Contribute
Register

Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
That happened to me too. I know USB 2 storage devices don't work in USB 3 ports but I thought I'd try and see what happens and I had to reset my machine. Did this happen to you with a non storage device too?

Yeah I wanted to use a blu-tooth adapter on the front for my Logitech gaming mouse for better reception as the unit is inside a cubby hole in my desk. Plugging a dongle in does the same though. It wasn't doing it in the beginning, but I installed a media drive and has been happening since.

This is the GB score of my machine. Not too bad I guess :)

Untitled1.jpg

I just built mine yesterday with the MSI and a 660 Ti. Works flawlessly. Depending on your budget, you might consider a 670 or 680 - all 3 work out of the box as far as I'm aware and all are great for gaming.

I installed the 660ti and have it working but no sound. How did you go about your install to get everything to function? What type of cable are you running?

I put the 560 back in for now, but that 660 card's video rocked.

Just an update here:

Finally got the 660Ti installed with sound, USB3.0 and Blutooth all working. I'd say this machine is 99% and unless Apple breaks something for us, it's staying the way it is. Everything is very stable even with some modest over clocking.

ScreenShot2013-01-18at11453AM_zps3857a82c.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 1.08.16 AM.jpg

This MSI board is perfect out of the box and was very easy to work with as the OP stated.

Just an update here:

Finally got the 660Ti installed with sound, USB3.0 and Blutooth all working. I'd say this machine is 99% and unless Apple breaks something for us, it's staying the way it is. Everything is very stable even with some modest over clocking.

I use DVI and just use onboard sound for my speakers. Did you have to make a custom DSDT to get audio over the 660 Ti? And how did you manage to stop the USB 3 ports from freezing everything?

I don't know a lot about overclocking, but as a test, I boosted the multiplier to 3.6 GHz and all seems well. I know that's modest but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing first. I think I'd be happy at a stable 4 GHz.

I agree, so far this system has been nothing but rock solid. It's probably because of the high end hardware, but there are even fewer system hiccups on this thing than my 'real' Macs.

I use DVI and just use onboard sound for my speakers. Did you have to make a custom DSDT to get audio over the 660 Ti? And how did you manage to stop the USB 3 ports from freezing everything?

I don't know a lot about overclocking, but as a test, I boosted the multiplier to 3.6 GHz and all seems well. I know that's modest but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing first. I think I'd be happy at a stable 4 GHz.

I agree, so far this system has been nothing but rock solid. It's probably because of the high end hardware, but there are even fewer system hiccups on this thing than my 'real' Macs.

The audio is coming from the mini jack on the board and not thru Displayport. My only issue is the volume is limited. Not sure why but I'm getting this anyway as I don't like the sound from the speakers from the Asus monitor. This package should give it more punch.

View attachment 44155http://www.orbaudio.com/mini-tamplifierandspeakerpackage.aspx

I think using bios 1.60 fixed the usb issue. I don't have a link for it, but I did find it in a thread here dealing with the 660Ti and digital sound. I don't want to mess with the fix they suggest for sound through HDMI/DP. It's not really an issue for me to use the mini jack.

Everyone has an opinion. For me, after having built complete, enclosed-case systems with Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock, I can say I am never going back to Asus or Gigabyte.

As I had intended it to be my main everyday rig, the Asus P8Z68V Pro Gen 3 was the most expensive 1155 board I bought at the time I got it, but I quickly learned that their BIOS is simply third-rate, which may be an insult to third-raters. Can you believe that for the money they charge, these geniuses didn't even see fit to offer a shortcut to a boot menu? Even Gigabyte with its cheesy looking BIOS of old had a keyboard shortcut to simply access a boot menu. But not Asus. You have to go through their BIOS every time. That's poor conception and design. The antithesis of customer satisfaction. That makes it an "F" board and Mobo brand for me.

Gigabyte is treated like a religion at this website, ostensibly because of its native Power Management support. But I've had two Gigabyte boards that were fails right out of the box, another that was so poorly designed when I started putting it together that I took it back. And their first H77 board was a complete joke, with audio and network codecs no one else uses. And another that had faulty RAM slots right out of the box, too. I gave them a fair shot. But Gigabyte is off my list as well.

ASRock was at once a lower-priced option to those two, but now its prices have crept up. I've had real good success with their H67 boards, not quite as stellar with the H77, say 80-85% success rate, and a little worse on their Z77 boards. But their BIOS is easily the best out there of the boards I've tried. As far as power management, it works on some of their boards, not on others. Just like every other board maker.

Can you believe that for the money they charge, these geniuses didn't even see fit to offer a shortcut to a boot menu? Even Gigabyte with its cheesy looking BIOS of old had a keyboard shortcut to simply access a boot menu. But not Asus. You have to go through their BIOS every time. That's poor conception and design.

are you talking about where you can change which hard drive is going to boot first, without going through the bios?
if so, they do have it. you hit F8

I'm having the same problem as valitor had on this thread. The hd4000 kext won't load under non safe mode. Why I don't know. The proper Id is injected in boot.plist. What you guys think.

It turned out it wasn't the fault of the HD4000 iGPU after all.

I've long thought that my machine (ASUS P8Z77-M Pro, i7-3770) were identical to the machine of another user (ASUS P8Z77-M Pro, i7-3770K) except he had an unlocked CPU, and it puzzled me that I couldn't boot 10.8.2 but he could.

Turns out the 3770K indeed has a major difference to the 3770: it does not have VT-d support. The 3770 has, and the presence of it causes 10.8.2 not to boot because Apple made some changes to the VT-d handling.

And the P8Z77-M Pro BIOS has no option to turn it off in the BIOS, so I swapped it for a Gigabyte Q77 mATX mainboard which does have the option to turn off VT-d in the BIOS.

10.8.2 now boots perfectly fine. The HD4000 never was the issue.

you can disable vt-d with the dart=0 boot flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back