1. eMac
  2. LC
  3. Performa
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This one's a bit unusual... It might have something to with how I connect to network now, temporarily, but might also be something else. I recently dropped my network provider and haven't decided on a new one yet so I've been connecting to my work iPhone's network through Bluetooth / straight USB connection. It gives nice download speeds of about 100Mb. (Yep, not nice for battery for long periods but it's a work phone with battery already bad and needing replacement.) Because of this connection type my Hack wifi is not available (greyed out).

I'm on Sonoma 14.1.1 at the moment. Initially I had a problem with os updates not showing up but fixed that with the revpatch argument. Then when I tried to update to 14.3 it just couldn't finish downloading the update (can't remember the error message if any). Solved this by downloading the whole update and the install app of 14GB is in the apps folder. It went through the first cycle of restarts but instead of the second one booted back into main disk. This happened on every try. I then manually picked the installer disk in OC but it showed the forbidden sign with just the words "support.apple.com/mac/startup". Luckily it switched to the main disk and no damaging alterations have been made.

According to the address above it says:

mac_startup_problem.jpg

I'm not sure what to do. Using disk repair in this situation feels a bit worrying. Or should I just wait until I've got a new ethernet connection and see if that fixes it?

Thanks for any advice or if you've experienced similar and can help!

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 07.32.49.png

May indicate that your chosen system definition is not supported by the OS version that you are attempting to install.

View attachment 582022

May indicate that your chosen system definition is not supported by the OS version that you are attempting to install.
Thanks for answering! But would that be possible since this earlier version of Sonoma is doing ok? According to Apple's approved devices list, iMac Pro 2017 should be fine. Anyway, I may try a regular iMac definition — in your opinion, with my specs, which of them would be best bet? Graphics decoding and encoding would be running ok?

Thanks for answering! But would that be possible since this earlier version of Sonoma is doing ok? According to Apple's approved devices list, iMac Pro 2017 should be fine. Anyway, I may try a regular iMac definition — in your opinion, with my specs, which of them would be best bet? Graphics decoding and encoding would be running ok?
Hello,
Your CPU. i7-9700K, is Intel's 9th Gen, i.e. Coffee Lake. So you may use SMBIOS iMac19,1 and run Sonoma now.
Configure your iGPU as "headless" and get the video signal from dGPU's Displayport.

=====

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are usefull for iGPU-less environments (not your case as the CPU has "Intel UHD Graphics 630").

Also, iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are compatible with Sonoma macOS.

Cheers :)

Hello,
Your CPU. i7-9700K, is Intel's 9th Gen, i.e. Coffee Lake. So you may use SMBIOS iMac19,1 and run Sonoma now.
Configure your iGPU as "headless" and get the video signal from dGPU's Displayport.

=====

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are usefull for iGPU-less environments (not your case as the CPU has "Intel UHD Graphics 630").

Also, iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are compatible with Sonoma macOS.

Thanks! I did use the iGPU sometime earlier but with some macOS iteration there were problems and ever since I've been a little hesitant to do that anymore. Might as well try. :)

Thanks! I did use the iGPU sometime earlier but with some macOS iteration there were problems and ever since I've been a little hesitant to do that anymore. Might as well try. :)
Well .... it is very easy to test.

Prepare a bootable USB 2.0 stick with Sonoma.
Get a proper EFi folder for your hardware and setup SMBIOS to iMac19,1 (use genSMBIOS to generate proper serials). Put this EFI on the USB stick.
Boot your system, press the key to get the PC's boot menu. At PC's boot menu choose the (UEFI) USB stick.
At picker menu choose your storage.
Access your system's storage in read only mode.
See what's happening ...

After some tests, you may save the old storage's EFI folder and replace it with the new one (created above).

Back