Contribute
Register

5K Resolution (5120x2880) via NVIDIA Drivers on Dell UltraSharp 27" Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success! It didn't work right away: I wasn't getting any better than 4k the first day I tried it. Getting the correct two ports on my GTX 960 was definitely a part of it. But with nv_spanmodepolicy=1 enabled, letting the computer boot all the way before turning on the monitor, and no other monitor connected, I have full resolution at 60Hz! Sleep works perfectly, though it does seem to require a mouseclick now (before this monitor it required a keystroke). Odd, but I can definitely live with that.

System profile is Late 2012 imac, 13,2 I believe. OS X 10.11.5. I honestly didn't expect to get 5k working on this profile since Apple says it isn't supported for these older Ivy Bridge machines...thank you nvidia for the drivers :)

I should add: oh, how I missed Dell wide gamut oranges, yellows, and reds. Even my reference-grade wide gamut NEC couldn't compare.

Sleep works perfectly, though it does seem to require a mouseclick now (before this monitor it required a keystroke).

Do you have the same keystroke/mouseclick issue when using this monitor in 4K only?

What are the mouse and keyboard connected to? Is it a problem with them connected to the monitor? Does the problem change if you connect them to the computer?

Do you have the same keystroke/mouseclick issue when using this monitor in 4K only?

What are the mouse and keyboard connected to? Is it a problem with them connected to the monitor? Does the problem change if you connect them to the computer?

I tested it again and it does wake up from just keyboard. I was previously too impatient due to the monitor's longish wakeup time, and started clicking the mouse just before it came on :|

I tested it again and it does wake up from just keyboard. I was previously too impatient due to the monitor's longish wakeup time, and started clicking the mouse just before it came on :|
Are you able to boot at least with another one monitor on from the beginning of Bios?

Hi I have the same screen with GTX980ti but I'm struggling to have the 5K (or even 4K) working on the UltraSharp 27" since couple of days. I installed the latest web drivers but I'm pretty new to clover and I'm not sure how am I supposed to use the mentionned flags in my config.plist

Below the config I changed, is that correct?

Code:
<key>Boot</key>
    <dict>       
        <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>nv_spanmodepolicy=1,nvda_drv=1</string>

I was able to access BIOS using just the Dell, but there was a catch. The monitor was still warming up during the "press del to access BIOS stage", so I had to guess at the timing of when to press it. No problems once in BIOS though.

sebnunes:
Not an expert but it looks like you're missing an <Arguments> field. Maybe change the commas to spaces too. Here's a snip of mine for reference:

Code:
<key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
       <key>Arguments</key>
       <string>nvda_drv=1 nv_spanmodepolicy=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>
       <key>Debug</key>
       <false/>
       <key>DefaultLoader</key>
       <string>boot.efi</string>
       <key>DefaultVolume</key>
       <string>boots</string>
       <key>Legacy</key>
       <string>PBR</string>
       <key>Secure</key>
       <false/>
       <key>Timeout</key>
       <integer>12</integer>
       <key>XMPDetection</key>
       <true/>
   </dict>

Thanks for your answer!

I fixed the flags using Clover Config but I still don't have 5K resolution.

I'll try to install Windows on a separate SSD to see if I can get 5K on windows first.

Hi I have the same screen with GTX980ti but I'm struggling to have the 5K (or even 4K) working on the UltraSharp 27" since couple of days.

I fixed the flags using Clover Config but I still don't have 5K resolution.
I'll try to install Windows on a separate SSD to see if I can get 5K on windows first.

If you can't get 4K working then you have bigger problems to solve since that should have no issues at all. Are you sure the Nvidia driver is even loaded and working? Check kextstat, System Profiler, IORegistryExplorer. Run a 3D program to check performance. What resolution do you get? Maybe rebuild the kernel cache.

Hi, my UP2715K works fine at 5k with 10.12.1.
When I boot, I can leave it on, as long as I power cycle once I get at login screen (the system detects it as two different monitor before I switch it off and on).
The only issue is with sleep. If I switch off the monitor BEFORE putting the system to sleep (via keystroke), it wakes up fine. If the system goes to sleep while the monitor is on, it reboots when trying to wake up.

A few notes on my setup (hardware in signature):
I set nvda_drv=1 nv_spanmodepolicy=1 via Clover Configurator. I tried to add them directly in NVRAM but I got an error. I'm not sure if it depends on the emulated NVRAM I had to install (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ problem 6) or SIP enabled (I haven't tried to disable it yet).

Thanks!

If you can't get 4K working then you have bigger problems to solve since that should have no issues at all. Are you sure the Nvidia driver is even loaded and working? Check kextstat, System Profiler, IORegistryExplorer. Run a 3D program to check performance. What resolution do you get? Maybe rebuild the kernel cache.

Thanks for your answer! I'm still struggling. I recently installed Sierra 10.12.12 and then updated the NVidia web drivers to 367.15.10.25f01 but I still have the issue on the UP2715K. The max resolution I can get is 2560x1440. The Web Drivers seems loaded & working (see attachments).

In the meantime I installed Windows on a separate disk and I have no problem using 5K with the screen so the graphic card is working properly.

When you say check kextsat, system profiler & IORegistryExplorer, what should I check exactly? Sorry I'm pretty new to custo mac.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 20.54.26.png Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 20.54.31.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back