RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I read this in a review of the Gigabyte Z590I motherboard:

"First, Z590 offers native PCIe 4.0 support from the CPU, which means the PCIe and M.2 slots powered off the CPU will offer PCIe 4.0 connectivity when an 11th Gen CPU is installed. The PCIe and M.2 slots controlled by the Z590 chipset are still PCI 3.0."

How does this affect the mobo's PCIe slot's capability to run a graphics card advertised as a PCIe version 4.0- capable GPU? Is the one and only PCIe slot "controlled by the Z590 chipset" (and therefore PCI 3.0), or is it "powered off the CPU" (and therefore uses PCIe 4.0 if the CPU is 11th generation)?

As I understand it, the first X16 PCIe slot and first M.2 slot close to the CPU, should both be PCIe 4 x4.

Thanks, craighazan, I was hoping for that. The M.2 slot on the bottom of the board doesn't (from my point of view) need to be version 4.0 since it is not used nearly as much as the primary.

I read this in a review of the Gigabyte Z590I motherboard:

"First, Z590 offers native PCIe 4.0 support from the CPU, which means the PCIe and M.2 slots powered off the CPU will offer PCIe 4.0 connectivity when an 11th Gen CPU is installed. The PCIe and M.2 slots controlled by the Z590 chipset are still PCI 3.0."

How does this affect the mobo's PCIe slot's capability to run a graphics card advertised as a PCIe version 4.0- capable GPU? Is the one and only PCIe slot "controlled by the Z590 chipset" (and therefore PCI 3.0), or is it "powered off the CPU" (and therefore uses PCIe 4.0 if the CPU is 11th generation)?
There are two ITX motherboards from Gigabyte powered by the Z590 chipset : Z590I Vision D and Z590I Aorus Ultra.

Note that in their specifications it is mentioned that PCIe 4.0 using Z590 is supported by 11th generation CPUs only. So if you want to use PCIe 4.0 graphics cards and M.2 SSDs to their full potential you need to use a 11th generation CPU. 10th generation CPUs only support PCIe 3.0 apparently.

Last edited:
@007: Got that, thanks. If i buy, it would be the Aorus, so I would go for the i9-11900F CPU and use an AMD RX 6400 graphics card, which is compatible with PCIe version 4.0. It would be a very small (Apex MI-008) case that requires a single-slot, single-width graphics card like my "Mini-ITX 1 and 2" computers listed below. Also would have to run Windows 11, since the RX 6400 has no drivers available for the MacOS.

Back