CPU
Intel i7 7700k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So my last big question before I actually buy all my stuff is... what motherboard?

Z77X-UP5-TH
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4279#ov
Pros:
+ x2 Thunderbolt support
+ Potential 4k monitor support for the future
+ Cheaper
+ Far better support within the hackintosh community

Cons:
+ Not as many SATA ports as I would like/need
+ Less PCI-E slots than I would like/need

P8Z77-V Premium [*FIX*]
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/
Pros:
+ All the SATA ports I need
+ All the PCI-E ports I need
+ I've only ever used Asus and trust them
+ Better build quality (may just be my opinion though)

Cons:
+ Expensive (not too much of an issue)
+ Very little support and only a few success stories around
+ Thunderbolt port only known to work as a standard Mini-Display port

To my knowledge all my parts are compatible and have been known to work on various different builds. My concern is this is my first time building a hackintosh and while I prefer the Asus board (as it technically offers everything I want)... if I run into problems, I might be in trouble.

What would you do?

I'll be doing video editing, but not enough to warrant a x79 mobo or 2011 CPU. I will be overclocking. I'm not a massive gamer, so not too concerned about that aspect. I do plan on having 3 monitors in the future.

Quick shopping-list, incase it helps:
i7-3770k || Gigabyte GTX670 || 32gb Corsair Vengeance RAM || DIY "Real" Airport Card || 2x Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD's (OSX & Windows 8) || Corsair H100i || Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000w || Plus extras that I know are 100% compatible... including plenty of fans and good airflow.

Detailed shopping-list, for the enthusiasts:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/w...y&layout=standard&x=10&y=10&tag=tonymacx86-21

I think you should be fine with the P8Z77-V Deluxe (I take it that's the one you prefer). The ASUS board should work just fine. The only thing you'll have to do is flash a modded BIOS that'll unlock power management for your CPU. See this thread for more details on that procedure. It should be totally painless. I don't know how well thunderbolt will work though. You'll have to search around.

Interesting choice on the airport. As long as it's mini PCI-e, it should work.

Please bump down your PSU. You should only need 800W max with that build.

Thanks sonicseamus, I've got that modded BIOS thread ready in my favourites for when I get my stuff.

Thunderbolt isn't overly important right now, but would just be a nice thing to have given it's current popularity (and future proof-ness).

Before I did all my research properly, I had it in my mind I would have the 3930K cpu, 64gb ram, 2x sli GTX680 cards, 8x HDD's, and so on. So a few weeks ago, I decided to buy parts I "knew" can't be out dated like most tech does so quickly. I got the 1000w PSU and now I don't need it with my more "sensible" build.

So I either sell it, or put up with it. There are no negative affects of having an over-powered PSU is there? It's all controlled to only use whats needed, right?

there is a downside to using a overkill psu such as the one you have- efficiency.

the P8Z77-V DELUXE doesnt have a thunderbolt port, are you mixing it up with another model?

i would disagree with the 'far better support' thing.
there is a strong asus (and msi/asrock/intel) userbase on this forum. on this forum, gigabyte are more prevalent generally, but imo that isnt a sign that the 'support' is better. it just means more people took someone elses advise, and bought what was advised (the customac list, user comments etc).
if you look at other forums, the spread of boards used differs. eg. you will find that on some forums, asus is preferred, or on another msi is preferred. generally though, ive noticed that on other forums, brand isnt really seen as an issue.
you also have to look at the quality of the comments posted by that 'more support'. someone whos just built their first hack, following a set out guide without deviating much might say 'get a gigabyte, they are much more compatible', but id rather follow the comments from someone like going bald or kduvernay etc who have experience of using multiple brands, and are more likely to give a balanced and reasoned viewpoint.

as to the actual question of the thread, well i personally dont use TB, and i prefer asus over gigabyte generally, so id choose the asus.
either will work just as well as each other when it comes down to it, so flip a coin or something

there is a downside to using a overkill psu such as the one you have- efficiency.

the P8Z77-V DELUXE doesnt have a thunderbolt port, are you mixing it up with another model?

i would disagree with the 'far better support' thing.
there is a strong asus (and msi/asrock/intel) userbase on this forum. on this forum, gigabyte are more prevalent generally, but imo that isnt a sign that the 'support' is better. it just means more people took someone elses advise, and bought what was advised (the customac list, user comments etc).
if you look at other forums, the spread of boards used differs. eg. you will find that on some forums, asus is preferred, or on another msi is preferred. generally though, ive noticed that on other forums, brand isnt really seen as an issue.
you also have to look at the quality of the comments posted by that 'more support'. someone whos just built their first hack, following a set out guide without deviating much might say 'get a gigabyte, they are much more compatible', but id rather follow the comments from someone like going bald or kduvernay etc who have experience of using multiple brands, and are more likely to give a balanced and reasoned viewpoint.

as to the actual question of the thread, well i personally dont use TB, and i prefer asus over gigabyte generally, so id choose the asus.
either will work just as well as each other when it comes down to it, so flip a coin or something

samisnake i want to ask you sth. i was thinking about a build on asus p8z77-v pro but digging on forum i couldnt find suitable information on this board and i have tp give up my choice and change it with ud5h 'cause of popularity in forum and compability with osx.

can u say that if asus's board p8z77-v pro is as compatible as ud5h or not?

yes it is

if you cant find any info on that particular board, look at a similar board. the info will be relevant, as the boards are all pretty much the same

i havent been sure about its compability and i think i should prefer a gigabyte board that most of the users have build their successful system on.

i m between two of them so the question will be
UD5H or Up5-Th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back