Currently I'm using GraphicsEnable=Yes, but I've tried NVEnabler and pure DSDT fixes and none of those 3 ways have gotten rid of the sound.

The only time the sound goes away is if I'm running Kext Utility to repair caches. For some reason while that is processing the sound completely goes away and comes back as soon as it completes.

Does anyone have any insights to this? I noticed on another thread the symptoms where there but no clear solution.

Thanks!
SD

Strange! Have you ran the card in Windows?
I'd RMA it and hope for maybe getting something even better back.

Ok I resolved this. I used NVEnabler, but I also had to swap my DVI cable to the other port on my card. Now everything is silent.

I'm glad you figured it out, but that is SO weird. Did the port closest to or away from the motherboard give you the noise?

sd273 said:
Ok I resolved this. I used NVEnabler, but I also had to swap my DVI cable to the other port on my card. Now everything is silent.

My machine is identical to yours and I'm getting the same noise. What is your memory running at? I have 1333 dual channel DDR3 showing as 667 DDR2.

I'm not sure if this is related to your problems, but someone at this thread

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=621&start=30

suggested that problems related to DVI-output, e.g. for HDCP (blu-ray/HDMI related info) was solved when the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext was disabled.
This was primarily for Video-playback problems, but could help yours too.

here's the quote:
I'm not sure if you have already tried this, because I did not read the 2 page of the thread, but try to install this kext. It know it works out stuttering problems on my EVGA 9800 GT 1GB, but it will most likely work for your card too. The kext disables AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext which is meant for HDCP.

good luck, ninetto

In response to sd273:

Please can you clarify:
"Ok I resolved this. I used NVEnabler, but I also had to swap my DVI cable to the other port on my card. Now everything is silent."

I have the same problem. Can you give me a step by step breakdown of where to find NVEnabler and how to install it?

Thanks

Steve

Hi guys, i also have 9800GT and i'm using chameleon's autodetect. No problem here. :)

I have an EVGA 9800 GT 1GB and I am using GraphicsEnabler=Yes. My mouse and cursor movement is silent except for in a couple circumstances moving OpenGL based widgets in a modeling program. I get a soft scratching noise, barely noticeable, but a little annoying. It does not do it with anything else.

Glxgears works, bouncing dock applications works, and I am running very hardcore opensource OpenGL dependent stuff, so I know the drivers are "working"....

But the noise is likely the fan (there are no other moving parts to my knowledge). I might RMA it at some point (bought through Amazon) so should be easy.

Does anyone get it in Windows(I don't have Windows) or in other situations?

Being it seemed to happen for Steve before he had his OpenGL working(based on what he is saying), I think it is a subtle driver/OpenGL issue, but I could be wrong. For me it is less than the CPU fan noise and I only barely hear it, but I do hear it.

I might try a DSDT edit for graphics card at some point just to see...

UPDATE:
I asked EVGA and they said:
"I'd recommend sending it back in, simply because scratching noises are generally signs that the bearing on the card is going out.

Regards,
EVGA Support"

I have a similar setup to you all, and am experiencing the squealing noise as well. I can confirm that it's not related to the fan, though- I recently replaced my stock PNY 9800 GT 1GB heatsink with a passive Arctic S1, and am still getting the sound.

For me it seems to be related to processor load somehow... I've read similar reports from others with i7s elsewhere on the web. Anybody have any more thoughts on what's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back