gt 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time with my new Hackintosh. My kernel is freaking out and I have no idea why. Maybe someone here encountered the same problem before. My setup:

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H (F14)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (1600 MHz, 4x 4GB) DDR3-RAM Kit
CPU: i7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte GT640 (GV-N640OC-2GI)
SSD: Samsung 128GB SSD (MZ-7PC128B/WW)
Display: 2x BenQ 1280 x 1024 on both GT640 DVI ports

Today (the system is only several days old), after ejecting an USB 2.0 stick from one of the USB 3.0 ports, the system warned me that one of the USB devices is causing trouble, the overcurrent condition. Nothing but the Apple keyboard and a Logitech mouse is connected. Now, the problem is not that this warning is shown but that the warning is shown every 20 seconds and comes along with some serious kernel issues. In the background, as can be seen in the image below, the kernel task is allocating massive space for new threads - approximately 1000 threads per minute until the whole main memory (16GB) is full. One restart earlier the system reached 170,000 kernel threads with a total allocation of 6 GB memory.

The system has been set up using the guides from http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html and http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html.

After the first BIOS upgrade was faulty and has been automatically overwritten by the backup BIOS, the second attempt (post-os-install) succeeded (BIOS F14).

Tomorrow I will try to uninstall some kexts, maybe I've selected the wrong ones in the first place (first osx86).

Nevertheless, if any of you encountered the same or a similar problem before, feel free to help me rescue my system! :thumbup:

UPDATE: It definitely depends on the sleep mode. Today the error was first shown above the Login window but did not occur later on. After lunch break, the same picture as yesterday: kernel_task 50% CPU - 230,000 Threads - 8.25 GB memory.

kernel_thread_freakout.jpg

UPDATE 2

Unfortunately, the behavior seems to be independent from the sleep mode after all. Today the warnings started right from the start while yesterday the Kext Utility app helped me stop this nonsense. However, this is not working out today. I have still no clue how to solve this. I keep you informed.

[SOLVED] Z77X-UD5H / i7 3770K / GT 640 - USB kernel freak out

UPDATE 3 (solved):

Disabling all xHCI ports did the job. As I don't have any USB 3.0 devices this is no restriction at all for me. Maybe updating the VIA Driver would have solved the problem as well but as I have no Windows OS at hand, we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back