Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got enough framework done to stand the logic board up. Right now it is just zip tied to the frame. I need to come up with some long bolts that will fit into the rails of the MakerBeams. I have some extra fan bolts that I can file the heads down I think.

I went back and forth thinking that OpenBeam would be better for this. Then found out it is 15mm by 15mm. I just don't have the room for it. MakerBeam is 10mm by 10mm, and there will just barely be enough room for the GPU card behind the logic board, and the beams on either side of it.

Using #6 self tapping screws up the side of the MakerBeam works great. Just have to account for the holes in the plates not being on the centerline of the beams.

Originally I wanted to have the logic board mounted directly to the beams, but that won't work because the GPU will get in the way. So, the logic board is mounted to a couple cross plates, and those plates will be attached to the beams.

It needs to be disassembled though. The flipped over PSU fan occasionally hits something inside. I think there might be a wire in the way. All the screw holes for the plates need to be countersunk so the screws at the top are level.

Installed Windows 8.1 and ran a few short tests. It is super quiet. I need to run prime95 for a few hours to really warm it up.

StandingUp.JPGDrillingPlates.JPG

Hey,
do you really want to use the flex cable set? I think it would look cleaner, if you use the original cables instead. But apart from that your build is not bad :clap::clap:

Looking good, keep up the the good work.

Thanks for the support, from all of you.

Had to modify some bolts to use for logic board support. Luckily, the extra long screws that came with the AXP-100 fan are nearly perfect. Just a little grinding and they fit the V-slot rails.

BoltGrind.JPG

Hey,
do you really want to use the flex cable set? I think it would look cleaner, if you use the original cables instead. But apart from that your build is not bad :clap::clap:

The problem I was having with the original cables is they are really hard to bend, and I think when it comes time to close up the case, getting rid of the excess would be really tough.

Test fit of the GPU. I think its going to fit!

GPUTestFit.JPG

The nylon ties are gone and now the final brackets are holding everything up.

MoboBrackets.JPG

Test fit of the GPU. I think its going to fit!

You will mount the GPU upside-down ? How do you get the card connect to the 90° rotated PCI-E slot of the mainboard ?

You will mount the GPU upside-down ? How do you get the card connect to the 90° rotated PCI-E slot of the mainboard ?

You can almost make out the cable that the card is plugged into in the picture. With some creative folding, I should be able to make it back to the socket on the logic board. The cable will run between the back of the logic board and the back of the GPU.

I did some basic tests under Windows 8.1 and I'm liking the results so far.

Geekbench 13500

Unigine 4, Extreme setting, FPS 39.6, Score 999.

Are you going to cut a hold in the side of the case so your io board can show?

Are you going to cut a hold in the side of the case so your io board can show?

Yes. I can't cut the hole until I'm sure I am done moving the logic board around. I think I have it in the final spot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back