Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my UP2715K works fine at 5k with 10.12.1.
When I boot, I can leave it on, as long as I power cycle once I get at login screen (the system detects it as two different monitor before I switch it off and on).
The only issue is with sleep. If I switch off the monitor BEFORE putting the system to sleep (via keystroke), it wakes up fine. If the system goes to sleep while the monitor is on, it reboots when trying to wake up.

A few notes on my setup (hardware in signature):
I set nvda_drv=1 nv_spanmodepolicy=1 via Clover Configurator. I tried to add them directly in NVRAM but I got an error. I'm not sure if it depends on the emulated NVRAM I had to install (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ problem 6) or SIP enabled (I haven't tried to disable it yet).

Thanks!
You must have SIP disabled or else the NVRAM emulation cannot store its settings to disk. AKA it won't work.

You must have SIP disabled or else the NVRAM emulation cannot store its settings to disk. AKA it won't work.
Thank you, I disabled SIP and managed to write in NVRAM nv_spanmodepolicy=1. However, the value doesn't stick after a reboot (nvda_drv=1 is there). I haven't tried to install RC scripts yet, it might be the next try.

However, I do manage to get 5k with the appropriate flags in Clover config, I'm just trying to add the flags directly in NVRAM to see if I can fix my "reboot at wake" issue, which doesn't seem a very popular issue here...

Actually, is there anybody in this forum with Sierra, 100 series board, Dell UP2715K at 5K and functional sleep?

Thank you, I disabled SIP and managed to write in NVRAM nv_spanmodepolicy=1. However, the value doesn't stick after a reboot (nvda_drv=1 is there). I haven't tried to install RC scripts yet, it might be the next try.

However, I do manage to get 5k with the appropriate flags in Clover config, I'm just trying to add the flags directly in NVRAM to see if I can fix my "reboot at wake" issue, which doesn't seem a very popular issue here...

Actually, is there anybody in this forum with Sierra, 100 series board, Dell UP2715K at 5K and functional sleep?
rc-scripts is what writes and loads the NVRAM variables from disk on startup. So if you don't install clover with that, NVRAM will, again, not work. :)

Sleep/wake seems to work fine for me, but I had to do some jiggering first. Try darkwake=0 or darkwake=8.

rc-scripts is what writes and loads the NVRAM variables from disk on startup. So if you don't install clover with that, NVRAM will, again, not work. :)

Sleep/wake seems to work fine for me, but I had to do some jiggering first. Try darkwake=0 or darkwake=8.

Thanks a lot, unfortunately I'll be away from my hackintosh for a few days and I can't try with these settings straight away ;-)!

@marcomk I see that I have moreless the same config as you but I'm still struggling to have 5K working with my UP2715K. Would you mind sharing your config.plist? So I could compare files and see where I did something wrong.

Thx.

@marcomk I see that I have moreless the same config as you but I'm still struggling to have 5K working with my UP2715K. Would you mind sharing your config.plist? So I could compare files and see where I did something wrong.

Unfortunately I'm away for a few days and I can't get my config right now... However, it seems you didn't get 4k yet, so my advise is to get the 4k first, then focus on 5k.

I think this is a pretty good guide for your config:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-skylake-gigabyte-gtx-970-imac-14-2.206173/

After you install your drivers with Multibeast and Nvidia Web Drivers (Step 9, 6), you may need to install Emulated NVRAM to make your Nvidia Web Drivers work. Instrucions are here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/, Problem 6.

4k is achieved by connecting the mini Display Port on the UP2715K to any DP on your nvidia card. Select the appropriate input with the monitor menu. This should be enough for 4K, sleep should work fine as well.

Do you manage to get up to here?

I managed to get 4K with the mini DP but I'm still stuck when trying to get 5K :-/ Will check again my install based on the other config you pointed.

Thanks for your help.

Ok. One way to get 5k is to download Clover Configurator, mount EFI, browse up to config.plist, open it with Clover Configurator, tick nv_spanmodepolicy=1 and nvda_drv=1 (don't know if you need this one actually), save in the bottom left part of the pane.
Otherwise you can manually edit config.plist with an editor.

This way I get 5K BUT I'm experiencing a "reboot after wake" issue which I don't have with 4K. You may have it or not...

Success! It didn't work right away: I wasn't getting any better than 4k the first day I tried it. Getting the correct two ports on my GTX 960 was definitely a part of it. But with nv_spanmodepolicy=1 enabled, letting the computer boot all the way before turning on the monitor, and no other monitor connected, I have full resolution at 60Hz! Sleep works perfectly...

Did you have to install EmuVariableUefi-64 and RC scripts on your motherboard?
I'm still struggling with reboots after wake from sleep, so I'm wondering if it depends on some issue related to em NVRAM

Did you have to install EmuVariableUefi-64 and RC scripts on your motherboard?
I'm still struggling with reboots after wake from sleep, so I'm wondering if it depends on some issue related to em NVRAM
No, I'm pretty sure I never did that, it doesn't sound familiar at all. Certainly I didn't have to do it for this monitor specifically. I can check if there's something specific to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back